Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Red Velvet Gang- How's the Pre-Op Going?

I think we all have different instructions pre-op (I am resenting the heck out of mine- two weeks liquids only) but we are all - at least those up to May 12th, in the last two week pre-op period.

How is it going? Are you on liquids or some kind of doctor imposed diet? Do you feel ready for your surgery?

I'll start-

You may have seen I had a major crisis on the first day of my liquids when the Premier drinks I got from costco were so disgusting I not only could not drink one but then freaked thinking no Protein would work for me.

Since then I have found that GNC Extreme 60, nectar, and powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury were all at least somewhat palatable, with only the splenda aftertaste bothering me. I am able to drink them. YAY! I have several more samples to try.

I have lost seven pounds since Monday! Of course, at least three of them I put on in the few days before Monday with my "last meals" and the famous red velvet cake! I hope I can take off some more and make my doctor happy with the state of my liver.

It is not easy- for one thing everything is sicky sweet and I long for savory. I am hyper sensitive to odors and the sell of cooking food can really get to me. Late night my husband seemed to be consuming huge quantities of food all night but I am sure it is just my condition of hunger !

I do find it a little disconcerting to realize this two weeks ends in the surgery and then the real food work begins- and that I will still be on liquids for at least another two weeks after and possibly three. Then mushies- it will be a full 8 weeks from the start of this two weeks until I am allowed real, regular food. That's a looooong time!

Other than that I am excited for my surgery and would love this 11 days to pass quickly.

How about all of you?

Ooooo...awesome name for a gang!

I've officially informed everyone of my May 9 op date. I didn't realize it was the day after Mother's day until later. I was going to go visit my mother but since she's decided to come down on Sunday to help me with the surgery, I'll just Celebrate mother's day wtih her then. We were going to go out and I'm certain I won't be able to eat anything. it'll be weird, but I hope not too weird.

I've put in my notice at work to take 2 weeks off. I'm waiting for the last of my Vitamins to be delivered. I need to clean the house and stock up on supplies next week.

I've been a little concerned about clothes. I have clothes up to size 1x or 20. I dont' know if I have ENOUGH for work but I'm hoping. But I have absolutely nothing after that. I have a pattern for a super simple tie-back dress. It's got princess seams and A line figure flattering shape. It's exactly the kind of dress I love (but too self conscious to wear)! And I found some fantastic purple fabric on sale at JoAnn's, which is good because I've never sewed anything in my LIFE. And I can tighten the tie in the back as I get smaller so it'll still be servicable. OF everything else, that is the kind of problem I"m really looking forward to having. Not enough small clothes. How long will it take? I don't know. But i"ll need to buy a new winter coat and it's fantasic!

What a cool problem to have!

After I posted about my say goodbye to food red velvet cake I made several people being sleeved on the 9th said it was their favorite too so we christened ourselves!

Te Protein powder sample I tried tonight was digossssting! Oh well....

Hi Ladies,

I am on day 11 of my liquid diet and I have lost 9 pounds as of today. I'm alittle nervous because 8 of those pounds were in 7 days and the last 3 days I had lost nothing. My surgery is set for May 3, the diet does get alot easier. I don't really think about it any more. I'm drinking the urjury shakes and Boost Glucose. They are both yummy!

Good luck to you all!!

Good Morning All,

Well I am on day 13 of my liquid diet and I have lost about 18 pounds as of yesterday. I am five days out from my surgery. I am getting a little nervous. At least my preparations will keep me busy. I will let you know week one was very hard. But now I am over the hump. Now I am not really hungry. I had such problems with the protien shakes. But on Tuesday for my pre-op class they had muscle milk and it tasted pretty good. So I got some, it has no milk, no sugar, and it does not give the stomach ache. Another life saver has been the SoBe life Water, the Crystal Light made me sick for 3 days. But other than that I am so ready. I am trying to stay strong while my husband whats he wants. I can not wait to get started on my new way of eating and being normal again.

Let me know how is everyone doing as the count down progresses.

Connie

One and a half days of Protein shakes, one day of clears and then SURGERY! I am so ready. I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck in the holding room, but I'm hoping for a little chemical help with that. :unsure:

I have lost about 15 pounds since I started the liquid diet. According to my scale this morning I lost 7 pounds in 24 hours, which is very hard to believe. I have done very well after the first two days, but I have noticed yesterday that my energy level has started to bottom out. I can see why they only do this for two weeks. Your body couldn't handle it for much longer.

After the first couple days I also got to where I could see and smell food without it bothering me.

