Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

number of vsg performed

Hi to everyone, I know this has probably been posted many times, but I am still trying to navigate the site..so please bear with me.

When you consult with a surgeon, how many vsg's should be a safe number. I know there is no magic number, but would 100 sleeves be a safe number with 0-leaks?

I have been searching for so, so long if I should or should not do it and have explored many avenues...going to someone in California who has done over 1000 sleeves and is truly an excellent vsg surgeon, but I live in ohio and would like a Dr. close to home, going to Mexico was not for my husband, and after so much research and stress I guess I am just ready to do it.

Oh, and I am a self pay, and I found a Dr. in Cleveland Oh who has done 100 sleeves and I liked him, (although he seems to still thinks gastric bypass is still the best tool) and I will meet with him this week for a consult. I am still guessing if I have made the right decision??!!

Any opinion would be great! I am so thankful for all of you!!

I was my surgeon's 5th sleeve. He has had zero leaks in VSG, though he has had RNY leaks in the past (he has done a LOT of them). Remember that the RNY is a more complicated surgery than the sleeve even though the staple line is smaller. The practice is a Center of Excellence, has a very low complication rate and zero deaths ever. So I decided to be big, bold and brave and sign up as number 5.

Still, as much as I trusted him I was a little nervous about being the 5th. Everything went great though; I have had no troubles except back spasms, and you can't blame the surgeon that my back muscles are wimps.

The number of sleeves is important, but so is overall experience and complication rate. One thing about never having had a leak - leaks happen, even to the best surgeons, and you need to make sure your surgeon would know how to handle it if it did. A leak can be scary but manageable; botched handling of a leak can be life threatening.

More is better, but 100 with no leaks would lead me to believe the surgeon knows what he's doing. Think of the 100th time you did something--changed a diaper, the oil in the car, made a cake--you pretty much knew what you were doing and where the pitfalls were.

Have you checked out the surgeon I suggested any further? I hope you find someone you feel comfortable with so you can get the ball rolling on your new life.

Thanks everyone. Virgina S, thank you for the info that the rny is a more complicated surgery, I believe this surgeon has performed over 2,500 of rny's. I also understand about the importance of "rightly" repairing a leak. ( And it is a center of excellence also).

Foxbins I like the way you think....I have changed many diapers, so I know what you mean. Thanks for putting into simple terms, sometimes I need that.

Treequeen, I know I just need to take the leap of faith and the Dr. we were discussing.....I was told by the director of program that he has done 100 vsg's? I did like your #'s better :D Either way, everyone goes into this knowing the risk, but also the benefits.

Thanks a buch, I really appreciate ALL your kindness and your patience ;)