Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dinner out with the gals on Day 18 post-surgery

I was waay nervous - local Italian restaurant, and me a Pasta addict. But I had a plan - tuna salad plate, hold everything but the tuna salad. They brought me a big scoop in a bowl, I set aside about 1/4 cup & put the rest in a box...and couldn't eat but about half the quarter cup. So...about 5 or 6 more meals in the box. Total bill: $3.99.

Am I a cheap date or what?

Also - watching everyone eat pasta didn't bother me. What's up with that?!?!

I can sympathize! I went to a CHINESE BUFFET at 23 days out last night. Step daughters birthday and thats where she wanted to go! I had 2 shrimp, 4 green Beans, a small chunk of boneless chicken and the meat from a crab leg. $10.99....wow, they got the better end of that meal...lol. It really was a pathetic looking plate! I guess maybe I should have bought the take out container...then I would have had some to bring home! Congrats on not wanting the Pasta. I have had a few pieces now and then. Mac n cheese at work...like 4 noodles...lol. But, my doc said if it is tolerable go for it. (in moderation of course) I haven't gone out other than that, I'm sure this will be interesting. The little taste they give you of wine to see if you want to order it....no thanks, thats enough, I'm good...that sip will be all we need to be tooted!!! :)

I have such a Pasta problem...In the past, it didn't matter how much Pasta you put in front of me, I would eat every bite - plus some bread along with. I'd wash it down with whatever amount of liquid needed and eat until miserable. I just have NO breaks on pasta, so I've decided to treat it like an addiction and go cold turkey. Not even a taste.

We'll see once I feel more in control. Maybe that rule isn't forever, but it's certainly for now!

Chinese would have been tough for me too - but you're not as cheap a date as me. Maybe that should make you feel good?

Hey Virginia,

I'm an April 18 surgery date, too. I had a luncheon yesterday with a group of student leaders at, yes, a Mexican restaurant (it was Cinco de mayo, after all!). My husband, who has been sleeved for about a year now, went with me for moral support. :-) I ordered a cup of the tortilla Soup, which I knew was basically chicken Soup with Mexican flavoring, and some guacamole. The kids all ordered whatever they wanted, and my husband ordered soup with me. It was absolutely fine--nobody said anything about it, I got to eat "real" food in a restaurant without any kind of hoopla, and we all had a great time. DH and I both had containers of soup to take home, too, even though we had cups of soup--and again, nobody said anything at all, since they were all getting "go" boxes, too.

I think there's a way to make this work. Congratulations on your avoiding the Pasta trap--I know exactly what you mean, too, because I'm a tortilla chip-a-holic, but I didn't even think about having one while everyone else was enjoying. Didn't enter my mind. Let's hope we can keep our triggers at bay when it's easier to eat!

Cheers!

Meg

That is great you did so well! I really think the key is having a plan before you go to a restaurant. I always "think" I want something, but if I order it, I can only eat a bite or two. Now I only order a la carte or I share with my hubby/kids. I hate ordering food and not eating it. The waiters always think something is wrong! LOL

I am so confused. I was sleeved on April 18 and am on full liquids for the first four weeks. No thought of tuna, chicken, green Beans for a while. pureed Soups in restaurants is it for now. "Mushies" start after a month. Was supposed to wait for stomach to heal before stressing it with "real" food unless it is totally pureed, like baby food. Thoughts?

I am so confused. I was sleeved on April 18 and am on full liquids for the first four weeks. No thought of tuna, chicken, green Beans for a while. pureed Soups in restaurants is it for now. "Mushies" start after a month. Was supposed to wait for stomach to heal before stressing it with "real" food unless it is totally pureed, like baby food. Thoughts?

Every program out there has different rules. Sounds like yours is exactly like mine. I move to mushies at 4 weeks. Until then nothing but full liquid. So far it's not horrible but I'm getting a little tired of the same things over and over. I don't like sweets or chocolate so all of the drinks turn my stomach. After 1 week home and repeating the same stuff over and over, ....yawn.......

I really think this is the most cautious route. We were told that 90% of the healing happens in the first 25 days (or something to that effect) so that's the logic of keeping it Fluid. I don't mind the stricter plan but I think it would be fantastic if some company came out with pre-made bariatric canned soups boosted with Protein and pre-strained. Not that I'm lazy..........;)