Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI and still having VSG

I started with a BMI of about 32. That gave me about 50 lbs to lose. Check out my ticker! I'm very happy. I self-paid so that was easy.

I was so excited to read ur post. Where is ur doctor? i am willing to self pay since my bmi is also 32. what was the total cost for ur gastric sleeve?

I had my surgery In Tj and I have 60 lbs to loose But a friend of mine had 20 lbs to loose and they also did her. NO BMI restriction

I mam kind of stunned that a doctor would remove 85% of the stomach of someone with 20 pounds to lose. I can't imagine that! I would wonder about a doctor like that- I mean- you can lose a lot just doing the two week liquid prep. Wow, that is really bizarre to me. I am surprised Dr. Almanze would actually do that,

I agree with you completely, It's a shame that professional people would risk someones life for a mere 20lbs. That is against the law in this country for a reason. Apparently this person didn't have a weight problem but a vanity issue. I can't believe it and it shouldn't happen. Most women after child birth hang on to an extra 20bs for awhile. Sounds like their metabolism is ok, hope they don't run into anorexia issues.

I mam kind of stunned that a doctor would remove 85% of the stomach of someone with 20 pounds to lose. I can't imagine that! I would wonder about a doctor like that- I mean- you can lose a lot just doing the two week liquid prep. Wow, that is really bizarre to me. I am surprised Dr. Almanze would actually do that,

I was so excited to read ur post. Where is ur doctor? i am willing to self pay since my bmi is also 32. what was the total cost for ur gastric sleeve?

Dr. Mark Pleatman in Michigan. The total cost for Dr and Hospital was $11, 200. Because I was from out of town I had to stay in a hotel one night before and after. I'm so close to my goal its unreal!

I'm sorry....I just can't imagine putting my life in the hands of a surgeon who's willing to perform a major abdominal surgery on a patient for a measly 20 pounds. I always thought the VSG was a tool to help those who truly struggle to lose weight achieve their weightloss goals. I would have some major reservations going to a surgeon who's willing to cut into someone just for vanity purposes. Not trying to be snarky or rude, its JMHO.

I had my plication at BMI 30, which seems to be the lowest BMI people operate on (both Mexico and Belgium operate at 30). I was told that if I weighed in at BMI 29.9 it wasn't going to happen, no way, no how. I tried chugging Water just to ensure it was BMI 30 but kept having go to the bathroom, so don't bother with that technique.

Just make sure you qualify before paying your deposit, as I gained ~30lbs in 2 months (I'd just crashed out of doing WW and another diet for 12 months) and assumed the weight increase would continue, but it seemed to top out at the BMI 30 mark but I was scared of going higher.

I was very borderline and it's not a game worth playing, so make sure you're really eligible. Note I'm not advocating gaining to qualify though, if you're at a BMI of 27 stay where you are. The weight doesn't just magically drop off and you still need to work hard at diet and exercise.

BTW on the morning of surgery they were debating my BMI (it comes out differently on different sites), but I'd worked it out on http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ which puts your BMI lower than the calculator on alli website. They were threatening to band me!!

BTW you can get a gastric balloon at BMI 28. Success, I understand, can be limited but you could investigate it.

All the best! smile.gif

TJP

I had the balloon a few years ago, wouldn't recomend it I lost some weight (around 22 lbs) only to put it all back and then some more after it was taken out. It was a waste of money.

My opinion about Dr. Almanza has definitely lowered since hearing he did a sleeve on someone 20 pounds overweight. I am NOT one who looks at surgery in Mexico in a negative way as my sister lives in Del Mar and has gone there for dentistry, etc for years. I know the standard of care is excellent but this I find appalling.

I don't get it. Why would you put yourself through this for 20lbs? I lost more than half that on the pre op diet. Again, I don't get it.

Hey maybe we should not judge the doctor or the person who feels like they want to lose 20lbs. Most of on here are keeping our WLS a secret because we don't want to be judged. Then here we are judging others.

Hey maybe we should not judge the doctor or the person who feels like they want to lose 20lbs. Most of on here are keeping our WLS a secret because we don't want to be judged. Then here we are judging others.

The person, I totally understand. I feel compassion for anyone battling their weight, and the pain and sadness it involves.

The doctor, on the other hand- sorry but there are standards. I find this really suspect.

We have to judge the doc. That's precisely what you do when you choose one. There's a lot on here and other WLS forums about Dr Almanza, so investigate for yourself and make your own decision.

Like Meggie I don't judge patient as we're all in the same boat, just to different degrees - or lbs! cool.gif

BTW I didn't put the link on the surgeon's name below. He's obviously paid for a hyperlink to go in when his name's used.

We have to judge the doc. That's precisely what you do when you choose one. There's a lot on here and other WLS forums about Dr Almanza, so investigate for yourself and make your own decision.

Like Meggie I don't judge patient as we're all in the same boat, just to different degrees - or lbs! cool.gif

I had my plication at BMI 30, which seems to be the lowest BMI people operate on (both Mexico and Belgium operate at 30). I was told that if I weighed in at BMI 29.9 it wasn't going to happen, no way, no how. I tried chugging Water just to ensure it was BMI 30 but kept having go to the bathroom, so don't bother with that technique.

Just make sure you qualify before paying your deposit, as I gained ~30lbs in 2 months (I'd just crashed out of doing WW and another diet for 12 months) and assumed the weight increase would continue, but it seemed to top out at the BMI 30 mark but I was scared of going higher.

I was very borderline and it's not a game worth playing, so make sure you're really eligible. Note I'm not advocating gaining to qualify though, if you're at a BMI of 27 stay where you are. The weight doesn't just magically drop off and you still need to work hard at diet and exercise.

BTW on the morning of surgery they were debating my BMI (it comes out differently on different sites), but I'd worked it out on http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ which puts your BMI lower than the calculator on alli website. They were threatening to band me!!

BTW you can get a gastric balloon at BMI 28. Success, I understand, can be limited but you could investigate it.

All the best! smile.gif

TJP

i had my surgery march 2011; my BMI was 30 but i also have high blood pressue; high cholesterol, has gestational diabetes and have a horrible family history of cardiac disease. have 6 brothers all under age 63 ys ; one has had stents, open heart bypas; one had carotid endarterectomy; another has 3 stents and my mother had her first heart attack age 52 and died before she turned 65. so dr. kelly in mexico did my sleeve because of my family history and the 50 lbs i need to lose which i have been carrying around since 1993. i have lost 36 lbs and now i take 1/2 dose of my high blood pressure pill; i feel great. dr. kelly charge me 5300.00 it covered all hospital costs plus two nights in hospital, two nights in hotel (i just paid for airfare and the package cost 5300) and my niece came along for support. dr. kelly is the best.