Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Days Post-Op and I am FREEZING COLD!!

I feel like a blue ice cube! I have been soooo cold since surgery.

Diet wise, I am doing well. I am getting my Protein and Water in - yes, I'm still on liquids. I've lost 25.6 pounds so far and feel TONS better than before.

Is this a common side effect? A friend says it's because I am losing my layer of fat and it is totally normal. Anyone else out there feel like they are living in the Artic?

Gotta get back to my pile of blankets...

Yes I snuggle up to the heater. In the beginning I wore socks to bed. And some days I have to take a hot shower and crawl into bed to keep my heat. But then again I am in Canada :P . Things have been looking better as the weather gets warmer but I still think that I will find it cooler than I used to.

Yes perfectly normal. At least I save on A/C bills here in Texas. I used to keep it at 70 in the summer.

Yep when we shed our winter coats aka(fat) we tend to get colder faster. I could keep my house 74 degrees and be perfectly fine with it..The others living in my house don't think that 74 is a good number so pretty much cover up with some blankets for warmeth. I think this is a side effect I can live with.. :)

YES!!! BRRRRR I WAS TOTALLY FREEZING TOO LOL. I STAYED BUNDLED UP FOR A MONTH. NOW I'M BETTER BUT STILL GET COLDER QUICKER THAN I USED TO. PRE OP I KEPT THE AC FROSTY AND NOW POST OP, I TURN IT OFF SOMETIMES AND THE KIDS SNEAK AND TURN IT BACK ON LOL!

I'm a week post-op and have developed OCD with the thermometer because I check my temp so often. Brrrrrrr. Think it's the chills, but then I remember posts like these....

I don't have my surgery until the 24th so I'm not sure if it's normal. I was wondering if you have thyroid problems? I know when mine is low that I am freezing all the time till I up my meds. This has happened to me many times when I lose weight, I freeze and have to get my meds bumped up.

Thank you! Thank you! Glad to hear I'm not the only one chillin' through the weight loss. (hahaha)

Guess my husband will by happy the A/C wars are offically over! (Am I really going to be one of those crazy skinny bit*hes wearing a sweater in the middle of the summer?... I hope so!)

Thanks for the posts and support.

I pulled out my heating blanket!!! I have been cold for basically the last 27 days! LOL. Today at work I wore a fleece under my fleece!!! I work in a Dr's office...I did not care that I looked like a nut, my fingers and nose were still freezing! Besides, a month ago both wouldn't have fit at the same time...haha! I think our internal thermostats need some time to reset.

I am a nurse in a pediatric clinic and I now have to wear my zip up hoody all day at work! I am constantly going behind my husband and turning the thermostat up after he just turned it down. And I pretty much need a blanket when we are in the truck together! BUT, small price to pay to lose this weight!!!

I am scheduled for surgery on June 7th and can't wait until I'm not DYING OF HEAT anymore. I am only 42 and don't really think it's menopause because it doesn't happen all the time. I'm on my feet all day and moving around quite a bit so when I overheat I never really get the chance to cool down. Yeah....bring on the chills. It would really be nice to finally be able to wear a sweater in the winter instead of short sleeves and wishing I could wear my short, capri pants too. :P

I have once in a while gotten a little chillier than before, but in general I have not gotten significantly colder.

I slept with just the sheet all winter but since surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago I have to have extra blankets. I even wore gloves a couple of nights because I couldn't get warm enough to go to sleep!

Me too! I have ALWAYS been heat sensitive, even as a skinny kid. I would sweat copious amounts constantly all day and night at the slightest hint of warmth. I would actually leave salt stains on the sheets and pillow. I am now down 120 pounds and am cold all night, have to have the heating blanket on HIGH.

I think there is more to it then just losing the fat insulation because as I said I have always been heat sensitive. A lower matabolism may explain it partly too but I often wonder if there isn't something else involved.

Theories people?