Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Appointmet with my Surgeon

Today at long last was my pre-op appointment.

ONe of the coolest things was how impressed my doctor was with my ist of questions- which of course stemmed from my exposure to everything here on VST!

The answers (I'm sure you can figure out the questions!)

Staples,reinforced staples, and sutures

No catheter (YAY!)

No drain (YAY!)

Done with air on the spot, not done after surgery unless you have symptoms

Koumadin (I think) injection before surgery and electronic massage sock thingies after

and most interestingly- size 32.

I feel guilty about one thing. I was told last week when I got my date thatI will be on liquids from April 25th until my surgery 5/9. So today when he said "Start your liquids now" I said nothing because, guilty though I feel, I have no plans to do it now. I have some social plans between now and then including Easter and ,,,I just am not starting until Monday,

So this is really happening!

I'm so excited for you!

I just got home today - sleeved Monday. I did have a catheter until Tuesday morning, but no drain thank goodness. They also did an air test but nothing else unless I have symptoms. I'm having a little pain drinking and as I said in another post I'm allergic to Vicoden so am just on Extra Strength Tylenol.

You know what's great about really READING these boards (and I know you do - I see you everywhere)? I think it helps avoid that "OMG is everything OK, what have I done to myself??" reaction. I had read a lot of people being uncomfortable drinking the first couple days. So I'm uncomfortable drinking? No big panic, not the end of the world. Big incision hurts? Well a bunch of people complained about that, so perfectly normal, move on, nothing to see here.

It normalizes the experience. And knowing it's normal actually makes it more comfortable because you're not worried about it!

You are incredibly well informed. You're gonna do great!

you can start when every you want. Just call your doctor and tell him that you are planning a family thing and that your not starting your liquids until afterwards. He may move your date a couple of days but the girls in the office do understand that we are human and things happen.. I will give you some advice be very dedicated to your liquids. It will be hard as hell for the first 3 days but it is well worth it. The better you do on liquids right now is the better your going to do after surgery. Also get with doc and get started on a ppi (previcid,protonics,zantac..etc)if your not on one right now. It is awesome he is using a 32 bungie on you. it makes a small sleeve. The sutures make the sleeve tighter also. I am soo excited for you. this truly as been the most awesome thing I have ever done for myself. It has helped me with my self esteem as well as the way I look at myself as a whole. I wish you soo much good luck and a fast recovery.

Yes good luck on your liquids, as mentioned above it isn't easy but it is doable. You will make it. You may want to start by cutting Carbs now until your liquids start. That way you can eat w your events you have planned but make a good dent at the same time. Your timing is coming...

Yes, when I start I will be absolutely compliant- I know I need to be. I just didn't want hi changing the date- he kept talking about two weeks so I Know that was his intention - and the pre-op appointment is usually two weeks before the surgery so I get why he said it....it just threw me off.

I have my premiere Protein drinks in the fridge already...