Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airline booking questions

Hey friends, forgive my ignorance but Ive never flown in a airplane in my 47 years. :) Who should I book my trip with? Who should I avoid at all costs? :) I know theres dozens of places to book, but Ill take some advise from those of you with firsthand knowledge. I will be leaving Alexandria, La. and flying into San Diego Cal. My tentative surgery date with Dr. Aceves is on 6/18 Any hints on what to take and what not to take? Ill be flying alone so the luggage will be minimal, just dont wanna take anything not allowed by security or whom ever :) Thanks for the help.

Donnie

Pre-op 240

Dr. Aceves 6/18/2011

i booked with priceline.com...names my own price...it was great...i saved a whole lotta money....but i flew delta and had a fine experience..

i packed wayyy to much..but i would definately pack a robe or something to through over you for walkin in the halls after surgery...comfy slip on shoes...and i enjoyed my laptop alot!!! it does get kinda boring..oh and ofcourse your own soaps and stuff...my hospital supplied the shampoos and stuff but i was soo happy i brought my own..just makes you feel better i guess...and i also brought a small firm pillow to hold over my tummy when i had to sit up or lie down..kinda helped to put pressure on my tummy when doing stuff like that.

I always go through Yahoo travel. They just have all the different airlines listed for your day of travel and all the different times of flights with all the different prices on one page. I know there are others, including priceline and expedia. I just have never used those.

I would just take a couple sets of clothes (really loose fitting) and some lounge pants for while lying in the hospital bed. Then of course all of your toiletries and that's about it. I would only take a carryon if you can manage it. You don't want anything heavier to deal with after surgery since you are going alone. Ernesto (the driver) helps with luggage, but once you get off the plane you might not have help.

I took a heating pad, but never needed it. I took wayyy too many clothes. The only thing you might need is some kind of broth or clear drinks for the plane ride home. Also, take some bath wipes to use till you can take a shower. They come in handy to wipe your face and hands, too. If you have a laptop, I would bring it. They have wifi and there are not many English speaking channels on TV and it gets old fast. Maybe bring a couple movies to watch.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!smile.gif

Edited to add...Sounds like Kerry and I had the same ideas about what to take.biggrin.gif

Hi Donnie;

Glad you would ask for advice. I travel often and there is not much to booking a trip. Be careful, do not book with priceline until you know definate surgerry dates. Once you book, you can not cancel trip to get refund. So, first step is to get your date of surgery. Next, find out how long you will be in hospital. SD airport is very close to downtown so you may want to consider gettting a hotel for one day there becasue I have read two stories on this site of people not making it back for their flight in time...in other words consider buffering one day or a later flight just in case. Do you have a passport? You will need one.and this can take up to 6 weeks. Last time I renewed mine as main Post Office in area. Pictures can be taken a costco or Kinkos.

I like travelocity because you can choose +1 days which means you might be able to find a cheaper flight. Depending upon which city you are flying out of - you will choose desination of SAN (San Diego) which is downtown San Diego. Great city to visit if you have never been there with a world renowned zoo, gaslight district, Little Italy, Balboa Park, old town, La Jolla seaside, Naval base with museum and so much more.

Back on subject. Okay so once you have your dates/passport/booked trip highly recommend you tell airline when you book (call airline up once you get a travel confirmation code) and tell airline you need a wheel chair upon return. Why? You get through security faster, you do not have to drag your bags (tip a guy a few bucks and they will drag around for you) AND you get to get on the airplane before everyone else. Lifesafer since no one will be pushing you nor will you stand in a long line waiting to get on.

Purchase before your trip a wheeled suitcase or bag (size limitations to take on airplane) at a discount store like Marshall/TJ Maxx/WalMart to stuff everything in. Also recommend taking Water flavor packets like Crystal light to put in your Water, water which you will need to buy inside airport since it can not go through security. Also if you buy a Lipton Soup - chicken noodle flavor minus the noodles - you can have this with hot water that you can get on plane. Flight attendant will just give you hot water and you can put in Soup Flavor and stir. Take a spoon along if you decide on this comfort food, one is not provided on airplane for return. Take small pillow as this counts as one of your carry on's (you only get two)

Next - there is a thread under General Sleeve Discussion titled "offical what you will need for surgery" listing all the great things to take on your trip. Comfortable clothes, pants that do not sit tight around waist, loose shirt, light jacket (planes always seem cold to me) reading material for several days, chapstick and more.

Whew - hydrate often and rest often is they goal to recovery. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. Good luck on your journey and keep us posted.

Hey friends, forgive my ignorance but Ive never flown in a airplane in my 47 years. :) Who should I book my trip with? Who should I avoid at all costs? :) I know theres dozens of places to book, but Ill take some advise from those of you with firsthand knowledge. I will be leaving Alexandria, La. and flying into San Diego Cal. My tentative surgery date with Dr. Aceves is on 6/18 Any hints on what to take and what not to take? Ill be flying alone so the luggage will be minimal, just dont wanna take anything not allowed by security or whom ever :) Thanks for the help.

Donnie

Pre-op 240

Dr. Aceves 6/18/2011

Just book online at southwest.com. They are by far the cheapest deal. I've been searching for six months for aiine ticket prices and I always go back to SW. Friendly, easy, hasslefree and cheap.

Booking directly with an airline is usually cheaper than the online sites. Check out the different airlines that fly out of your area to San Diego and then plug in the dates and times. See who has the best price. Oh and I packed too much I travelled alone. I did however have a few days before hand that I spent in San Fancisco so that is where the extra clothes came from.

I would pack a couple pairs of your favourite pajama's, socks (keep feet warm if chilly there), shoes that slide on or a flip flop (reduce the amount of bending needed). Travel clothes home should be loose and comfortable. Oh and I used my chapstick for my dry lips. Maybe a pair of sweat pants and a tshirt for when you want to walk outside the hospital. Keep it minimal and you should do well.

Well at southwest, if you buy two seats they refund one if the plane was not completely full. That being said, check out my post in the General VS support Too big to fly, click here

If you are booking to go to Mexico for surgery, you might ask if your surgical center has any recommendations.

I wouldn't fly Southwest if you paid me. Old cramped airplanes, rude staff, and if you are large enough to be considering WLS...then they will probably force you to buy two seats on the plane.

I am here in Mexicali in my hospital room waiting to be sleeved!

I booked with Southwest and have been booking with them since they began and they are the cheapest I can find, usually! I have never had anyone be rude to me at all with Southwest and I was never asked to purchase 2 seats.

Pack light. I packed a carry on so I can just take it with me. I took a small pillow for the plane ride home to hold over my stomach if I have to cough or sneeze. I also brought a heating pad and I'll let you know if I end up using it. I have slippers and bring a robe, they don't have them here!

I also have a wheel chair that will be waiting for me at the airport for the same reasons that are stated above. Our flight will take over 8 hours with stops so I know it will be more comfortable if it is there for me.

If I can think of anything else while I am here I will let you know.

Southwest doesnt fly out of Alexandria....Will book with continental, they have the best rates or the same as the booking agents. Thanks for the replys and the helpful hints.Hope all goes well sarsar....please keep us posted and if you think of anything else I may overlook just let me know!! You guys are great, looking forward to sharing my experience soon.