TMI, but all the Protein is giving me Constipation. I'm going, but it's not too pleasant. I think I'm plenty hydrated because my urine is almost clear. I guess it's just the change in what I usually eat. My stomach hurts too. Not badly just kind of annoyingly.

I figure if I can survive these two weeks with my large, insanely stretched stomach, I should be able to handle it fine for a couple of weeks after surgery. On week 3 I can at least start pureeing some Soups and stuff to get a flavor other than "sickly sweet."

It's really great to have all this support here and to have so many people going through EXACTLY what I am right now.

Hi Ladies,

I am on day 11 of my liquid diet and I have lost 9 pounds as of today. I'm alittle nervous because 8 of those pounds were in 7 days and the last 3 days I had lost nothing. My surgery is set for May 3, the diet does get alot easier. I don't really think about it any more. I'm drinking the urjury shakes and Boost Glucose. They are both yummy!

Good luck to you all!!

Did the doctor say you have to lose a certain amount? I think we lose a lot of Water and then you get down to the fat, which is harder to burn. How many calories have you been eating? I am so bad with the shakes I have had about 600 calories a day.

i'll have to check those Boost Glucose shakes out....

Good Morning All,

Well I am on day 13 of my liquid diet and I have lost about 18 pounds as of yesterday. I am five days out from my surgery. I am getting a little nervous. At least my preparations will keep me busy. I will let you know week one was very hard. But now I am over the hump. Now I am not really hungry. I had such problems with the protien shakes. But on Tuesday for my pre-op class they had muscle milk and it tasted pretty good. So I got some, it has no milk, no sugar, and it does not give the stomach ache. Another life saver has been the SoBe life Water, the Crystal Light made me sick for 3 days. But other than that I am so ready. I am trying to stay strong while my husband whats he wants. I can not wait to get started on my new way of eating and being normal again.

Let me know how is everyone doing as the count down progresses.

Connie

Wow- 18 pounds- that is awesome! You are almost there- awesome.

Just thin how much easier liquids will be with a tiny tummy!

One and a half days of Protein shakes, one day of clears and then SURGERY! I am so ready. I'm sure I will be a nervous wreck in the holding room, but I'm hoping for a little chemical help with that. :unsure:

I have lost about 15 pounds since I started the liquid diet. According to my scale this morning I lost 7 pounds in 24 hours, which is very hard to believe. I have done very well after the first two days, but I have noticed yesterday that my energy level has started to bottom out. I can see why they only do this for two weeks. Your body couldn't handle it for much longer.

After the first couple days I also got to where I could see and smell food without it bothering me.

TMI, but all the Protein is giving me Constipation. I'm going, but it's not too pleasant. I think I'm plenty hydrated because my urine is almost clear. I guess it's just the change in what I usually eat. My stomach hurts too. Not badly just kind of annoyingly.

I figure if I can survive these two weeks with my large, insanely stretched stomach, I should be able to handle it fine for a couple of weeks after surgery. On week 3 I can at least start pureeing some Soups and stuff to get a flavor other than "sickly sweet."

It's really great to have all this support here and to have so many people going through EXACTLY what I am right now.

The thing I keep reminding myself re: the constipation, is that with liquid there just isn't that much waste! Although I have definitely slowed down that way I saw a Dr Oz recently that said three times a week is normal, so I am just relaxing about it. I am sure it will be much worse after surgery!

I've lost 10 pounds! Nights are still really hard- I am so hungry I am grouchy. It shows how much easier that will be post sleeve- bring it on!

Today we photograph an 11 hour wedding- I am going to eat a small meal at the reception as we work so hard I just can't be top form on liquids. This couple didn't book us only to have me be low energy and not my usual self! The weddings really take a lot out of us! I wont blow it with carbs, etc., I will have the protein at the buffet.

And of course the funny thing is I wok up in much better shape and totally ready to do liquids again.

After today I will be 8 days on liquids without wavering.

May 2nd peeps- you must be getting excited! (Do they do surgeries on Sundays? If so woo hoo May first!)

Chin up Red Velvets- eyes on the prize!

Well my 5 weeks of shakes and chicken ends today......the next two days are Clear Liquids for me and Tuesday is my day, May 3rd!! Started my two week work vacation and I am a whole mix of emotions from worried, scared to excited for what's to come.

I think I have everything I need for at least my first two weeks home. I have lost a total of 17 pounds on the pre-op diet. Not as much as I had hoped for 5 weeks. Hopefully the doctor is okay with it. Had my pre-op appt at the hospital last Wednesday and met with the anesthesiologist. I am praying they can get the breathing tube in while I am asleep. Because of my sleep apnea he said that sometimes they can't get the tube in and will have to wake a person up to do it, that will totally suck.

