Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My incision scars aren't very big but they're kind of raised and red. My first question is how long do I have to wait before I start working on them ( in other words, is there an internal stitch there I should not mess with yet) and my second question is is it worth it to spend the money on this stuff?

Can't say much about Mederma, unfortunately; although I have been using BioOil since two weeks post-op (surgery date 031011), and it has really helped my scars fade. You can still see them, of course, but they look like they're getting smaller and are now light pink rather than dark red.

I was going to purchase Mederma while on one of my many sojourns to Target, but once I saw the price tag, I decided to go the frugal route and spend $8 on Amazon for the BioOil. Besides, I need to save my dinero for non-plus sized clothing in the future :D

Good luck!

Can't say much about Mederma, unfortunately; although I have been using BioOil since two weeks post-op (surgery date 031011), and it has really helped my scars fade. You can still see them, of course, but they look like they're getting smaller and are now light pink rather than dark red.

I was going to purchase Mederma while on one of my many sojourns to Target, but once I saw the price tag, I decided to go the frugal route and spend $8 on Amazon for the BioOil. Besides, I need to save my dinero for non-plus sized clothing in the future :D

Good luck!

You know I tried that bio oil stuff once and had no luck. I'm glad it's working for you. It sucks to spend the rent on a little tube of cream and have it do nothing; which is why I asked here before shelling out.

My scars aren't really bad. I could live with them if I had to. Thank you laparoscopy. :)

I have a 13-in scar from arm repair surgery after a bad car accident and used Mederma afterwards. It did not seem to work the few months I tried it but the scars from gallbladder removal and other abdominal surgeries actually almost disappeared totally on their own. I guess it all depends on how well the surgeon sews you up. I would say try it to see if it helps. As for the stitches being healed, it would depend on how your body heals. I was told to wait 3 months before trying it on my arm scar but never asked or worried about the little ones on my stomach.

I tried Mederma, no results. My son used it on a scar on his forehead, no results.

We have different skin tones and scar differently so I was hoping it would work for one of us. No such luck.

I had great results a couple of times with cocoa butter with almost oil in it. Definitely believe it this!

My incision scars aren't very big but they're kind of raised and red. My first question is how long do I have to wait before I start working on them ( in other words, is there an internal stitch there I should not mess with yet) and my second question is is it worth it to spend the money on this stuff?

I second the cocoa butter.

IDK.. I don't plan on using it. I have a vertical C-section scar that has faded after 2 years to virtually invisible, so I'm not worried. I plan on a Tummy Tuck anyhow... That will cut most of the scars away, I think.

Pure Vitamin E OIL is the best thing you can put on a scar. I laid my face open when i was a kid. 17 stitches across my forehead. 7 in and 10 out!!!!!!

The dr. told my mom to break open Vitamin e capsules and put the oil on my scar twice a day and avoid the sun. she did and you can barely see my scar today. I was 7 and I am now 36!!

My husband knocked himself out last year with a grinder and split his head open. I used the vitamin e oil on his scar and it is almost unreconizable today!

You can buy the pure oil now in the vitamin section.

Kelly :D

I asked my dermatologist and she said there was a study that compared Maderma to just massaging the scar. There was no difference. She said if you massage a raised scar each nite, it will help it to heal flatter. I keep forgetting and know at some point I will get a Tummy Tuck, so maybe some of the scarring will wind up lower on my abdomen! LOL

:). Well then. So much for Mederma...

It's working for me :unsure: I'll take a pic of my incision.