Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Can I Get the Ball Rolling?

Is there anything I can do (gather paperwork, contact insurance company, etc...)before my first appointment with the surgeon so that I can move the process along quicker?

I do know that the lap band is available under my insurance b/c I called with the CPT code.

Hi Clovermeg,

There certainly are things you can do before the first appointment! Try to get from your surgeon the list of tests they'll need to have in place, and then start having them done. You should probably schedule a physical and complete bloodwork, and the results of that will tell your doctor if any additional tests (cardio, sleep, whatever) will be necessary.

You should also write up an extensive diet and weight history, because both your surgeon and your insurance carrier will want it. Good luck!!

you may want to find out what other appts are required ie: nutritionist and physchologists, and book those now. we i go its a month + wait for a nutrition appt. you may also want to find out if he requires you to go to monthly meetings you may want to start attending now. :grouphug:

you may also want to call your ins co and see what type of requirements they require for approval. some companies make you attend six months worth of meetings or a certain # of nutrition appts before theyll approve you.

hope this is helpful.

Thank you!

I have an appointment with a psychologist in two weeks. I didn't know if it would be okay to ask the insurance company those questions....

I called my insurance co and asked them the exact requirements they wanted for me to go through and they told me everything, mine even assigned me a special care RN who followed me from me first appt until now. shes never helped anyone go through the process so she learned as i did, and made my life ten times easier. it also shows them that you really want to do the right thing.

but if your worried it may offend them just wait and your surgeon will tell you at the first visit.

Hi My name is Brenda and i am in dire need to speak to someone out there who has had gastric banding. Well to start i am 34 with 2 children and i weight in at 297 and stand 5 feet tall. I have done all my work up's and went to the surgeon and am one appointment away from surgery but i find myself getting scared. The after part scares me and i really have so many medical problems that i need to do it but the sickness, and skin hanging and breast sagging scares me to death.... please can someone help me?

Mskobe read around the forum. There are lots of folks that do fine. Remember that many times on this type forum you hear from folks when they are having problems. So don't let that rattle you. Read, research and ask lots of questions.

Myra

Hey Brenda,

Myra was totally right that this forum sometimes only shows you the worst and not the best. I went in w/ a list of medical conditions as well, most which can't be helped w/ weight loss, and yes I too have had some problems, but mine were trial and error stuff, ie: not having small enough bites, or losing track of time and trying to scarf down my food, but the rewards totally outweigh the bad stuff.

I have only been banded for 2 months, but have known ppl that are 2yrs out and none of them are sagging. One of the tricks that I was told was to excercise, the more you excercise and strength your body, the fat will turn to muscle. For your breasts, I know that everyone is different, but I have actually gone down 2 sizes, and its the area around my ribs has actually gone down and I can feel the bones, which is the first in a long time.

Its totally only natural for you to get nervous, I knew I wanted this sx w/ every Fiber of my being but the wkend before my sx I got a little nervous, but this has been the greatest thing that I could have ever done. Just keep thinking about how great life will be after you shed some weight and go down a few sizes.

Hope this helps, and dont be afraid to ask ?s here the ppl are great.