Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight pre-op, intentionally!!!

I just want to say thanks to all of u who responded to all my posts. When I get notified, I cannot seem to get back to the responses, so I thought I would thank all of u here. Im scheduled for the sleeve June 13th, and although it is a ways off, I should be pre-oping it! Instead, I am sooooooo darn nervous, cause of all my co-morbilities, I am feastinggggg every day!!!!! I am eating moree than ever. How ridiculous I know. Did this happen to any one of u pre-op?????? Thx again all, this is a wonderful site! :):):)

I will say for about a week before my pre op diet started I did some crazy things. Like I went and a big Mac! I haven't eaten a big Mac in years! It wasn't as good as I remembered it and I was glad of that.

Hi!!

I am scheduled June 13th also. I have not started to diet, hell thats what the 2week pre op is for! I am not binging though, just eating as I normally do. Good luck and we will soon be twins...lol

Mel

Between my initial consultation and my 2 week pre-op visit, I actually l lost 6 lbs. I started walking as much as possible to get ready. I was lucky and didn't suffer from the last supper syndrome. Perhaps the fact that I onl;y had 6 weeks between the initial informationa seminar and my insurance approval had something to do with it. All I can say is when you start your 2 week pre op diet, you try your best to follow it. It reduces the size of your liver and makes the surgery easier for the surgeon. It also reduces your risk for having your liver nicked during the surgery. I do have one regret of not having one really good last meal prior to my 2 week pre-op diet. I had a crappy Burger King burger that I didn't even enjoy nor finish. After a lifetime of gluttomny, in the end it doesn't matter I had more than too many great meals. I also had co-morbidities and that is what got me through it. Knowing that I would be able to overcome them and I did.

I think some people do like a last meal type of thing... but as far out as you are from surgery, I haven't heard of that.

Be careful.. I don't know if your surgeon requires you to lose a certain amount before surgery, but if they do and you gain too much you may not lose as much as you want during pre op.

i did a month of strict Protein diet, lots of Protein Shakes (for insurance purposes) and lost weight. i got denied by the insurance and is going self pay route in june.. i've been eating everything and anything i want (not binging but more than i should). it's scary to me but i know post op i will be doing a lot protein shakes (yuk). i am going to get my head right. i did join a gym and has started exercising.

Well, im glad ur back on track. I know it's very scary all the way around. Im sorry to hear u were denied at first. Actually, all I have is medicare myself, so I have to pay the extra 20 %, but the good thing with medicare is....they dont require any pre-op testing, nor do they require a pre-op diet! I am really scared that there is no pre-op, so every day I keep saying..today, today, today lol, and I get nowhere fast. Im eating to beat the band!!!!!!!! I have to get my head right too!!! Im scheduled for June 13th, it will be here sooner than I think! I went to a festival the other day, and saw live zumba exercise, and it looked so good, so I thought id maybe try that afterwards. Anyway, thanks for responding, and Good luck to u. Keep in touch. Thanks :):):)

i did a month of strict Protein diet, lots of Protein Shakes (for insurance purposes) and lost weight. i got denied by the insurance and is going self pay route in june.. i've been eating everything and anything i want (not binging but more than i should). it's scary to me but i know post op i will be doing a lot protein shakes (yuk). i am going to get my head right. i did join a gym and has started exercising.

Wowwwwwwww, congrats to u :D:D:D Thanks for responding. You're so right about the lifetime of gluttony, and in the end it doestn't matter. I like that!!! There is no pre-op diet for me, so thats scary, and... I have every co-mobility on the list, all jokes aside, which is scaring the hekkkkkkkkk out of me!!!! I mean, it's one thing if u have diabetes, and high blood pressure, and a few more, but when I went to the last seminar, the surgeon speaking was showing us all the co-mobilities, i literally have them all, plus....3 other hernias and a hiatal one now, that I wasn't even aware of! I have lupus. Iv'e had a total of 16 abdominal surgeries in the last 10-15 yrs, and have always had complications afterwards, so im dying over this~ They cant go in and repair the hernias/intestines unless I agreed to a wls this time around, which definitely makes sense... buttt I wasn't a candidate yrs ago, what makes me one now??? lol Anyway, again, congrats and keep up the good work :D:D Thx for listening :)

Between my initial consultation and my 2 week pre-op visit, I actually l lost 6 lbs. I started walking as much as possible to get ready. I was lucky and didn't suffer from the last supper syndrome. Perhaps the fact that I onl;y had 6 weeks between the initial informationa seminar and my insurance approval had something to do with it. All I can say is when you start your 2 week pre op diet, you try your best to follow it. It reduces the size of your liver and makes the surgery easier for the surgeon. It also reduces your risk for having your liver nicked during the surgery. I do have one regret of not having one really good last meal prior to my 2 week pre-op diet. I had a crappy Burger King burger that I didn't even enjoy nor finish. After a lifetime of gluttomny, in the end it doesn't matter I had more than too many great meals. I also had co-morbidities and that is what got me through it. Knowing that I would be able to overcome them and I did.

Lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, yes, we will soon be twins!!! and sooooo right u r bout the 2 week pre-op!!! only problem with me is......medicare dont require any pre-op, now do they require any more testing!!!!, but my primary DR is sending me for most :huh: Im glad ur not binging. I have always been a tremendous eater, but now knowing im going under June 13th....I been feasting everrrrry darn day :(:(:angry: !!! I have been eating worse than I have ever, and I just can't seem to control myself. I have every co-mobility on the list, so thats whats been buggin me really. I knowwwwww, by binging, it's not gonna make the surgery any better, only worse. I have got to get it together. I still have a few more days b4 I get on track, then i'll have no choice afterwards. Anyway, thx for responding. Good luck to u, and plz keep in touch!!! twin lol :D forget about ursieursie!

Hi!!

I am scheduled June 13th also. I have not started to diet, hell thats what the 2week pre op is for! I am not binging though, just eating as I normally do. Good luck and we will soon be twins...lol

Mel

Remember, after you are a a few months out, you should be able to tolerate most any food. I did mourn food and my old lifestyle for probably 4 or 5 months. The post op diet for me was easier than the mental end. You really won't want to eat and when you do you will be more worried about getting in enough of what you need, there won't be room for anything else. You will be able to have a taste and if you are like me, that is about all you will want. When you are at,near or below goal, the whole thing changes again. You will be sitting down at the end of the dayt and tally what you ate and realize you were under 1000 calories for the day and decide it is OK to go have a kids size scoop of real ice cream. Make the most of the pre op diet. Food will lose it's hold on you, you will find new things to occupy your tie, you will realize that socialization over food changes to socialization at a restaurant and I actually find myself staying longer and enjoying the conversation and the company more than ever.Good luck, you will be successful and there are a lot of people here for support. As far as the co morbidities, they are gone and that is the biggest prize. You will see almost instant results on that end. Last diabetes drug I took was insulin in the hospital. I watched my morning readings steadily decline from 140s first day home(that in itself was an accomplishment because I was in the 170s with drugs) to the low 80s after 6 weeks. I finally stopped testing after 2 weeks of 86 every day. I took it every now and then until maybe 8 months out, haven't taken it since. A1c is now 5.6, and last fasting glucose form the lab was 81,can't see the point. BP is another story, I would up cutting my meds in half a week after surgery (asked Dr first) then 2 weeks later totally discontinued it. Now it is 117/73. that is as good as anyone can hope for. also had high triglycerides, low good cholesterol, high bad cholesterol high total cholesterol. Those are all remedied too. Good luck over the next few weeks, you have time.You don't have to go crazy before the liquids just be sensible. Walk every day if you can and start back as soon as you can after surgery. In my opinion, it made my recovery easier.

For two weeks before my pre op diet started I ate all my favorites, and I didn't feel guilty. I knew once the pre-op started I would be a good girl! and damnit if I wasnt picture perfect. I have a multitude of medical malfunctions as well and was on 20 pills daily, day 1 out of the hospital and I am donw to 10. Once they do additional blood work on the 12th, was sleeved on the 27th, I'll know what else can be stopped as well. Even if you are not required to do a pre-op diet you might want to do one anyway to make it easier on yourself and your docs when the go in. Good luck!

My surgery is in a week, but I've had my date for about 3 months. Awhile back I picked a date and gave myself 2 weeks to eat anything I damned well pleased, then on my chosen start date I switched over to strict low carb, which my doc requires for his 7 day pre-op. That was 40 days ago and I'm down 25 pounds. At over 300 pounds, a loss of 25 doesn't really show much, but when I start adding post op weight loss, it will start to be noticable that much sooner.

I too had a fun fun food week before this two weeks of liquids. I gained 4 pounds that week- ah the memories! I quickly lost it and so far 8 more pounds. My surgery is on Monday and I know what to do for optimum use of this window of losing time we are given.

If I were you, I would think about doing Protein shakes, or at least low carb on June 1st so that by the 13th you at least wont feel as much of a loss of carbs. You will be dealing with enough healing and recovering and learning how to live with the sleeve- to be in major withdrawal from carbs would just add to your issues!

Good luck to you!

My doctor made it clear he would not do the surgery if I gained weight so I behaved myself. It was hard but worth it.

Thanks for the advice. The last 2 days for me hasn't been so bad. I actually bought myself a big container of the Isopure chocolate high Protein shake, and I have been sticking to that. I have been eating one plain yogurt and a already made sugar free Jello cup in between. The only thing Im not sure about, is how much of the Protein Shake I should have. I have been having one, but Im thinking of two. What would u suggest? Thanks again, and good luck on ur surgery in 5 days :D:)

I too had a fun fun food week before this two weeks of liquids. I gained 4 pounds that week- ah the memories! I quickly lost it and so far 8 more pounds. My surgery is on Monday and I know what to do for optimum use of this window of losing time we are given.

If I were you, I would think about doing Protein shakes, or at least low carb on June 1st so that by the 13th you at least wont feel as much of a loss of carbs. You will be dealing with enough healing and recovering and learning how to live with the sleeve- to be in major withdrawal from carbs would just add to your issues!

Good luck to you!