Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am wondering why you decided to choose the sleeve instead of band or RYN.

I know for me, at the informational session I attended yesterday, I had my wall up, I kept my arms crossed. I was in the mindset of a rotten spoiled 2yo...no no no no.....

But when the doctor started talking about the sleeve it seemed like things just clicked. To me, it seems safer than the GB because there is no rerouting of the intestines, and there is less risk of losing Vitamins.

What are other people's thoughts?

Didn't want a plastic gizmo floating around in my gut and didn't want my plumbing rerouted with the subsequent lifetime malabsorbtion and dumping problems. The sleeve just seemed so logical and simple.

i agree 100% with rootman. plus, i have medication i have to take forever and would not be able to do that with they bypass.

the sleeve is just a better choice all the way around for so many reasons!

Kelly

well elizabeth I probably read 100's and 100's of articles on each surgery out there and did the pro's and con's on all of them. First the band has a really high failure rate after 5 years. If the band fails you have to have it taken out and there comes the weight back on. the Ryn there are soo many foods that you cant eat with the ryn. they reroute you intestines to make your food malabsorb. Wasn't a good choice for me. Now to the sleeve. Well the sleeve does not re-route anything and there is no plastic inserted for failure. Now you will be able to eat as much as if you got Ryn ,but every ounce will be digested unlike the ryn. You will have to take Vitamin suppliments after surgery due to the small amount of food you intake daily, but it is a small price to pay for the weight you will drop. I would not hesitate in doing the sleeve again if it was my choice to make again. The only thing I would change is having it when I was younger. The biggest advice I can give you is to do your research and make a good decesion based on your findings. Because in the end it is not going to be me living with the decesion you made. It will be you..

Didn't want a plastic gizmo floating around in my gut and didn't want my plumbing rerouted with the subsequent lifetime malabsorbtion and dumping problems. The sleeve just seemed so logical and simple.

ditto

I had been looking at WLS for several years and initially thought about the Band. However, I did not like the idea of something foreign in me and the doctor's visits to get fills to keep your restriction (or unfills if they put too much in). Also did not like the idea of intestines rerouted with RNY. I am two weeks post op and it has been a breeze. Some soreness, but really surprised it was not worse. I'm ready to get my life back! Best of luck to you.

Renee

I have a history of bouts with anemia so I felt any malabsorbitive route wasn't the best idea. And, to be frank, I found the idea of dumping extremely unpleasant. As for the band, I get queasy looking at and touching my own scars- there was no way in hell I was going to be okay with a plastic port hiding under my skin. Eww.

I also found the idea of the Ghrelin factory in the stomach being removed to totally make sense. Like you said, the gastic sleeve just made more sense to me. Plus, I knew that the sleeve can be a first step in RNY so if that became necessary down the road it would still be an option. However, I'm two months out now and I can't see that ever being necessary.

Good luck in your journey!

Amanda