Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question on eating then waiting to drink

I'm having a hard time getting all of my Water in, and of course afraid to stretch out my stomach. I am 4 weeks out today and lost 27 lbs, but this week lost only 2 lbs. Kinda bummed, thought for sure I'd lose at least 4. My Dr.said not to drink 15 min prior to eating, and to wait 45 min after (eating). My Question is, when I'm doing just a liquid day of Protein Shakes and Soup do I still have to wait the time period? Also, food isn't going down so well. Any thoughts?

I am 8 days post op and cannot tolerate lots. I was back to Clear liquids because the middle of my sleeve is squished. Well, it felt so much better I tried...well, I was bad and tried cottage cheese. Small curd and smooshed the tiniest bites up before I swallowed...wooohooo, it went down ok and I'm feeling good! But I had to sip Water while I was eating it because I was afraid it was too solid...it was fine. I don't want to 'stretch my sleeve' but I had to sip some Water. Today I am getting the water in fine, plain water seems to go down best. Protein water...much slower, even crystal light takes loner than water (but less than a Protein water) Funny huh? Maybe because of the flavors? Play with your fluids and find what slides down best and sip like a crazy gal! I'm supposed to have 3 Protein shakes a day (8oz) each between each meal...but I cannot! TOO FILLING! I did one 8oz Protein shake with almond milk and added a scoop of flavorless protein...BAM 48grams of protein, then that lil 4 oz cottage cheese was 11 grams of protein! 59 grams of my daily 60 right there! So do I really need 3 Protein Shakes? ?? I'm thinking no. I'll sip the protein water to get in a little more (we can use minimum 60 but up to 80 grams a day) I don't know if this is right, please all you pros out there let me know if I'm making mistakes....but this is how I am surviving at this point! Good luck.

ps...all it took was the threat of going back to jail...I mean the HOSPITAL for IV fluids if I dehydrated...to get me sipping like a crazy woman!! Some days its exhausting, others ok!

I don't wait with shakes but and I do 15 minutes before and 30 minutes after as per my doctor. I don't have a problem with not drinking with meals but after meals I want a drink. I now pop in a piece of gum and I found it really, really helps with the thirst. As for the Soup, I haven't really had any since I was on liquids. I associate soup with that phase and just CAN'T eat it now :)

Good Luck on your journey! Keep sipping sipping sipping....It gets better !!!

I'm having a hard time getting all of my Water in, and of course afraid to stretch out my stomach. I am 4 weeks out today and lost 27 lbs, but this week lost only 2 lbs. Kinda bummed, thought for sure I'd lose at least 4. My Dr.said not to drink 15 min prior to eating, and to wait 45 min after (eating). My Question is, when I'm doing just a liquid day of Protein shakes and Soup do I still have to wait the time period? Also, food isn't going down so well. Any thoughts?

If all you are having are liquids, you don't have to wait to drink between "meals." If food isn't going down so well, change your food, change the speed you eat (slower) take smaller bites, go back a step from where you are (soft solids back to mushies, mushies back to pureed, etc.) Stick with it, it gets better!

when I am having a liquid day there is nothing to stay in your stomach so I don't wait 30 afterward. the reason they ask you to wait is that it give your stomach time to start breaking down the foods in your stomach. when you are drinking Protein Drinks there is nothing to break down. I am eating solids but I do take a sip or two of Water so everything goes down smoothly. You have to remember that there are times your body is going to slow down and try to catch up with your weight loss(this is called a stall) It happens to everyone there is no way to prevent it. You really have to have faith and a lot of patience in these times. Try upping your water intake and Protein you will get back to losing again.