Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read here that weight loss is fast in the beginning and that some people go through lots of sizes quick. I am a teacher so I have to show up at school looking somewhat put together. Those of you that have been through it... How do you handle that? Do you buy things that a little tight knowing they will fit u a little longer (hate that feeling of something that is too small!)? But 2 nice outfits and wash them every night? Any ideas are apprecitated.

Khy

I go to this place called the Assistance League. I actually just went today and just bought 3 pants and 2 shirts for 4 bucks each. You can go to a local thrift shop or consignment shop to get cheap used clothes. Its worth it knowing that you will only being using them for a month or so. When I'm done, I'll donate them back to the AL. They are a non profit that benifits children of Charlotte for school supplies and anything else they need through out the school year.

I second thrift stores - you can easily pick up nice stuff very cheap. I love Goodwill and Salvation Army!

Don't buy much at once. I have gone from 22-12 in six months. I would only buy from the goodwill store or get hand me downs from co-workers.

I second the hand-me-downs... I have already started collecting smaller sizes... free is best followed by thrift stores on half off days. And sometimes you can even get some good deals on clearance racks if you want to treat yourself to something that is brand new. I know how to sew, so I might just modify what I can. Lots of options!

Hi Khy-

I also work in education. I haven't ventured into the thrift stores yet since I am still at the bottom end of my "skinny clothes". What I've found is that I keep slacks in black, grey and brown at whatever size I am and that shirts can be a tad big without looking bad. I have an outlet mall by me that runs amazing sales so I just buy a few mix and match items there. I am getting to the point that I need to shop for more work clothes but I am holding off since we're about to be off for two months. I would be out of anything I purchased now by then!

Good luck!

Amanda

Watch for clearance sales also. I've gotten some very nice things on clearance for like $3 from Macy's and JC Penny.

I also shopped Goodwill in the beginning and got some things that were like new.

I am just starting to go through sizes. The first 2 months - no change. THe last 3 weeks - I have moved form 18 jeans into borderline 14 jeans. I am shopping at Sears because everything there is pretty cheap. I only buy 2 of anything. For example, I bought 2 pairs of slacks for work in 16, which I know I will drop out of in about 2 weeks, I also bought 2 slacks in 14 so I have something to wear. I just keep it to a few essentials just to get by and I shop where I can find things for $15 or so a piece.

I bought 4 slacks (montioned above) and 3 skorts in size 14 for a trip I am going on and spent less than $100. That should at least get me through June.

Good luck-

Lara

I have found some amazing bargains in work clothes at Goodwill. I have my guest room closet set up with clothes that are too small but lately I have been able to move some things to my work closet as I lose weight!! A great feeling. :). I donated a bunch of size 18/20 clothes to a thrift store this morning.

Like someone else mentioned, if your pants fit well you can wear a blouse that is a little loose. I also am wearing more skirts as they seem more forgiving of a bit of weight variability. What a great problem to have!!

I "undergrew" my supply of jeans, so I'm wearing a pair of the hubbies "34 x 34"'s today! Woot Woot!!!!

I also recommend the thrift stores and consignment shops!!! I've been a long time shopper at those for years.....to the point that when I have to pay retail prices it gives me sticker shock!!!!!!!

OH! And before I forget...some of these forums actually have sections specifically for us "Losers" to clothes swap!!!!! Might check that out too!!

I wear a lot of peasant type skirts and knit tops to work. I get them with elastic waists and can usually buy small and wear for a long time. I've even tightened the waist band with safety pins to increase wearability. I wear the tops until they start falling ogg my shoulders but they look ok until then - just lose.

I have read here that weight loss is fast in the beginning and that some people go through lots of sizes quick. I am a teacher so I have to show up at school looking somewhat put together. Those of you that have been through it... How do you handle that? Do you buy things that a little tight knowing they will fit u a little longer (hate that feeling of something that is too small!)? But 2 nice outfits and wash them every night? Any ideas are apprecitated.

Khy

With spring & summer right around the corner - should be alot of rummage sales - I just got a cute pair of white capri's & a cute top for under $3.00 and you can stock up on items in smaller sizes really easily this way.

I teach high school. I buy empire waist dresses in medium or large - cotton or acrylic only. I like to buy things a little snug (but not obviously too tight) and then I find that I can fit into them for a while because as they get lose, they still look good. I only have to give them away when the arm holes are too large or they no longer fit my bust. Basically - leggings, short A-line dresses, maxi dresses, shrugs/cardigans, sweater jackets. I'm avoiding jeans and very fitted clothes - I would be spending too much money. If I really wanted a good fitting pair of jeans, I'd try and find them at thrift so you aren't paying an arm and a leg for something that will only fit you for about a month max. I get most my stuff from The Rack, Ross and TJ Max. Then as I grow out, I give them to my friends or donate them to the cancer society.

I shop at the local thrift stores and buy off of craigslist. Since it's yard sale season I'm going to start going to those again next weekend to look for clothes. I also look at clearance racks and pick up sizes I know I will get into, even if it its currently too small. I figure I will get there soon enough and have been shocked at some of the things already fitting.

Dresses are great too, they tend to last the longest for me or skirts with a stretchy waist.

Do you have a local support group? Might look to see if there is one and if they do a clothing exchange. My group does a clothing exchange every other month. I've gotten some great things there.

Belts are great too for pants, I know for me, my butt and waist are shrinking faster than my thighs. However I have still dropped from a tight 20 down to a 12/14 in 3 months and gone from a 1x top to mediums and larges.