Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it just me or is this not as easy as it seems?

I was sleeved on Monday and omg!!! I hurt so bad and now the gas pains hurt really bad. I don't feel like myself, i am dizzy and i feel like i can't care for myself. I guess i thought that this surgery would not be as bad as having a gall bladder removed or something, but i was wrong. I can't hardly sleep and my stomach keeps turning into knots. Im not trying to be negative, i just want ppl to know that this surgery is serious and is not an easy answer.

The gas pain hurts alot and i also had severe diarrhea. The diarrhea has calm down some but the gas hurts.

I too am worried about getting in all these Vitamins and Proteins. I felt as if i wasn't getting nutrients which was the reason why i feel so bad and lacking energy. However, taking these vitamins on an empty stomach seems to be too much.

Can anyone help me or give me advice about feeling better and making this healing process go a little faster? I feel so miserable. How long is this going to last? What happens if i don't get all my vitamins or Protein in? Arrrr....Im so worried about everything. PLZ help!!!

Love u each.

Sheena

First of all, quit worrying! The stress will make everything worse. It does get better every day. Your body has to rest and heal. Get as much rest as you can, as much fluids as you can. Don't worry about the Protein too much until you can get in enough fluids. Walking helps the gas pain, so get a little exercise every day, but don't overdo it. You just need to relax and let time do its wonders. You're only going to feel better from here on out!

Thanks

First of all, quit worrying! The stress will make everything worse. It does get better every day. Your body has to rest and heal. Get as much rest as you can, as much fluids as you can. Don't worry about the Protein too much until you can get in enough fluids. Walking helps the gas pain, so get a little exercise every day, but don't overdo it. You just need to relax and let time do its wonders. You're only going to feel better from here on out!

Let me tell you. IT WILL GET BETTER EVERYDAY!!

I was sleeved 11 days ago 5/9. I really didn't have any problems from the surgery other that the gas. It was AWFUL!! I felt like I could not breathe it hurt so bad. For 3 days I was in miserable pain, so I understand and NOTHING makes it better, but time! Walking really doesn't even help, but you should walk to keep from getting stiff!

Second, The poopies will subside too. They are good to help get that gas out. I actually welcomed them because that is what made me feel so much better and get that pressure from under my ribs gone! I was so miserable!!

Focus on getting your liquids in. SIP SIP SIP!! Don't worry about anything else right now. I was so worried about Protein and Vitamins and was making myself crazy. Any liquid you put in your body is going to benefit you at this point. broth, Water, TEA, juice, POPCYCLES!! It doesn't matter, so get to sippin. In 3-5 days you will be able to drink and eat so much better! You probably don't see that right now, I didn't either, but trust me when I say, YOU WILL!!

Everyday gets better. I am only 11 days out and already back to work for 3 days and feeling great. I am drinking 64oz of liquid a day. I am not getting all of my Protein in, but each day, I get better and better at reaching my goal of 80grams. I know you will too!

Just take it one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you can't do it all today. You have the rest of your life to get there! Focus on your fluids for now. That is the most important thing!! My own dr. told me the same thing, "just do liquids if you can't do anything else, I don't want you to get dehydrated!"

Best of luck to you!

Kelly ;)

You got some great advice from the other posters here so the only thing I will add is to not worry about the Vitamins yet. I didn't even start mine until week 3 and you won't develop a Vitamin deficiency in a few short weeks. Fluids are the most important thing right now and moving your body. It IS major surgery and we tend to overlook that in our excitement and enthusiasm for this new tool! Take care of yourself and don't stress any more than you have too. :unsure: Good luck!

Beadingnurse is right...my surgeon doesn't allow his patient to take Vitamins until week 3. Just concentrate on fluids. Proteins work at but don't stress about them. I remember posting almost the same post when I was a few days out.

I was sleeved on Monday and omg!!! I hurt so bad and now the gas pains hurt really bad. I don't feel like myself, i am dizzy and i feel like i can't care for myself. I guess i thought that this surgery would not be as bad as having a gall bladder removed or something, but i was wrong. I can't hardly sleep and my stomach keeps turning into knots. Im not trying to be negative, i just want ppl to know that this surgery is serious and is not an easy answer.

The gas pain hurts alot and i also had severe diarrhea. The diarrhea has calm down some but the gas hurts.

I too am worried about getting in all these Vitamins and Proteins. I felt as if i wasn't getting nutrients which was the reason why i feel so bad and lacking energy. However, taking these Vitamins on an empty stomach seems to be too much.

Can anyone help me or give me advice about feeling better and making this healing process go a little faster? I feel so miserable. How long is this going to last? What happens if i don't get all my vitamins or Protein in? Arrrr....Im so worried about everything. PLZ help!!!

Love u each.

