Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a little sugar...

So... I have never used artificial sweetener, never in my 57 years except when I was in my teens and TAB was made with cyclamates- the best artificial sweetener ever.

I just can't stand the after taste. In addition, everything made with them is sickeningly sweet. Though I did find a couple of Protein Drinks I can tolerate in general I just can't stomach them.

Naturally that is even more true post surgery, unfortunately. At the hospital the Protein Drink I got was ghastly. Since the Decaf tea came with those usual blue and pin packets I drank it unsweetened and I hated it. The broth was only slightly more palatable- at least it wasn;t sweet. I really had trouble getting liquids in in general. I actually was forced to spend a second night in hospital due to not getting enough liquids i what with the chest and stomach pain, gas, etc.

SO I am home now, on my own territory, with three full weeks on full liquids ahead of me- fortunately that includes cottage cheese, cream Soups, and other savory stuffs but I am still let with the fluids issue. I plan to try sugar free pudding Jello, and popsicles but I fear them totally. I am doing a lot of warm Water but- really is putting a half a teaspoon of sugar in 24 ounces of water going to ruin my success with the sleeve? As long as I include them in my carb count does it really matter? I am a complier but I nee a great reason for the things I do.

Well, I can only speak from my own experience so here goes:

I have eaten/drunk full sugar products from day one. I'm not saying it's the best way to go, who knows? But it's the only way I could go. I cannot tolerate any artificial sweeteners whatsoever. I have tried. Just can't do it.

So, I have found myself also looking for things to drink even at 9 weeks out. I don't WANT to drink all that sugar (in my gatorade, lemonade, tea, what have you) but I can't drink plain Water yet. It turns my tummyblink.gif

While my weight loss might not be as super fast as others, I have lost 33 pounds since sugery and 43 pounds since pre-op diet, which I don't think is too shabbysmile.gif It actually could be much more if I would get my fluids in like I should, oh and if I would get all my Protein in (I really try, but I can't drink the shakes so it has to come from food). Oh yeah, and if I would just exercise.

I'm gonna get right on all those shortcomings very soon. I am just now getting some energy back. Just want to add that eating/drinking the sugar has not given me cravings one time. I have heard that it can ( but so can artificial ones) so just be aware of that!

Good luck with your diet. I know you will do greatsmile.gif

Well, I can only speak from my own experience so here goes:

I have eaten/drunk full sugar products from day one. I'm not saying it's the best way to go, who knows? But it's the only way I could go. I cannot tolerate any artificial sweeteners whatsoever. I have tried. Just can't do it.

So, I have found myself also looking for things to drink even at 9 weeks out. I don't WANT to drink all that sugar (in my gatorade, lemonade, tea, what have you) but I can't drink plain Water yet. It turns my tummyblink.gif

While my weight loss might not be as super fast as others, I have lost 33 pounds since sugery and 43 pounds since pre-op diet, which I don't think is too shabbysmile.gif It actually could be much more if I would get my fluids in like I should, oh and if I would get all my Protein in (I really try, but I can't drink the shakes so it has to come from food). Oh yeah, and if I would just exercise.

I'm gonna get right on all those shortcomings very soon. I am just now getting some energy back. Just want to add that eating/drinking the sugar has not given me cravings one time. I have heard that it can ( but so can artificial ones) so just be aware of that!

Good luck with your diet. I know you will do greatsmile.gif

Tanks for telling me this. I remember now you saying that about the sweeteners. Seriously I am also concerned about what we will find out in the future about their toxicity. I do have a couple of Protein drinks I have found that I can tolerate (Chike- using the net carbs it just fits in as a double Protein single carb drink, and Champion Pro Scoree 100 in chocolate...and sort of the nectar stuff) but I do not want to over consume these things and even though splenda tastes ok if you carefully do not add too much I am not keen on using it, and sugar free EVERYTHING.

I still have a hard time with sweetners. I try to find things with sugar and then just dilute them. I know that it slows my weight gain, but I am happy to loose only a couple of pounds a week. Slower is better because it will be more permanent and I won't have all that loose skin hanging on my body!

As long as you are conscious about it, I think you will be fine. I am about 11 weeks post-op and I have lost a total of 48 lbs. I am pretty happy with the weight loss so far and I am even happier that I can finally get in the total amount of fluids. Just this last week, i started being able to drink enough liquid!

Good luck! Happy that you are now on our side:)!...the loser's bench always has room for more!!

Know how they grow bacteria in a petri dish? Add sugar. You don't want to do that to a new surgery. Your tastes will change over, give them a chance.

Just my thoughts.

Renee`

Stevia and agave are popular options as is that "sugar in the raw". My one RNY friend can not tolerate artificial sweeteners either and she's used the raw sugar since day 1, she dropped 175lbs in her first year post-op. Grant it, she has malabsorption on board, but she also had to adjust to what would work for her. I'm a Splenda girl. I haven't drank Crystal light or any other aspartame sweetened fluids/jello/pudding/popsicles since getting out of the post-op diet because I could not tolerate and still can't tolerate aspartame stuff. It literally hurts my stomach now to eat sugar free/aspartame sweetened stuff. It causes gas/cramping. I tried switching over to Truvia because I had a coupon for a free box, and I used it once, and was in pain for 2 hours. Least to say, that box was given to a friend that loves the stuff.

For your Water, try slicing up a cucumber, or lemon/lime putting in a pitcher with the Water and letting it sit in the fridge overnight so you get some natural flavors without the extra sweeteners if you're sensitive to sweet stuff right now.

I still have a hard time with sweetners. I try to find things with sugar and then just dilute them. I know that it slows my weight gain, but I am happy to loose only a couple of pounds a week. Slower is better because it will be more permanent and I won't have all that loose skin hanging on my body!

