Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about taking an NSAID for the first time since surgery!

So I was feeling really good this week cause I have 224.6lbs and went from a size 42 jeans to a size 22 in women plus size, also I had my 6 month post op visit and it went well. So I decided to try Rollerskating even though I have severe arthritis in both knees, well I got up on the roller skates and was feeling good and go cocky and fell with all my weight on my Right knee in the Chinese split position! I went to the Dr.'s the next morning and was told not only did I sprain my left wrist I have multiple sprains in my right leg and knee with the possibility of torn ligaments and tendons! I have been Icing for 36hours with no relieve from the swelling in fact my knee is the size of my head. I called my bariatric provider and they said to take liquid children Motrin 400mg for 2 days but to be careful and conscience of the possibility of a bleeding ulcer developing! I took my first dose about an hour ago and it made me feel kind of sick to my stomach. I just want to know other peoples reactions they have had to NSAIDS good or bad. any Info would help! Thank you sooo much.....

I get severe Migraines, and had to take Fiorinal a few time since surgery (contains aspirin). I didn't have any issues, and my surgeon told me as long as I don't use it often, I'm not really any more a risk of developing an ucler. Good luck!

I've taken Advil a few times with no problem. They don't want us to take it if we don't have to since it's been known to cause stomach bleeding. But since Advil is the only thing that works for me, I was told it's okay once in a while. Funny thing is, since losing so much weight, all my aches and pains are gone and I hardley ever need to take it now.

Hey Ness, it's me David from Tuesday group. Sorry to hear that you are not getting better. Those Chinese splits sound real bad. You are so lucky you didnt hurt yourself worse I think your skates might get a little rusty for awhile. I finally talked to Dr. Le about taking IBprofin and he said once in a while and take it with tums. My knees and ankles feel way better with the weight loss but when I get back from a 4 mile walk--I'm in some pain. I took one 800 mg IB and all was fine.

I take one adult size aspirin every morning after eating per my cardiologists orders. Thats why (one of the reasons) I got the sleeve. So far so good. I do make sure I have something in my tummy at the same time though... I re-started this at 6 weeks.

I've taken NSAIDS since being 6-7 weeks out without issues. I always make sure I have something on my stomach before taking just like I did pre-op. It could be just a couple of crackers, or a couple ounces of yogurt. I eat a few bites, swallow the pill with the smallest amount of Fluid it takes to get a pill down, and then take a few more bites. I've taken Aleve regularly, and even 800mg RX Motrin without any problems of any sort.

Hey Ness, it's me David from Tuesday group. Sorry to hear that you are not getting better. Those Chinese splits sound real bad. You are so lucky you didnt hurt yourself worse I think your skates might get a little rusty for awhile. I finally talked to Dr. Le about taking IBprofin and he said once in a while and take it with tums. My knees and ankles feel way better with the weight loss but when I get back from a 4 mile walk--I'm in some pain. I took one 800 mg IB and all was fine.

Hey David I think you are right my roller skates are definitely gonna get rusty after this fall. as for the NSAIDS I talked 2 the bariatric dept and they said I could try Motrin and I called my PCP and he said 400mg dosage or less, so I started taking children liquid Motrin which helped with the swelling but it seemed to upset my stomach a little right away..But it was worth it 2 get relieve from the swelling! I am hoping to be up and walking in the next couple of days cause I don't wanna be wheeled back in2 group....No more skating for me.LoL...

I've been on meloxicam (mobic) long term from pain due to osteoarthritis in multiple joints. Since being sleeved 8 weeks ago I initially cut my dosage in half and have now cut it out entirely. Mobic is a more effective NSAID that celebrex that I used previously till it stopped being effective for pain. Both of these in my experience don't give you stomach problems (like, for example, voltaren does) and certainly nothing compared to the nausea I get from eating solids with my sleeve. Just as an aside my Doc was keen for me to cut out the NSAID because of a history of angina (Vioxx was removed from the market due to effects on the heart in some patients). I expect that the sleeve will ultimately improve the state of my coronary arteries because this has been shown to happen in people in other rapid weight loss programs. So as well as feeling a whole lot better and happier, the sleeve seems to fix a whole bunch of health issues. Hope this info helps.