Sheena

Hey NewMeNewDay. I was sleeved this past Friday. I know....hugs...hugs...... Hang in there Lady. It does get better. You are overwhelming yourself with trying to get in everything that you eventually need to do in the first few days after surgery. I know you have heard this before from the great people on this site but each day it really does get better. Let everything and I mean everything else go and just concentrate on you drinking tiny little sips every minute or so and moving a little bit more each time you try to. I know....OWW but ease into it. Little sips and little baby steps. Keeping gently urging yourself to do a little bit more with the movement each time. Concentrate on Tiny Tummy and get to know the feeling of when you have had enough liquids....let that settle...then sip some more. Do not let yourself get dehydrated.....your pee should be light yellow not dark yellow. If I was any where near you I would give you a big ole hug....and then we both would yell OUCH :lol:

Hang in there! You can do this! You have come too far! This is only temporary!

Hey girl, I know it can all be so overwhelming, but as the others have said, just focus on liquids right now to stay hydrated. Try different things at different temps, sometimes cold drinks make our tummies spasm. So room temp or even warm things may feel better. Warm broth, warm tea, etc. And I try to avoid drinks that are acidic, like the lemonade drink mixes for now. Are you on a PPI? I notice that the acid reducing meds are helping a lot on the tummy grumbling and weird noises. I take 2 at night and 1 in the morning. I am walking and taking Gas X strips all through the day for the gas. It seems to be helping, but not eliminating it completely, but it's not causing me a lot of pain. I haven't even started on my Vitamins yet, until I get all the fluids in. I bought some chewable vitamins today and I will try them in the next few days to see how they do. Just hang in there, it will get better.

You need to walk, this helps the body function regain its activity and reduces the gas pains. Vitamins: Try liquid Multivitamin drinks to sip on with your other fluids. Very important!!. I got one at costco called EcoDrink. It comes in a box of 30 packets in orange and berry flavor. You mix one pkt with 16 oz of bottled or filtered Water. It comes with a bottle you can use to sip it with. They said I had to sip very slowly--you should make sure to be sipping your drinks and liquids slowly. I have had a bypass--similar prep 10 yrs ago. My sleeve will be revision surgery, so I am taking extra care in doing my preop diet, sipping, and getting my Proteins and liquids in each day. I hope this suggestion helps you feel better--it will get better!!!:D

I too am worried about getting in all these Vitamins and Proteins. I felt as if i wasn't getting nutrients which was the reason why i feel so bad and lacking energy. However, taking these Vitamins on an empty stomach seems to be too much.

Love u each.

Sheena

The gas was my worst enemy! The only thing that helped me sleep through the gas pain with the ultra strength gas x pills (not strips) and my pain medicine. I could easily sleep til about 4 or 5 before the pains would come back again, and with me I walked everyday sometimes even for about 45 minutes at a time- that did not relieve the gas pains. The only thing that did was the gas x and the pain meds. It eventually just stopped right before I reached week 3. I hope that you start to feel better soon hun.

:D I agree, the gas pains are the worst thing ever (even worst than pain after c-section in my opinion) but you just need to walk and get it out of you system, you'll feel much better in a few days, hugs

New sleeve on Tuesday. The last few 6 days have been very challenging. Just removed the pain pump. Incisions are still a little sore. Drove to grocery store this morning and realize, I will need to be off work for one more week.

(4/20) Starting weight: 310

(5/22) Weight Today 286

Looking forward to this new journey!

I have updated my post to reflect, I feel better today .... SO.... Although you are in pain, I realize you will feel better as the day go by!

One thing for sure, IT DOES HURT FROM THE TIME YOU GO INTO SURGERY.... and THE WORST THING WAS THE UPPER GI -- THIS IS NO FUN... BE PREPARED... but.... 6 days will come and you will feel better.

As for the LOVENOX self administered shots, I have had the luxury of my better 1/2 administering same in my stomach. I do not like needles, and was so afraid not to even bother... BUT decided to obey the doctor to avoid any blood clots.... Geezy! Feeling much better though... I have 6 more days....of the LOVENOX. Hurry up...

Post op on 5/27. Ready to move to Mushy meal plan. =)

Thanks ALL.

Sheena, I don't have anything useful to add except "I feel ya!" Sounds like things really suck for you right now but I bet you anything it'll be worth it. What's a few weeks of suffering for a lifetime of healthier, happier living? (Cheesy, right? But that's what I keep telling myself. :)

Glad I'm not having surgery coming up real soon or anything.... :unsure:

Not like I wasn't scared before, but thanks ladies! LOL Did anyone NOT have any freakin gas pain?!

ybnormal:

I had the bad gas immediately after surgery, but that was the worse day. I still have it now 6 days post op but it's mild and mostly under my left shoulder blade. I am still using the Gas-X, Acid-reducer, and walking, and expelling it as much as possible. Thankfully I am only around close family and not at work or anything haha.

I have truly felt great and had an easy time of it, so I am not sure why so many of us are different wiith this, but my healing has felt easier and faster than I expected. I am scared I am actually gonna forget I even had sleeve surgery and do something stupid and hurt myself. I don't feel limited on doing anything except lifting stuff. Well, and of course the eating, but I haven't had hardly any hunger either. I truly think the PPI acid reducer is the key to a lot of problems. I encourage everyone to take them.