Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone seems to weigh so often.

Weighing in  

48 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you weigh yourself

• Every day, like clockwork
    • Once a week
    • More than once a day
    • Only when I think about it
    • Every two weeks or once a month.

I was just wondering how often everyone weighs. I am telling myself (I am pre-op) that I will only weigh myself once every two weeks or so, but I can see how the urge to weigh myself daily would be hard to resist.

Hubby keeps asking me to weigh myself every day. I honestly don't want to. I'm afraid to be disappointed every time I step on!

I was just wondering how often everyone weighs. I am telling myself (I am pre-op) that I will only weigh myself once every two weeks or so, but I can see how the urge to weigh myself daily would be hard to resist.

I weigh every morning. I am training myself to not feel so pushed around by the numbers. I also measure so there is another way to tell how my body is changing... as well as how my clothing fits.

As much as I know I shouldn't, I weigh every day. However, I'm coming to the place where I'm not so concerned about the numbers if I dont have a loss. But, when I do, I Celebrate. (yay!)

I weight every couple weeks right now. But once I have my surgery I'm going to put my scale away for at LEAST 2 weeks.

it's hard enough to acclimate to the new situation without worrying about hwo much you're losing.

I love weighing myself every morning. I get out of bed each day with anticipation that the scale might go down again! If it doesn't, no big deal. I still know that I have the tool I need to continue to lose. Some of us use this as motivation I guess. Others are afraid of failure. Maybe since I've been losing slowly for over a year, I have a different perspective than a newbie, knowing that my sleeve works as long as I continue to work with it. Besides, I can't explain how, but I'm convinced that somehow we lose inches when the scale isn't moving down.

When I was obese, I NEVER stepped on the scale because I didn't want the reality check. So, I weigh myself once at night to see how my behavior was during the day and then right when I get up. I'm usually 1.5 pounds heavier in the evening than I am in the morning -- and I can tell when I've gotten enough to drink. If I've done everything right and the scale is up, no biggie, because I KNOW my behavior is on target and we all have weight fluctuations. But if my behavior has been so so, and the scale is up, then it's a wake up call. So, for me the scale is a tool to make sure I'm in line. It does not determine how I feel about myself! :)

I work in a hospital so there are scales everywhere, in the bathroom, and in fact in my office. Oddly enough I dont have one at home...i figure I dont need one, and I can take the weekends off from weighing in

During my losing stage, I weighed several times a day. I was a total scale-whore and it's what worked for me. The thing it really helped me grasp was that body weight fluctuates every day, throughout the day, and the only weight loss I counted was the first reading from the scale. Getting into maintenance, I weighed daily because I struggled to get my losing to stop so I had to monitor my intake, and find trends in my weight vs. what I was eating. Once in maintenance, I weigh weekly, sometimes twice a week. I could always tell if I had put on a couple of pounds by the way clothes fit. Plus, I had to learn that Water weight is a real b*tch, and had to let go of a 2lb bounce up or down. I did what worked for me, and now in pregnancy, my husband has hid my scale so now I'm only getting weighed at appointments.

I weigh when I get up in the morning each day. Ignoring the scale contributed to my obesity and so I am watching it this time. However, I don't obsess over the number--I know I am sticking to my plan so if there is not a loss every single day I know one is coming sometime soon.

I'm 3 weeks post-op and i weigh myself every morning.. i love it cuz it lets me know how i'm doing.. and i chart my weight and my foods, so I can see if i am doing something wrong or if i lost more after consuming more Protein or less carbs... One lesson i learned this past week... don't weigh yourself if it is your time of month.. it will just make you feel depressed cuz odds are you won't lose an ounce..... Just weigh yourself after that fun fun time is finished... Raging hormones plus a scale that wont move could equal the urge to chuck it out the nearest window!! blink.gif

Normally I would only weigh once a day, first thing in the morning - nearly no clothes on and after potty time. But for some reason in the last few months I've been doing extreme weighing and doing it nearly all day long. It became a very unhealthy habit and as my husband put it an addiction. I always look to him to be my "safe voice". So when he tells me something like that I take it and really analyze it. I know he only wants what's best for me. He has been absolutely my greatest supporter as my weight issues has been concerned and I thank GOD daily for him!! (I'm more the irrational one... ;) )

So I need to break the habit for now and leave the scale alone. It was really starting to get my moods affected and that is NOT okay. I totally agree with the others that mention ignoring the scale is what got ME obese... absolutely. I'm not going to totally avoid the scale, but I just want to step back for awhile until I feel I can get back to a more peaceful relationship with it.

I also agree that, measuring your inches is a good measure on your losses too. I'm relying on that right now myself since the weight scale is hidden at this time. I must be doing good because I recently noticed my 14's are just about ready for the Goodwill or clothes swap and my 12's are starting to get loose too. I think I need to go through more of my clothes that were too small before and do some try-ons. :)

Also, keeping one set of your largest clothes is a really great motivator at times. When you're feeling down, pull them out and put them on... you will be amazed!! I'm just saying there are so many many ways to feel accomplished that things are going in the right direction rather than the scale alone.

So really it's all up to you. Whatever works for you and doesn't make you feel like you want to take the scale and burn it... LOL

Good luck!!!

Every day, even though I'm basically maintaining at this stage.

As much as I know I shouldn't, I weigh every day. However, I'm coming to the place where I'm not so concerned about the numbers if I dont have a loss. But, when I do, I Celebrate. (yay!)

I'm with Nicole. Even though I know I'm not supposed to, I weigh everyday.