Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't get the "don't eat bread"

This was not a restriction put on me by my doc. I've been eating it since I've been able to eat normal food. Granted, not eating it like I used to, but eating it nonetheless. I refuse to go the way of "no carbs" as that is not the way normal people eat. True, carbs go down much easier, but everything in moderation will not harm you. My advice would be don't eat carbs alone, make sure you are eating Protein with it and try to make it more protein than carb. If your doc is advising against them, find out why. There are so many different opinions by all these docs, it drives me crazy! Why can't there just be a "gold standard"?

Yeah, I think the only real rule out there is "don't eat junk food all day," really. I eat as many carbs as I want and I've had great results. But I think one other issue with bread is that in the first few months, it's one of the foods most likely to cause you discomfort. But I'm having an open-faced sandwich as I'm typing this, and it's not causing me any problems at all.

But there are some people that are very sensitive to carbs, and for me and for about the last year, bread is a pure slider, and actually allows me to eat quite a bit more especially if I eat a bite of Protein then a bite of bread. Some people just can not eat bread. It wasn't a "no no" food on my list, but I chose to low carb it, and when I was eating my Protein during my losing stage, I did not have room for bread, and it did hurt.

It's working for you, but some people can't just do things in moderation. I can now that I'm in maintenance, but it took me some time to get there. People that have certain food issues can not allow bread and other carby goodness back into their lives because it starts bad habits again. There's ton of 2+year long vets out that have never touched bread, Pasta and rice because they know how their bodies/minds react to those foods, and it is not just about it being in moderation for them. I think everyone knows I live an extreme life of moderation with my intake, but others can not share that path.

I am still only 2 months out and I can only eat very little. Since bread is not nutritionaly dense, I don't want to eat it. I have to eat my Protein first so I can try and get my Protein in. I have also taken this opportunity to really change what I buy for the family. All bread / carb items I buy are now super-healthy whole grain. This also helps me to get more quality Fiber.

FOr example, my partner said that we ran out of bisquick. He likes to make pancakes on the weekend. SO, when I went to Trader Joes that week I bought whole grain / whole wheat baking mix. It's a small change for them, it all adds up. SInce I honestly have zero craving for bread right now, I am trying to change my buying habits and develop a taste for the more healthy options. My major carb intake is my daily oatmeal. I eat plain, organic oatmeal with flax for extra protein and quality Fiber. It help to keep me "going". :-)

Bread is not forbidden on my food list, but whole grain / whole wheat is encouraged. I just don't have a taste for it now and my sleeve gets full so fast, I don't want to waste it on bread.

I think each person has a different tolerance level for carbs, as Tiffykins said.

I tried my first bread at about 6 weeks out... no problem. I just had a veggie sausage on a whole wheat bun... ate about half of the bun... no problem. I don't do this every day, but do sometimes and try to eat whole grains. Protein first....

bread is just very filling. I don't buy it, but if I am out to eat and they pass a bread basket, sometimes I will eat part of a piece. It feels like it makes me so full, I can barely eat anything else. It also feels like it stops me up, like a drain that is plugged. I imagine a big glob of chewed up bread at the bottom of my stomach. It feels like it won't digest.

I have eaten half sandwiches and removed part of the bread, but again, it

feels funny in my sleeve, like it doesn't fit in there right. It's kind of hard to explain.

Crunchy carbs go down much easier, but I do try to stay away from them. I am one of those people who craves more carbs if I eat them. I don't like having cravings!

I was told not to eat bread unless it was firmly toasted. Because it gets like a doughy ball in your tummy and is hard for our sleeve to digest. Also, I know how bad all the white stuff is for me so I try to stay away from it. I do have a whole wheat piece of toast with two eggs for Breakfast. The rest of the time...no bread, flour, rice, potatoes, Pasta, etc...but to each to his own. Whatever works! :D

LISA...FYI wheat toast is the same as white bread. It has to be "whole grain". Learned this from my diabetic counseling a few years back. Check it out...and I think you're right...whatever works is what works and it doesn't work for everyone. Congrats on your success! Here's to everybody keeping on the downward trend. PS...I see it says you eat WHOLE WHEAT so you're probably eating the right thing.

Whole wheat bread is often recommended as a healthier alternative to white bread. However, do you know what the difference is?

Wheat Bread Nutrition Facts

Both white and whole wheat bread are made from wheat flour. Wheat berries used to make flour have three parts: the bran, the germ and the endosperm. White flour uses only the endosperm, while whole-wheat flour uses all the three parts, each of which contains nutrients essential for your health.

Is Whole Wheat Bread Good For You?

Whole wheat bread is much higher in fiber than white bread. Fiber aids digestion and most people are aware of this. However, fiber's benefits go beyond healthy digestion. Fiber helps you feel full and makes it easier for you to control your weight. Moreover, it has many health benefits. For example, fiber reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Warning: People with wheat allergy, gluten intolerance, or colitis should eliminate wheat from the diet.

How can you tell if bread is whole wheat or not? Read labels. Look for "Whole Grain" or "Whole Wheat". If bread is labeled “Wheat Bread”, this does not mean that you get more nutrients. Bread can be made with a combination of white and whole-wheat flour. You do need to read the label.

I do eat bread. I eat the multi grain breads, some 9 grain or 10 grain or more. They are super packed with awesome nutrients and fiber. My body loves this stuff!

I agree that lots of folks are sensitive to any type of carbs, so in that case it's best to stay away from them. I can eat them so I do, but give me any kind of processed white carbs or sweets and I lose it. I absolutely have to stay away from that stuff.

Whatever works for you is good, stay the course! Sometimes we have to find out what works for us as individuals. :decision:

I can especially see problems for people who have a lot of problems saying "no" to one more bite.

I don't eat soft bread....feels awful in my tiny tummy. It's like it grows and it hurts. BUT, I do have a whole wheat tortilla a couple times a week. Also, I have PCOS and am HIGHLY sensitive to bread and sugar...so I steer clear of the bread and most of the time sugar. I struggle with saying no to sugar far more than the bread though. Just my 2 cents!

LISA...FYI wheat toast is the same as white bread. It has to be "whole grain". Learned this from my diabetic counseling a few years back. Check it out...and I think you're right...whatever works is what works and it doesn't work for everyone. Congrats on your success! Here's to everybody keeping on the downward trend. PS...I see it says you eat WHOLE WHEAT so you're probably eating the right thing.

Lol...that's what I have, I dbl checked. Sorry for the error. :P

Hi. I'm 24 days out and I can eat a few bites of mac n cheese, or I take a lowfat wrap and slice it into strips with a pizza cutter. I than roll turkey deli meat (my staple it seems..lol) and some cheese (usually a shredded low fat blend) and wrap one of my mini wraps around it. Its like real food...haha. I get a kick out of being back to food thats normal consistancy. Oh it makes great mini pizza shells too! just some jar sauce (only a little) mushrooms and shredded cheese, now Mom has pizza night too!

Oh and btw, my doc said the no Pasta, rice, bread rule he has is subjective. Many patients cannot tolerate them...even red meat, but if you can..he said go ahead. Moderation is key!