Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been researching my decision and have been in contact with BeLite, I have made plans to go to Juarez Mexico to have the gastric sleeve done. I am so nervous about going in though texas right there. im hearing more and more scary stories. Then ill read a story from a person on here about how wonderful their experience was. Should i change my plans or go with it? Is there still alot of bad things happening there? Also i have been talking to my cordinator and she is so sweet. Her name is Ishi. i have asked her about the crime and she tells me that there is crime there but that i will not be anywhere near where the crime happens. Dont get me wrong i do trust her but the self protecting side of me says "she wouldnt say, yes there is alot of scary things and you might wanna say good bye to your family and friends cause you might not come back..." lol i dont think many people would go. ANY help or advice would be great!

[Hi Kerry, I went through BeLite with the Tijuana location and felt completely safe. In fact, my husband did lots of walking around the hospital area visiting cafes and convenience stores at will. This cannot be done in Juarez. You are literally kept in the hospital the entire time because of safety reasons. That's not a bad thing, but I, personally, didn't want the stress of worrying about my safety while being driven to and from the airport. BUT if you search all the people that have gone to Juarez, I haven't read about one person who had any type of incident occur during their travel. I just don't think this would be a good option for someone who wants to leave the confines of the hospital for any reason. That being said, from what I understand, the hospital in Juarez is beautiful and much more state of the art than in Tijuana. The hospital they use there is a bit older, but still sufficient. Good luck to you!

Hello Kerry,

I have been to Cuidad Juarez twice, both for immigration purposes for my family members. I have to tell you that even if someone tells you it is safe, I am sorry to say it is not. I say don't go there and choose a different location to have your procedure. The last time my husband and I went there we drove in. We ended up taking a taxi because it is really hard to find your way around there and also hard to trust people. The last taxi driver we had before we left had said they had 12 dead bodies the night before laying on the side of the road lined up next to each other right next to the border. It is extremely dangerous to go out after dark. Althought other people might not have a bad experience, I say don't put yourself in that unless you have too. They wouldn't hesitate to kill an American over there. You have other options as far as traveling to Mexico and if I was to choose I would rather go to Tijuana. I have been there multiple times and its pretty safe. Just don't talk to people walking in the street or beggars and you won't have any problem. Also, I don't know if you know this or not but any kind of travel to mexico now requires a passport as well so make sure if you go there that you have one or you may not be able to return home. Good luck and I hope I didn't scare you but always safety first. ;)

I was wondering why there were so many folks that went to Mexico for the procedure too.

Personally, I'd be too scared to go over the border for any reason, especially when the same surgery can be done here in the States.

I've heard that some people are going over to get cheep gas, and not coming back, particularly a teenage girl in her yellow VW Beetle,

her parents went looking for her, they found her car, but that was it. So not worth it, but then again, I'm a huge chicken.

I was wondering why there were so many folks that went to Mexico for the procedure too.

Personally, I'd be too scared to go over the border for any reason, especially when the same surgery can be done here in the States.

I've heard that some people are going over to get cheep gas, and not coming back, particularly a teenage girl in her yellow VW Beetle,

her parents went looking for her, they found her car, but that was it. So not worth it, but then again, I'm a huge chicken.

Huh? Not sure where this came from. We're suggesting that Juarez is not the safest place to go, but there are many other areas of Mexico that are very safe. And about the gas thing, people spend a heck of a lot of time in the customs line to get back to the US which wastes a lot of gas so it hardly makes sense to go there just for that!

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you, it was just a question. my bad.

No offense taken...just didn't understand the basis for your post. People go to Mexico because it's a lot cheaper than the states if you don't have insurance to cover it. Believe it or not, even in Mexico you can get the same or BETTER care than what you get in the states. It's a little known fact that Mexico as well as other countries, typically begin performing weight loss surgeries years prior to the United States so that by the time doctors here are doing them, doctors from other countries have far more experience and are training our US doctors. Lots of people have a preconceived notion as to what to expect in Mexico...people have told me I was going to come back with my kidneys removed and all sorts of ridiculous things, but that's because they've never been there and never experienced it. I've had weight loss surgery twice in Mexico and would not hesitate to go back. Both times, I saved over $15,000 and was treated by highly reputable doctors with WAY more experience than what I would have gotten in my state.

