Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I guess that means that the two of us are in the same pet peeve boat! I HATE the overuse of the word "that". For example: "that ball" instead of "the ball". I don't know why, but incorrect speech drives me bananas!!! :blink:

Maybe I'm showing my age, or maybe the hormone surge post-op is making me nuttier than ususal. Lately it seems to me that those certain words that are so often used incorrectly are now jumping right into my face when I read them. It makes me question the state of education in this country, or, maybe, gives credence to the ghrelin fuzzy brain issue.

So, here they are, in no particular order:

When your* pounds are melting away, you are** LOSING, not LOOSING weight. Losing=gone, lost Loosing=releasing tension -- loosen up!

*Your belongs to you; **you're means you are

There's an humungous difference between "their" "there" and "they're." Did you know THERE are hordes of peeps who can't find THEIR dictionaries, so THEY'RE just lost when it comes to the use of these 3 words?

If you're in agreement with something you say, "me too" not "me to". Too means "also" or "in addition to".

Formerly vs formally. Who I was in the past is me -- formerly. My full legal identity (my given name) is who I am formally.

The above "rant" is proof positive that I'm well on my way to focusing on something OTHER THAN food, weight loss and sagging body parts :P

I've seen so many of these same post over the years on different boards. *yawn*

Is it easier to *yawn* than to speak (write) correctly?? I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say.

I've seen so many of these same post over the years on different boards. *yawn*

Just remember when our boat begins to sink from the overload of poor speakers and writers---BAIL, SISTER, BAIL!!!! :D

Valentina:

SO glad I'm not alone in that boat....:P

I don't think boring is the word I'd use, but I think maybe everyone needs to show a bit of tolerance and understanding because people from all walks of life come here and possibly some more educated than others. Besides, it's not a site that is set up to teach proper grammar or english (not everyone that comes here is American I'm sure) or anything else that isn't related to weight loss surgery.

Renee`

You really do have a complete lack of understanding what "pet peeves" are.

Now the Empress is so hurt that she deleted her posts. Is that what we are all about here? I hope not. She needed to vent about a pet peeve and "we" didn't allow her the courtesy to do so.

I am sorry, Empress. I understand. I wish the others did. I sure someday they will...

You can ALWAYS pm me. I will listen. :rolleyes:

I don't think boring is the word I'd use, but I think maybe everyone needs to show a bit of tolerance and understanding because people from all walks of life come here and possibly some more educated than others. Besides, it's not a site that is set up to teach proper grammar or english (not everyone that comes here is American I'm sure) or anything else that isn't related to weight loss surgery.

Renee`

Deleted posts make this board so unappealing. It's like a temper tantrum gone bad. Life is 10% what happens, and 90% our reaction.

I agree with SouthernSleever and YB. No one is perfect, and we all have pet peeves. The grammar and speech police on internet forums just makes people who are not perfect feel shunned, and possibly prevent them from reaching out for support in fear of being "condemned" to the corner with their dunce cap.

You really do have a complete lack of understanding what "pet peeves" are.

Now the Empress is so hurt that she deleted her posts. Is that what we are all about here? I hope not. She needed to vent about a pet peeve and "we" didn't allow her the courtesy to do so.

I am sorry, Empress. I understand. I wish the others did. I sure someday they will...

You can ALWAYS pm me. I will listen. :rolleyes:

She is so HURT? What about the others that she hurt with her posts? What about the ones that you've hurt? I *did* pm her and say I didn't mean to p her off and I fully understand what "pet peeves" are, one of mine are rude people. I was nice in what I said and I stand by it, not everyone here has a bachelors degree in english, maybe it's their second language, get over it, please. I seriously didn't mean to make her mad and to be honest, that's what I did, NOT hurt her. If she's honest with herself she'll realize it.

Renee`

"TO THY OWN SELF BE TRUE"

:amen:

She is so HURT? What about the others that she hurt with her posts? What about the ones that you've hurt? I *did* pm her and say I didn't mean to p her off and I fully understand what "pet peeves" are, one of mine are rude people. I was nice in what I said and I stand by it, not everyone here has a bachelors degree in english, maybe it's their second language, get over it, please. I seriously didn't mean to make her mad and to be honest, that's what I did, NOT hurt her. If she's honest with herself she'll realize it.

Renee`

First off, I have thicker skin than you might think. I deleted the posts because I did NOT intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Second, I thought the title "pet peeves and other useless rants" would have been a tip-off as to the content. And, finally, I ended it with a statement that I must be getting better if my focus was on something OTHER than surgery recovery. So I believed it to be tongue in cheek. Obviously it came across as sticking out my tongue at others. That was not my intent at all.

I meant no offense, but I do admit that I was quite surprised at the rancor that was inflicted over something that I have a problem with. I have never (and will never) respond to a post with a comment that the poster's use of grammar is incorrect. In my opinion that would be rude and offensive.

I deleted the post because I don't want any more people weighing in on how "bad" I am for mentioning something I find slightly irritating. Words are the only tool we have to communicate with on this site. Please excuse my apparent insensitivity for knowing the difference between well written and not so well written. In my defense, though, my career involves professional, business writing.

One quote that has stuck with me for years is "It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it." Having said that, stick a fork in me, I'm done.