Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Diagnosed???

Hi everyone, I have mainly been a lurker here for the last 3 months.I found this site when I typed in esophagus motilty orders and Geezer Sue and Karen came up (nutcracker esophagus).I was banded in Jan of 2005 a lightweight at 203 but only 5'3" so pretty desparate. I lost slow but I was happy with my weight lost I was down to 149 and one year out when I started having problems. I thought since I was loosing slowly I need to be tighter, so my drs asst tighteded me up way too much, I started suffering from bad reflux and had to sleep sitting up on the couch at nite. I had never had reflux before even before the band. I did go back to get it loosend but it seemed to be too tight even after letting some out. The last time i went in to get some out I was told "you wont loose weight you will gain if you let more out I told the doctor to check me out any way I felt something was not right. He did a fill under fluro only to find that the barium just sit there did not move at all and my esoophagus was dilated.. He was kind of freaked out then and took out all the fill. He sent me for a upper Gi which also showed very little movement when I swallowed.He then sent me to endo dr. who did the upper endo all he found was a couple of irritated places and diagnosed me with esophagitis. This was not bad enough to be the cause of my original problem. He then sent me for a manometry test (this one is horrible)the lady performing the test had her back to me and kept telling me to stop going to sleep(I was wide awake but no movement was taking place when I swallowed so she assume I was asleep.Now 4 months later they have diagnosed me with weak esophagus muscles and I have been told to see a rhematologist.I have put on 4-5 pounds during all these months of testing which shocked me I could do that in one week before the band.I made a deal with my endo dr that I would do the manometry test if he agreed to let me have a small fill if they did not find that I had achalasia(this was what he feared a pretty bad esophagus disorder)I went for my fill this morning but I am a nervous wreck that it will cause me more problems we both agreed on only 1 cc in my 4 cc band. I had no problems before the band I passed my upper GI with flying colors to make sure I could get the band. I do believe the band caused my weak esophagus muscles but I am terrified to regain the weight back. I have been fighting my weight since age 6 and this was the answer to my prayers I thought. I know this is long but in all the research I did to find answers to my problems this was about the only site I found . I think more people then we think has these problems but no one takes the time to tell others. I am stll happy with my band but very nervous.Becky

I think you and I are in the same boat, Becky. I've not had the manometry test, but I know it's coming. My esophagus hasn't been the same in quite some time. Unfortunately, my band surgeon hasn't taken it seriously enough when I tell him I no longer get the sensations in my throat/esophagus that used to. I get a fill, it closes shut, so my band is tight as I can get it, but still, no signals like I used to get. :) Last fill didn't show pouch enlargement, but I know that's bound to come next as I simply get no 'stop' sign anymore.

Leatha, I think maybe older people have more trouble with the esophagus then younger ones I am 47 and it seems that that is more of the norm.It is so frustrating to know that the band is not eroded and I am not PBing but yet I still will more than likely have to have it taken out. It is so embarassing to think that I told my family and friends how great an safe this surgery would be and they will all be watching me ballon back up soon.I have not had any trouble with the fell from this morning so maybe it will be okay at least for a while. My problem showed up in the upper GI also and that test is a lot easier. I would have that one first if I was you. Thanks for listening to me whine. Becky

Hi Becky,

I don't blame you for being nervous! If you have the band taken out, will the problem go away???

Keep us updated.