Read up on some Drs here in Vegas performing surgery if you want to see scary. I'm not scared to go to Mexico, I'm scared to stay HERE and have it done!

I went to Juarez on 2/19/2011. We had no problems. We were picked up at the airport and taken straight to the hospital. They take you on what we would consider a interstate. I don't know what they call it. You are on very little bit of side roads and those roads lead right by the embassy so they are obviously safer then other areas. We never left the hospital until it was time to go and we were picked up by the same driver and taken back across the border. The facility was A1. Dr. Rod and his staff were great. The only person I did not like is the guy that arranged the pickups but he was not the one that picked us up and the guy that drove the van was very nice. I'm sorry I have already forgotten names. I also went through belite weight. The other lady that was there her mother walked across the street to the mall and had no problems but I would not have done that. I just think you chances of getting hurt going straight to hospital and straight to airport are pretty slim. By the way I have lost 40lbs. I never had any problems. I had surgery on Saturday left the hospital on Tuesday and was back at work full time the following Monday. Could have went back sooner but had already taken off so why bother. Good luck.

My husband flat our refuses to allow me to go Mexico for the surgery, he just doesn't think it's safe, regardless of the $ savings. I would go if it were my decision- I personally think it would be safe after reading all the posts on here ,but he's been there before in the military, and just didn't want me to go. So i'll be having mine in houston and spending a lot more $ for it. *sigh*

I have not found any kind of reports of people being harmed, killed, or missing that have gone to Mexico for this surgery. They all have pretty much the same system of picking you up at airport and transporting you around. Then returning you to the airport. They know what areas are safe. I don't plan on going anywhere by myself and/or walking around.

Some people choose to go for the money savings. Some would not even get to have surgery at all if it weren't for the cost in Mexico. But as someone else posted, once you start looking into some of these drs and their yrs of experience and their skill, that is what is really impressive. A lot of them have done thousands, where a lot of the US drs have just started doing VSG.

I am planning to be sleeved and later have plastic surgery in MX. The total cost for all of it under $15k

do a little googling, you will see it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world and it is.

Also go to www.ice.gov - and put in Ciudad Juarez in the search results.

Although I am no advocate for Mexico - the girls and guys here have had a lot of success with Tijuana and Mexicali. Tijuana is more touristy then any of them.

Good Luck and Be Safe.

I'm going to juarez , mex on tues to have my sleeved done with Dr Rod , I have found a couple of people on here that went to juarez and didn't have any problems they all said they received top notch svr , I also spoke to a lady who went to Tijuana , and left and rescheduled in juarez ...and she said the hospital was nicer then tijuana. I choose juarez because it was a state of the art hospital ...as long as have God on my side I'm not worried ...good luck with ur decision ..

I'm going to juarez , mex on tues to have my sleeved done with Dr Rod , I have found a couple of people on here that went to juarez and didn't have any problems they all said they received top notch svr , I also spoke to a lady who went to Tijuana , and left and rescheduled in juarez ...and she said the hospital was nicer then Tijuana. I choose juarez because it was a state of the art hospital ...as long as have God on my side I'm not worried ...good luck with ur decision ..

The hospital is the reason I chose Juarez as well. Take your own pillow. They give you a little one. I would also take bandaids. They do not use little things that cost extra. They will just tell you to hold cotton on it. I will forwarn you the first day is not good. Their pain medicine was not strong enough for me but after the first day I was no longer in pain. The other girl with me said the same thing. By the secon day we were walking the halls together and sitting in the cafe visiting. Good luck hope you recover as well and fast as we have. I still talk to her and we are about the same place in our journey. Down 40 lbs in 2 months. I stalled after 1 week and lost nothing for 5-6 weeks. So don't freak out if you stall pretty quick but it will come off. I have no problems with fluids and never did. I was drinking gulps at the hospital and never gotten sick. I went and had blood work done at 6 weeks and everything was great. You will love Miguel he is one of the nurses. Once again good luck and will see you on the losers bench.