Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Pain! Please help!

I had some severe pain not too long ago, several trips to the emergency room and several tests later, it turned out to be my gallbladder, it didn't show up on an ultrasound-no stones. The doctor ordered a HIDA scan and it showed the gallbladder wasn't functioning. I had it removed and no more crazy pain.

I agree with Seppi. Even though you had tests done on your Gallbladder, it could still be that. I had Gallbladder attacks that were similar to what you are describing. INTENSE PAIN! And, they are in your back & abdomen.

Gosh, I sure hope you figured this out!!! I am sorry you're going through this!

La Madam,

I have not had problems with my gallbladder, although I do have a stone. Preventing gall bladder disease is one of the reasons I want the Lap Band. I know I'll have to watch myself like a hawk because gallbladder disease is common with rapid weight loss.

NancyRN

"...that people with H Pylori are never in pain. "

Interesting comment. The bacterium h. pylori (aka helicobacter pylori) was discovered about 20 years ago by a couple of Aussie doctors who were NOT gastroenterologists. One of them--Marshall, I think, infected himself with the bacteria, got diagnosed with an ulcer, and then cured it with antibiotics to prove his point. I remember when he was on the talk show circuit...a funny little guy. I think they won a Nobel Prize in medicine...and they were NOT popular with the gastro-guys because they were "outsiders" who accidentally discovered the cure to the most prevalent problem in that field. (Smart-ass outsiders...)

Anyway, h pylori and pain are FREQUENT companions. I don't know how many people scream in pain--but we all have different tolerance levels. I know that my brother-in-law (who wouldn't listen to his smart-ass sister-in-law) felt that HIS ulcer could not be cured with antibiotics and so he didn't try that approach...for another fifteen years. The man was awakened by the pain every night for fifteen years.

H pylori and pain are OFTEN found together.

La Madam,

I have not had problems with my gallbladder, although I do have a stone. Preventing gall bladder disease is one of the reasons I want the Lap Band. I know I'll have to watch myself like a hawk because gallbladder disease is common with rapid weight loss.

NancyRN

And rapid weight loss is a common cause of gallstones. Try not to lose any more weight! :D

Missi, I am so sorry for what you're going through. I have heard similar stories like yours and in the end, it always turns out to be gall bladder even though "nothing shows up" on the ultrasound. There are other tests for gall bladder function that can be done. With pain like yours you should be admitted to a hospital, on IV pain meds, and tested until they find the problem! It makes me so enraged when I hear stories like this and people are sent home. Please keep trying because no one deserves to suffer like that!

Well...I found out what was wrong with me....my band moved and b/c my GI doctor was telling me to try and eat banna's it was causing more irritation thus the horrible pain..I have been on liquids for about 5 days now and it has been bareable...I am taking two different kinds of stomach cramping pills...should be good as new shortly. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Hi Missie,

I'm glad you finally found some answers.

I am also having stomach pain in the lower part of my stomach. Everything feels swollen in there too. It's pretty bad and it radiates to my left shoulder and left side of my neck.

I've been taking ant acids and aloe, sipping on ginger tea right now and it helps a little, but not totally.

I had a scope and xrays about a month ago and everything showed up fine.

Wish we all had answers.

I think this is just the consequences for having a foreign object in our body. Sorry you are hurting! I've been there too! Just drink liquids....that's what helped me! Not to eat for a week and now I can eat normally. You might want to get your band loosened too...I got all the Fluid out of mine...helps it calm down.

leenerbups

Sometimes when I feel really hot in the insides and pain in tummy I now dont take any antacids but I take 2 500mg panadol/panado/paracetamol tablets and it really not only takes away the pain but also the heartburn,hot feeling....dont do this often but once a week at least I am fedup with the discomfort and then I have a nice normal day...well for most of the day at least.

Keep the faith...try to just live from day to day....Its hard to hear nothing is wrong that means nothing can be done for your symtoms but meds....

I must say if I was having only good days lately until i messed around and got a fill that was 2 tight...now even after unfill...well...I am getting there...

leener, I'm pretty sure the Panadol is Tylenol. Is this right desertmom? You can et Tylenol in liquid form and that should go past the band better, plus you can wash it through. You don't want meds sitting on the band. You may also consider switching form antacids to an acid reducer. I think you are on Nexium? Am I remembering? If so, that's good. the Nexium and Prilosec and Zantac and Prevacid are acid reducers. Tums is an antacid. You want your stomach to not produce so much acid...the Tums just neutralizes acid that's already there. Know what I mean? Anyway, hope that helps.

Kathy you are right.But the tylenol must be the sugar free one...the ordinary Tylenol that has sugar in it makes me more "hot" inside....

Anyway,sometimes an ordinary pain killer takes the pain in the back plus the reflux and heartburn or rather hot feeling inside away...know it sound strange but after 15 months I know all the tricks of the trade...and some days nothing helps....also I know the aloe vera helps for a lot of people,well it made me worse....

The point is I think that different things seems to work for different people and what works today for me doesnt neccessarily work tomorrow.....for instance why do I still have this burning sensation after I've now had the unfill?

Leener,I hope you can sort it our or come to terms with the way you feel (easier said than done in my case )but at least I have now decided to just try and lose the weight and then take the band out.....now I am struggling with the 50 odd pounds I still have to lose...a lot but I am sure I will do this before my 2nd year of having this band is over...and then I will set myself free form this neverending fire in my insides....

anyway,good luck.....

Me too...I am 170 and I usually go back to 180 and then lose it and then gain it...etc etc...but I am really just trying to get there and be done with it. Will it get better once we take out the band or will it be this way even after it's out? That's what I have been wondering this whole time. Along with the feeling hot and burping all the time...anyone have nausea too??