I like the name you picked, I am a fan of Red Velvet cake although I haven't had it in quite some time.

Good Luck to everyone, I look forward to posting my hospital experience once I am able and reading about everyone else's.

Good Morning Gang,

Well I woke this morning a bundle of nerves. I think I am going to take a ride to the beach to relax me. I was okay, I do not know what happen. I went to Walmart yesterday and got all my goodies for the days after the surgery. I do not what to I am nervous wreck. On top of that I have an interview on Tuesday for a job I have been waiting for 2 years. Do you think my job had better timing the day before my surgery. But on the other hand I thought, it could also be an omen, I start my new life on May the 4 and maybe that includes a new job. Keep your fingers cross :rolleyes: . Well let me take that ride before I go crazy with hungry.

Connie

Oh Connie I know exactly what you mean. I"ve been pretty nervous myself. I'm not afraid of the surgery itself. I'm perfectly comfortable about THAT, but it's everything that comes after that scares me.

I had a bad dream the other night that my husband was divorcing me and I realized my sub concious was screwing with me. This surgery is a BIG change, and once it's done it can't ever be undone. There's no reversal, there's no going back. And as much as I hate being like this and the road I"m on, we're always more comfortable with the devil we know. I've never been anywhere CLOSE to a normal weight before. What if I don't know how to adapt? What if I develop anxiety disorders or become a shut in? what if? what if?

I know I have to do this. And I know all the reasons I want to do this. I'm just very aware of what a big change this is and it's making me nervous too. One week left. I just have to get through one week...

Hi all, my sleeve date is Friday the 6th. I am excited, nervous, obsessed, impatient......etc etc. I just keep reminding myself that what I have been doing has not worked, so I have to move forward. I am most afraid that it won't work for me, or I won't lose as much weight as everybody here or that I will still be hungry all time (like I am now on the pre op diet.).

Start my 24 hour clears only. I cannot believe I am going to say this but I will really miss my Protein Shakes today. And nerves are starting to show up. This time tomorrow I will be in the holding room getting ready for my new start. When I started this process I guess I never fully believed it would really happen.

Good Morning Gang,

Thank you for the support, Good luck tomorrow, I will be praying for you. I cant believe I am two days away. My husband has been so great. We had the discussion last night am I doing the right thing. He is positive. Bless him. Of course he will be doing this process in June or July depending on the insurance. I know I am doing the right thing. The only he did say to me that makes sense is in six months you will forget the hospital stuff because of you new life and bright new future. Well let get some stuff done around the house. I have to work for the next two days and I have so much I need to do. I will catch you guys later. Again thank you for the all support. I am still a bundle of nerves.

Best,

Connie

Hey everyone,

I do not have to do the liquid diet, just a lite meal the nite before. I will be on Clear liquids for 4 days after, then full liquids for 2 weeks!

I am thankful that I took the pre-op diet so seriously and lost a lot of weight before hand because it kept me from having to do the liquid diet.

Good luck to you all!! In just a few days, we will be sleeved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly ;)

I am on Day 6 of my liquid diet. I am to have 5 Slim-Fast high Protein shakes or Meal Replacement bars. I can also have one meal a day consisting of 5oz lean Protein and two cups of non-starchy vegetables. I have lost 8lbs since I started and hope to lose another 7 to make 15 gone forever before surgery. I have added a scoop of Protein powder to two shakes a day and a half teaspoon of Peanut Butter as my lone serving of fat. I am only drinking 3-4 shakes a day so I can stay within my calorie limit. And I have split up my protein and veggie allotment so I can have two small meals a day. This makes me feel human! I have also been eating my meals on tiny plates and it totally works. It looks like a huge amount of food and tricks my brain!

I have noticed that my colon is on lockdown, and this is completely abnormal for me, so I am picking up some Miralax today. My energy level is very low and I can sleep long and hard whereas before I had trouble sleeping.

My husband and kids brought home an early Mother's Day present on Friday for me: a Magic Bullet Blender!! I have been oogling one for a while and now its mine! It really is amazingly easy.

I am so looking forward to my surgery on May 10th. I go to Dallas this Tuesday for my pre-op testing and admission. I am about 2 1/2 hrs away from Dallas, so I had to get the day off. My time off from work has been approved and I won't be missing any money (which is good since I am a self-payer).

The only thing bothering me at the moment is that my daughter is having her first band concert on May 12th. I hope all goes well so that we can haul ass back to our hometown from Dallas in time to see it. I know she is counting on us to be there to see her play!

Thanks for the topic..

Karen