Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods I can eventually eat

Hi everyone. I'm so glad to find this web site. I'm going into sleeve surgery on 6/1/2011, and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have a few questions that I'd love for you guys that have done the sleeve to answer for me please.

1- I don't want to look back and have any regrets for doing this surgery. Do you have any regrets, and what are they?

2- Can I eventually have a piece of bread after I have healed completely? How about rice?

Thank you in advance for any tips.

Hi everyone. I'm so glad to find this web site. I'm going into sleeve surgery on 6/1/2011, and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I have a few questions that I'd love for you guys that have done the sleeve to answer for me please.

1- I don't want to look back and have any regrets for doing this surgery. Do you have any regrets, and what are they?

2- Can I eventually have a piece of bread after I have healed completely? How about rice?

I think everyone has a moment in the beginning of "what have I done" . I have to say it is only a fleeting moment and then it is gone. I do not regret a single moment as I will finally achieve my goal and maintain it.

You should be able to eat anything when your tummy is up to it. I would avoid high carb foods in the beginning to maximize your weightloss but later on having a piece of bread here or there should be fine. Same with rice. It all depends on if your tummy will tolerate it. So far my tummy has been fine with foods I put into it. I tried a small spoon of rice last week and it went down fine. I have not tried bread as that is my weakness and I do not want to push my luck.

Hope this helps.

Congrats on getting your date ! ! !

1- I don't want to look back and have any regrets for doing this surgery. Do you have any regrets, and what are they? Zero regrets, not a single one

2- Can I eventually have a piece of bread after I have healed completely? How about rice?Early out, I chose to NOT eat those things because eating Protein was my priority, and I didn't have room for those foods during my losing. Rice and bread are now both slider foods for me. All that means is that I can eat a lot more of those foods than I could early out, and I can eat more rice than I can eat meat. So, those things are kept in moderation even below goal and in maintenance. I eat all foods, do not deprive myself, but that's because it's what works for me. You'll get a wide variety of answers/experiences and you'll be able to find what works for you. The best thing to is follow your surgeon's plan through your losing phase, and then tweak things once you get into maintenance.

Best wishes on your surgery.

Thank you for the replies. May I ask a couple more questions?

3- I like to sleep on my side. It's been a habit of mine forever. Have any of you had Ny difficulty swigging positions in bed or sleeping sideways?

4- Right after surgery, is it safe to go to the bathroom for a #2 and push? (sorry, had to ask)

1. I have no regrets, none, zero, zippo. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

2. I do not eat bread by choice. I have eaten rice in small quantities and it's fine.

3. Immediately after surgery, sleeping on my side was uncomfortable. I could side-sleep comfortably at about 2 weeks.

4. Right after surgery, most people don't have to push...liquids in, liquids out. By the time you are eating real food, you are healed enough to push.

Hi, No regrets here but the first week out I did have a few what have I done moments I think everyone does and it does pass quickly. I can eat both rice and bread but since surgery I am kind of indifferent to them now. I am a side sleeper too I was able to continue to sleep on my side with my body pillow I could only sleep on my left side the right side was painful early on and I had a drain on my right side the first nine days. Foxbins is right it is fluids in fluids out the first weeks when you are eating liquids only so pushing was not an issue for me.

I am two weeks out tomorrow and so far no regrets whatsoever.

I can't answer about bread and rice because I am still on liquids. ;)

I was able to sleep on my right side as soon as I got home; the left side took a few days.

My first plop was three days after surgery. I was afraid to push so I just waited until I had to go enough that gravity could do its thing. I have only had a loose stool once.

Hope this helps!

Oops. I meant poop in my post--not plop.

Oops. I meant poop in my post--not plop.

It worked anyway :D

I am at six days.

1. In post op the first day it was not so much regret as my brain and body scrambling to understand the severity of what had happened- which nothing can truly prepare you for imo. During that confusing and difficult series of impulses- wel, I would describe the thought as WTF? rather than regret.

2. Not an issue yet but bread is a trigger food for me so I will do without for a long long time- and I have heard rice is tough so any food I have heard described thusly

will wait even longer.

3. I have slept on my left since coming home- it faces in to the bed where my family is! (DH and dog) It is a little incomfortable but is also the side I always sleep on. I switch back and forth from left to back.

4. I have had diarrhea a couple of times as well as a tiny amount of what I guess you would call poop (plop ;-P) but have not had to strain. Sure hopes that continues.

The only regret I have about my sleeve is that I didn't do it 13 years sooner (at age 30) biggrin.gif

For some weird reason I was craving white bread after surgery. I say weird because I never ate it before surgery. Normally always eat whole grain/whole wheat. Anyhoo, it just doesn't go down well AT ALL for me, so it's out. If I eat a cheeseburger I usually take the top bun off before I eat it.

As far as white rice goes, I have it several times a week (because I love making rice bowls, with chicken or fllet mignon, quick n easy after working all day). I don't eat a lot, just something to go with the meat. And it's fine.

Gosh, you guys are wonderful. Thank you so much for the insight. I feel less apprehensive now that I have the opinions of others who have gone through it. Thank you

I am 5 weeks post op today and no regrets AT ALL...By the grace of God...I have had no issues.

Like everyone said in the beginning you're like what did I do...but other than that i am fine.

I too am a side/stomach sleeper and it was hard for me for about 2-3 weeks but now i am back to normal.

I still dont strain during #2...

and my doc/nutritionist say no bread/rice for six mos, and I am fine with that