As long as you are conscious about it, I think you will be fine. I am about 11 weeks post-op and I have lost a total of 48 lbs. I am pretty happy with the weight loss so far and I am even happier that I can finally get in the total amount of fluids. Just this last week, i started being able to drink enough liquid!

Good luck! Happy that you are now on our side:)!...the loser's bench always has room for more!!

Melissa, what are you finding that you can drink? Are you able to drink Water again? Just looking for some ideas. I have been diluting my lemonade so it won't be sooo sweet. But that gets boring after a while.

I have artificial sweeteners running in my veins, starting with saccharine and Tab since I was old enough to hold the can myself. :D That said, I'm not a huge aspartame fan, but I do use it. I find that if I Water things down 2-1 over what they're supposed to be, it's okay and not too sweet. I have eaten sugar post-op, especially in a "diet" quark I was eating all the time, and then found out was made with sugar. <_< I also eat a bit of dark chocolate sometimes. It hasn't made me sick or anything. I am a slowish loser anyhow, but it's certainly not down to sugar abuse lol.

I drink plain Water all the time now, not a problem. But I never had a liquid phase where I had to live off those shakes, though the one I can find here isn't overly sweet. I honestly mixed it with way less powder than the instructions said to.

Glad to hear you are now post-op AND ship-shape. :)

Hi Meggie,

Glad you're home safe and sound.

As for the Protein drinks, you might want to try the Atkins low carb/low sugar. They are 15 grams of Protein, 6 carbs, 2 sugars, 160 cals, 11 oz. I was able to get to 4 of these a day by the second week. You can buy one and see how you like it. Sometimes the grocery store has sales with a buy one get one free.

Feel better!

Raine.

I second Tiffykins recommendation on flavoring Water with cucumbers or a maybe even a squeeze of lemon. I also have a hard time finding drinks I like. And artificial sweeteners? YUCK! By the same token, I find that sugary things are way too sweet for me now. I supplement my Water with a little iced tea. When I was really dehydrated in the beginning I had some full-sugar gatorade and will occasionally water down gatorade as a beverage today (its still too sweet if I drink it straight).

Bottom line, sugar will not kill you in small doese, but you have to be congnizant of what it is doing to your cravings, if anything at all. Maybe you can make a simple Syrup and then use a little bit of that to sweeten your drinks? You can also infuse a simple syrup with mint and that my encourage you to use less sugar?

Good luck--

Lara

Have you tried the Propel Zero? They gave this to me at the hospital after surgery and I love it! There are several different flavors. I like the grape the best tastes just like grape kool-aid, without the bad stuff! lol

I have decided this- I really do not have choice at least at this point. The 2 lb Protein Drink that arrived today- my very very fave before surgery- not a chance.

i got more fluids- but how will i get Protein?

Have you trie natural sweetners like stevia or agave nectar?

stevia was awful- have not tried agave

Know how they grow bacteria in a petri dish? Add sugar. You don't want to do that to a new surgery. Your tastes will change over, give them a chance.

Just my thoughts.

Renee`

renee - the jury is out on artificial sweeteners - aside from being unable to stand the taste this past few days- even the ones I could stomach before the surgery- I am not sure about their long term effect. I feel forced to make a health choice I do not want to make. Once I have REAL food I of course can avoid sugar.

Stevia and agave are popular options as is that "sugar in the raw". My one RNY friend can not tolerate artificial sweeteners either and she's used the raw sugar since day 1, she dropped 175lbs in her first year post-op. Grant it, she has malabsorption on board, but she also had to adjust to what would work for her. I'm a Splenda girl. I haven't drank Crystal light or any other aspartame sweetened fluids/jello/pudding/popsicles since getting out of the post-op diet because I could not tolerate and still can't tolerate aspartame stuff. It literally hurts my stomach now to eat sugar free/aspartame sweetened stuff. It causes gas/cramping. I tried switching over to Truvia because I had a coupon for a free box, and I used it once, and was in pain for 2 hours. Least to say, that box was given to a friend that loves the stuff.

For your Water, try slicing up a cucumber, or lemon/lime putting in a pitcher with the Water and letting it sit in the fridge overnight so you get some natural flavors without the extra sweeteners if you're sensitive to sweet stuff right now.

Thanks for the idea Tiff! BTW curious- do you use splenda during the pregnancy? Splenda is by far the most palatable for me (NOT TODAY!!! :() but I worry about the left handed molecule and some of the other info about it.

For sugar free Popsicles, the only ones I could tolerate are the Edy's brand fruit pops that are sugar free. They tasted so much better than the regular sf Popsicles.

YOU HAVE SAVED ME!!!!!! All Caps on purpose! Here in the west Edy's is Dryers and I have had 2 today- I can get them down pretty quickly! And they are delish and soothing and since I have had about 10 calories today do I care about the carbs? NO.

Hi Meggie,

Glad you're home safe and sound.

As for the Protein drinks, you might want to try the Atkins low carb/low sugar. They are 15 grams of protein, 6 carbs, 2 sugars, 160 cals, 11 oz. I was able to get to 4 of these a day by the second week. You can buy one and see how you like it. Sometimes the grocery store has sales with a buy one get one free.

Feel better!

Raine.

I will get one tomorrow! Too many new things on the shopping list today. Thanks!

Have you tried the Propel Zero? They gave this to me at the hospital after surgery and I love it! There are several different flavors. I like the grape the best tastes just like grape kool-aid, without the bad stuff! lol

Have a bottle of grape chilling. Thanks.

Today in addition, my doctor let me know he wants clears plus protein drinks for three weeks. I am pretty upset now about all this as though I have gotten much more Fluid in I haven't a cue how I will do protein with only sweet artificial protein drinks. Sigh.