Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...

Boy, I'm just all full of questions tonight! I know I should be writing them down to ask the surgeon on the 9th. But sometimes, it's seems so much better to ask the people who have actually LIVED THROUGH something!:D

So, I've had symptoms of CTS for years (9 to be exact) and they have been getting worse as time goes by (and I get larger). I had a hand surgeon tell me that if I were to loose weight, the symptoms could lessen and maybe even go away completely? Has anyone on the boards have that happen?

I was just wondering if he was speaking the truth, or just blaming another sickness on being fat? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Wendy

I was just wondering if he was speaking the truth, or just blaming another sickness on being fat? :rolleyes:

Don't you wonder when you hear your doctor say ALL your problems will resolve when you lose weight? Most will, but I do feel that sometimes they are too quick to assume ALL your medical issues are due to weight. E.g. I expected my knee pain/tightness to go away after losing weight, but while it's a little bit better, it's definitely still there!

That statement about carpal tunnel going away with weightloss seemed a bit fishy to me....I guess I could see how it might work, but it just seems unlikely. I do recall being taught that CP is more common in obese individuals. But here's what I found on Google:

Obesity and wrist shape correlate with a higher prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome, experts reported at the European Neurological Society Meeting in Rhodos (Greece). Weight loss in obese patients, however, does not bring relief of the syndrome. Experts suggest a genetic link between the two conditions, or a genetic profile that pre-disposes a patient to both conditions.

The pain in my thumbs and hands, mostly from arthritis, are much better now. I do give some credit to my Vit D3 and b12.... as well as the weight loss.

I Have CTS and No the WL hasn't helped it! LOL The only thing I have found is really changing your behavoirs and physical therpy! I haven't got to the point where I want to have surgery (docs have suggested but I'll try everything else first) but I have very aware of how I sit, type, drive, etc! I should be wearing braces but have been feeling pretty good for sometime now since I have changed how I do things but I'm driving for 1 1/2 hours per way to work and back each day so my wrists have been hurting a lot more lately!

Don't you wonder when you hear your doctor say ALL your problems will resolve when you lose weight? Most will, but I do feel that sometimes they are too quick to assume ALL your medical issues are due to weight. E.g. I expected my knee pain/tightness to go away after losing weight, but while it's a little bit better, it's definitely still there!

Only a few people knew what I was doing before my surgery, but a couple of them made comments that my knees would probably be less painful after I lost weight.

But I have skinny friends who have painful arthritic knees. Obesity is not the only cause of knee pain, so I am hopeful that it will be better but not expecting too much.

I had CTS when I was pregnant. The OB swore that once the baby was born, the CTS would resolve. Not true. I have bilateral Carpal Tunnel Release and that is when I received instant relief! I watched the release on the screen in the OR and was amazed! If your CTS pain is severe, do not be afraid of having it released!!! It is sooo simple and sooo immediately pain relieving. I have never regretted it!! Think about it. I get REAL tired of MDs as well as the general public accusing every ache and symptom on being overweight! It's Pain!! Do what is needed to make it go away. If it's CTS then treat it! Get the release. It's an outpt. procedure requiring only two to three stitches. Good luck!;)

I don't know if it was CTS but my hands used to go numb very often, especially while on the computer. I can say after losing 85lbs that ALL my aches and pains have gone away, including the hand numbness. My sleep apnea went away after losing 35lbs and nothing hurts anywhere anymore. I haven't even had a cold or flu since losing weight. I never would have thought that carrying so much extra weight around was doing so much damage to my body. I feel so much better now. I had a shoulder impingement problem (quite painful, couldn't reach behind my back) that got better and better with each 10 lbs I lost. The fat in our bodies can cause so much discomfort it's amazing.

WOW. Thank you all for sharing.. I am about >this< close to needing surgery for my CTS, but I don't look forward to the recovery with three kids and two of them in school right now. I'm planning on waiting until after I get my sleeve and loose a bit of weight first, (then I can tell the stupid hand surgeon to SUCK IT! when loosing weight doesn't work! LOL!! )

OMG... I am sooooo sick of people (doctors) blaming EVERYTHING on my being overweight, or because I'm diabetic (type 1, for 28 years)! A few years ago, during the winter I got the flu like three times! Of course it was blamed on my diabetes & not eating properly (how they 'knew' what I ate I'll never know... they just ASSUMED because I'm overweight, that I don't eat healthfully)!!! UGgghhhh, I just hate that!

So anyway, I've got my fingers crossed that it does go away and my fingers won't tingle and burn every night and I'll be able to sleep through the night without waking up and having to sit with my arm dangling straight down till I can feel my fingers again! Or take 600 mg of Motrin before I go to bed so that my wrists don't kill me when I wake up in the morning! LOL

Thanks again.

Wendy

Really, I had my CT release on a Wed. and was back to work plunking on my computer on Fri. The surgery is sooo simple these days. It is just two little holes --one in your palm and one in next to your wrist. A stitch in each and a pressure bandage for a couple of days and guess what? NO MORE CARPAL TUNNEL PAIN!!!!

WOW. Thank you all for sharing.. I am about >this< close to needing surgery for my CTS, but I don't look forward to the recovery with three kids and two of them in school right now. I'm planning on waiting until after I get my sleeve and loose a bit of weight first, (then I can tell the stupid hand surgeon to SUCK IT! when loosing weight doesn't work! LOL!! )

OMG... I am sooooo sick of people (doctors) blaming EVERYTHING on my being overweight, or because I'm diabetic (type 1, for 28 years)! A few years ago, during the winter I got the flu like three times! Of course it was blamed on my diabetes & not eating properly (how they 'knew' what I ate I'll never know... they just ASSUMED because I'm overweight, that I don't eat healthfully)!!! UGgghhhh, I just hate that!

So anyway, I've got my fingers crossed that it does go away and my fingers won't tingle and burn every night and I'll be able to sleep through the night without waking up and having to sit with my arm dangling straight down till I can feel my fingers again! Or take 600 mg of Motrin before I go to bed so that my wrists don't kill me when I wake up in the morning! LOL

Thanks again.

Wendy

Really, I had my CT release on a Wed. and was back to work plunking on my computer on Fri. The surgery is sooo simple these days. It is just two little holes --one in your palm and one in next to your wrist. A stitch in each and a pressure bandage for a couple of days and guess what? NO MORE CARPAL TUNNEL PAIN!!!!

That is so wonderful to know, I have the beginning of a wrist thing... partly arthritis, and partly CT, Im glad to hear I might be able to make it at least partly better some day when I need to!