Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! I'm 5 days post op and downing 12 oz of liquid in 20 minutes

I am five days post op and I drank 12 oz of liquid in 20 minutes. This seems to be a lot to me. Is there something wrong? Is this an indication that my weight loss will not be as significant as it could have been with a different surgeon? is this all in vain? Im freaking out because I know of others who cant conceive coming close to consuming this amount in just 5 days!!!

I am five days post op and I drank 12 oz of liquid in 20 minutes. This seems to be a lot to me. Is there something wrong? Is this an indication that my weight loss will not be as significant as it could have been with a different surgeon? is this all in vain? Im freaking out because I know of others who cant conceive coming close to consuming this amount in just 5 days!!!

OK, deep breathe. Are these light liquids like Water, crystal light, etc? Because I did that - I started mushies and can't eat 1/4 cup, can't even eat a full scrambled egg, but I can drink me some liquids!

I think the difference is that the valve at the bottom of the stomach, the pylorus, doesn't close when you drink liquids but does when you eat solids. So other than that your stomach, etc is healing very quickly this doesn't mean anything.

A word of warning - try this with heavier/protein drinks and sooner or later you will pay. My body seems to treat some Protein drinks like liquids, but I learned early on not to assume that because I made it very, very angry with one about day 7. So when you get to anything besides liquids that pour straight through, don't assume the ease of drinking will translate. Eat, and drink thick drinks, slowly as instructed.

You'll be OK.

Don't worry! Consider yourself lucky that you will be able to stay hhydrated. I agree with the post above that Protein drinks will be different and real food will stop you in your tracks. Keep treating every new thing you eat or drink very carefully. Your stomach will revolt if you are moving too fast with a food/drink of substance.

It's too early to freak out!! :-)

I'm on day 2 weeks out and can consume a lot of liquids too, however, this morning I was in a rush to get to work and didn't drink my Protein drink slowly and my stomach decided to revolt! I usually take between an hour and an hour and half to drink a 12 oz Atkins low carb low sugar Protein Drink with 15 gr of Protein (I try to get 4 of these in a day but usually manage about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2, and today only did it in about 35-40 min. I was ill for about a good hour after that. Didn't actually get sick but that "sick" feeling stuck with me. Water goes down smoothly and no problems.

Looking forward to the mushie stage after my doc gives me the ok on Thursday. My first post op visit, and it cant get here soon enough!

I think the difference is that the valve at the bottom of the stomach, the pylorus, doesn't close when you drink liquids but does when you eat solids. So other than that your stomach, etc is healing very quickly this doesn't mean anything.

Wow! you all are wonderful. I didnt know anything about a pylorus. Im researching this immediately. Thank you all!!! I was totally tripping out...

I seem to have the same feelings. I can get down my liquid quite easily. All I ever remember reading is sip, sip, sip, but I don't have any problems getting a light liquid down. I just hope that my stomach is small and restrictive. I know I saw it in the x-ray or swallow and well it seemed small. Just nervous and waiting to get to mushies so I can start feeling some restriction.

I'm 2 days post op and I think I drank 2 liters of Water yesterday (along with 2 lites of IV Fluid. I was in the restroom every hour or two!).

It's not a sign of anything wrong, but a sign of something very right. Usually it's post op swelling that causes sleevers to not be able to take down Water or clear fluids. You don't have that swelling or you got over it very quickly, and that's a good thing. It doesn't mean you're going to be eating a lot once you start actulaly EATING. get all your Vitamins in (especailly B vits) and you'll be fine.

[[Template forums/front/topics/postContainer is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

forever, I could have written this myself!! I'm 7 days post op and I've had such an easy time with my liquids. I was thinking the exact same thing..........the surgery isn't going to work for me!! I've been so very lucky with the entire experience..........no pain at all, but of nausea the first two days. I'm so glad to read this isn't going to last and I will feel restricted once I begin with solids.

So far I'm off 1 of my diabetes meds and 2 high blood pressure meds!! I'm waking up to a great sugar average number of 90-100 rather than my normal "morning spike" of 200 or more.

Since I've been home I've been feeling great, doing light housework, non stop. I go for my 1st dr's visit today to see what I've lost. I haven't been on the scales yet, I want to calebrate mine with the dr's office. I'm on pins and needles!!

Good luck to all on our Quest for health and happiness!

Yes liquids are a funny thing, I can down a 44 oz drink now in a few mins as long as no food is with it. Some foods like a ribeye now I can eat 4 oz and other softer foods I can get 6-8 oz. The restriction is still there a year out. As long as the surgeon does the work correctly you can expect long term restriction on solid foods, Liquids you have to be careful and stay away from any high calorie drinks or alcohol as they can run right through the sleeve.

I've been so very lucky with the entire experience..........no pain at all, but of nausea the first two days. I'm so glad to read this isn't going to last and I will feel restricted once I begin with solids.

So far I'm off 1 of my diabetes meds and 2 high blood pressure meds!! I'm waking up to a great sugar average number of 90-100 rather than my normal "morning spike" of 200 or more.

Since I've been home I've been feeling great, doing light housework, non stop.

Thank you soooooo much for your feedback as well!!!... this is EXACTLY what is happening to me, only dif is i had mild nausea for 4 days, other than that i have had the exact same experience. and after hearing so many testimonies of the polar opposite i was getting so very nervous. I was able to walk 2 miles today only to return home, shower, and leave to run errands. Of course Im monitoring myself physically and i make sure not to over exert my body but besides soreness from the incision sites, im doing pretty good.

and congrats on your reduction of meds,... that is fantastic :)