Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Month Supervised Diet-Cigna

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums and I am just starting my WLS journey. I am currently working on getting my pre-approval from Cigna insurance. I am required to do the 6 months supervised diet plan and I am currently in month 2. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who went through something similar to me. I am wondering exactly what the insurance company is looking for. I don't want to lose to much weight and them not approve but I am scared to not lose weight at the same time. I have currently lost 2 pounds. I am asking for any kind of advice you guys could give. Thanks!!! :)

They just want to see that you stuck to it. And, they want documentation of it all. Also including your exercise and all that fun stuff.

It won't matter if you lost weight or not... I think they just require it to make sure you can stick to something for more than just a few days.

With Cigna you just have to make sure you have EVERYTHING they require

Good luck.

I have Cigna and went through the 6 month diet, didnt really loose anything for the most part. When I went to my PCP I told her I was changing my eating habits, increasing my excercising etc. and she documented that in her notes. I actually only had to go through 4 montth b/c I had proof within the past year that I tried and failed at weight watchers (still had my record book) . The lady who handled the insurance at my Surgeon's office submitted the book along with 4 months of my supervised diet and I was able to get approved..Still took 6 months from start to finish by the time I was scheduled for the surgery.. The best advise I can give is dont gain a lot of weight in the 6 months, they want to see that you can stick to a program. The 6 months gives you time to do all the research and get your mind in order for the surgery. By the time I had my surgery I was good and ready not one doubt in my mind!!

Thanks for your advice. I wasn't planning on gaining a bunch of weight during the supervised diet, I just wanted to be sure that I was doing everything correctly in order to get my pre-approval. I appreciate you guys answering my questions. i can't wait until I get my date!

i had to do it for GHI...at that time I asked the doc and she told me they just want to see commitment and consistency. I took it as an opportunity to lose weight because I was advised by my friends who have been there to lose as much weight as possible before...

I also have Cigna and will complete my six month supervised physician visits on Monday. It really has gone by fast. My weight has fluctuated during this time and have not lost a lot of weight. I still have stuck with a so-called diet and exercise as much as I can, restricted by arthritis in the knees.

I was ready to set a date for surgery in January when I found out about the six month visits. Boy was I shocked, I had contacted the insurance company and they never said anything about the 6 months of monthly visits. But, what can you do but do it. With all of this said, I am hoping to have surgery in June. Very much ready. I have researched until I feel very much ready. Have trialed Protein shakes and Vitamins and think I have found some that I can tolerate. I have my list of things to ask the surgeon on my next visit, my list of things to take to the hospital, have been approved the time off work. Now tell me if I have missed something, I am someone that has to have all the facts and what to expect before surgery. I want to be prepared. No surprises.

Please, your comments are requested and appreciated if you have anything that surprised you about the whole process. We learn from experience of others.

Hoping to be on the losing bench soon.

Neanie

I went thru this with Kaiser. It also included Options classes each week and weigh ins. Hated it at first and it seemed like an eternity to get to the surgery, but so glad now that I went thru it! You will be so much more ready for your surgery when its over. It will keep you accountable and by the time you have surgery it will be a new lifestyle and makes eating easier to get used to. Log your food and calories and have little goals. We had a 1500 calorie meal plan and I stuck to it and lost 27lbs pre op. Remember you are on a journey starting now, not when the surgery happens, so use the time to learn all you can from this site. Good luck!!!

Woohoo, you and I are about the same spot on the 6MSWL. We will get through it. I have read on here and from what my PCP has told me, keep with it and make sure you make every appointment. It isn't so much about the weight loss as much as making healthy choices. For me the hardest part hasn't been the "diet" per say, but incorporating more exercise.

Hello Everyone!

I am new to the forums and I am just starting my WLS journey. I am currently working on getting my pre-approval from Cigna insurance. I am required to do the 6 months supervised diet plan and I am currently in month 2. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who went through something similar to me. I am wondering exactly what the insurance company is looking for. I don't want to lose to much weight and them not approve but I am scared to not lose weight at the same time. I have currently lost 2 pounds. I am asking for any kind of advice you guys could give. Thanks!!! :)

Welcome to the forum! I am just about to go into my 2 of 6mos of supervised diet as well. I have BCBS and I was told my documented starting weight is what they would use to make their decision. If I should happen to lose weight and fall below the 40BMI they would still consider me for surgery. They do want you to lose weight to show that you will be able to follow through. My surgeon recommended that I lose 10% of my excess weight because it will help shrink the liver for a safer surgery. I would call your insurance and find out to be sure.

Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing you aroundsmile.gif

I also have CIGNA, and am scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning!! I followed the rules of the program I was in, and was approved very fast. (this was done by the surgeon's office just before the surgery). They told me to lose 22.5 pounds,and I have lost 39 so far. Bur I was careful to not even approach a BMI of 35 before insurance approval. Kept my BMI in the 36's. I have several co-morbidities. You should be able to see all of CIGNA's requirements through your on-line access. I found it, with help from customer support. Then you can see exactly what they want. The 7 months does go by fast!. Good Luck.

Hello Everyone!

Thank you for all the replies! I wish you all the best and so glad to have found somewhere to get advice and talk to people going through the same things as me. :)

I had visit #6 with my PCP yesterday. He faxed the paperwork to the surgeon. They sent into CIGNA today. Now we wait to get an answer. The coordinator said she thought we would get an answer pretty quickly as my file was so complete. I certainly hope so. Although, this will make it official. Up to now it has been waiting and research, now this makes it reality. A little nervous just about the whole surgery thing, but ready to be on the other side.

Will keep you posted as soon as I get word back from CIGNA. Sure hope it is the word I want.

Thanks for all of your support and prayers. Together we can get through this.

Neanie

OP-thanks for asking this question!! My PCP doesn't want me to lose weight as he thinks it'll give the insurance company a reason to deny me. You guys are saying you haven't had that fear with Cigna. That's reassuring! I've been trying to follow the dietician's diet as I don't want to lie to her but I haven't been trying too hard either as I didn't really want to lose but now I'm going to focus on dropping some pounds before my surgery! Yay!