Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Obstacle 2: Sleeve Prices Vary

Dr. "Nick" Nicholson in Plano / Dallas accepts self pay, and they offer a finance plan. I had my procedure done with him 2 months ago, and I couldn't be more pleased. You might check out his pricing / finance plan.

Well, interesting... haven't seen those bad reports .. and YES makes me think again.

The problem is that I can get $5,000 together but NOT $8,500. Where I live, the doctors will do the surgery IN the US for $9,000 so if the Doctors in Mexico are the same price as Texas, then why keep looking?

Doesn't matter though because I simply cannot afford over $5,000 ... fact. If I could, then locally would be my best choice.

So .. sadly... depressingly... doesn't look like I have good options afterall.

Just need to sleep on it and keep shopping.... and dreaming.

I live in San Antonio and had my surgery with Dr. Almanza. Things people say are unfounded but keep coming up. I had my surgery on the 14th of March had no complications. As a matter of fact there were 7 people who also had surgery with Dr. Almanza on that very day so if he was so bad why would he still have so much business. I had great care while there. Don't let the negative comments scare you off. These comments are coming from people who have never had surgery with Dr. Almanza. Anyone can speak of second hand knowledge it's first and knowledge you should be concerned with.

Did you really say you were one of eight on one day or was that over a couple of days?

That is one of the reasons I have chosen the sleeve over the lapband - low maintenance. I am in Texas, so there isn't any post-vsg support locally that I am aware of. That doesn't bother me because of the abundance of information on the forums. I just have to step over that line and make the airfare reservation. lol... that will be the defining moment. :D

Thanks again -- your feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

There is a group located at University General Hospital that meets at 6:30p the second Wednesday of the month. There are a mixture of surgeries- band, by-pass, sleeve and at least one DS. May's meeting we are going to take a tour of the Kroger's on Main Street just south of the Med Center. I like this group because there is a mixture of people- some pre-op, just had surgery, and those that are more than 5 years out (there was one 10 years post at the last meeting). This is open to all who had surgery, want to learn about the surgery and the support people in your life if they want to attend. We have a wife who had RnY who husband always attend, a daughter who's mother had surgery.

Shybaby do not take offense to my question I am just wanting to clarify what you said. Everyone should feel comfortable in their decision as to whom they chose as a doctor and you appear comfortable in yours.

I know I'm new here and post very little, I've been busy reading and researching on here and other forums. I think I'm normal in that I've flip flopped between which Dr. I thought was qualified, which one I'd trust, how much money I will (hopefully!) have to spend and omg am I out of my mind?!?! WHY do I want to put my body through this and WHY can't I just follow what others here eat and NOT have the surgery at all?!

The truth of it is this, I'm fat. Big admission, eh? I have tried every diet out there (had great luck with Atkins and felt wonderful!) and had success and obviously failures. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue syndrome a few years ago and put on medication. These medications not only make it virtually impossible for me to lose weight, but have made me GAIN another 150 pounds on top of my already pudgy body. MEH! *insert foot stomp here*

I have called Drs in the US and Mexico because my ins. doesn't cover anything at all for the VSG, they consider it experimental. I've made my choice in the Dr. that I will be going with, which is Dr. Aceves. It's a personal choice and one that I'm comfortable with and obviously he may not be right for everyones budget or peace of mind. I absolutely don't want to put anyone down or make you feel less intelligent or affluent by making a different choice than the one I chose. I think almost imperceptibly people get little digs in on others, probably not intentionally, for the choices they are making. I don't want to do that and I wouldn't want anyone to feel like they're less of a person or not as intelligent for making a different decision than the one i'm making. What I will say is this, call around, ASK QUESTIONS, read read read! If you are comfortable in the choice you've made, flip off everyone else as you go to your dr and do what's healthy and right for your body.

I'm a bit like Tiffykins, from what I've read of her posts. I want a full service hospital and a staff of people that not only have the knowledge to save my life (if things happen to go from sugar to sh!t) but the equipment on hand to do it with. While I hate hospitals, I feel that I would be better off mentally and emotionally to know that I have a team waiting on me should anything happen.

To everyone here, every single person that has posted and made a difference and helped me on my journey, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know that I'm making the best decisions possible (FOR ME) based on the information that I have and I feel like I'm better informed now that all of you have taken the time to post, respond and reach out a hand to help others. I thank you.

Renee`

:D

I'm in Houston too! We can all be Houston Almanza buddies!

It should make you feel better that the more serious issues coming from his facility are from 2009 and I think they have seriously cleaned up their act. There is risk in every facility. I feel comfortable enough to move forward knowing that I wouldn't be able to pay $9k or the like with my anti-debt stance.

Surgery date: August 5th!

I'm in Houston too! We can all be Houston Almanza buddies!

It should make you feel better that the more serious issues coming from his facility are from 2009 and I think they have seriously cleaned up their act. There is risk in every facility. I feel comfortable enough to move forward knowing that I wouldn't be able to pay $9k or the like with my anti-debt stance.

Surgery date: August 5th!

:D HEY! Yep -- I feel good about my choice. You know how many "day surgery" clinics there are in Houston?!?! The term "real hospital" doesn't mean much to me since I live in a town FULL of "Day Clinics" (and some of the best medical facilities in the world). I've looked at the reports from 2009, 2010, and 2011. I also feel comfortable with my choice. Texas girls can be tough. hahaha Let's keep in touch!

Several years ago I had major surgery (in Houston) on my face due to skin cancer. They got me up off the recovery room bed and WALKED me to the waiting room. My husband was SHOCKED to see my cut up face (they had to remove part of my nose, cut a flap of skin from beside my lip to build a new nostril, cut cartiledge from behind my ear to rebuild my nose - I had stitches & blood everywhere!). They had him walk me to our vehicle and drive me to a "hospitality house" for recovery. I had an appointment with the doctor the next morning and then released. I remember NOTHING except standing up in recovery until I woke up the next morning to get dressed for my appointment. My husband said I threw up several times during the night. He was freaked. Needless to say I have a very HIGH pain tolerance. Day surgeries & Day Clinics are common place in Texas.

BTW - The doctor who performed my surgery was a plastic surgeon. My face is almost perfect -- Most people cannot tell there is a scar at all. YES it was scary at first... but now? It is all ok. :D

ALSO -- I found a support group close to me (North Houston area). That was one of my concerns - "after surgery". I feel a LOT better knowing that there is a group I can join and learn from. (Methodist Hospital)

There is a group located at University General Hospital that meets at 6:30p the second Wednesday of the month. There are a mixture of surgeries- band, by-pass, sleeve and at least one DS. May's meeting we are going to take a tour of the Kroger's on Main Street just south of the Med Center. I like this group because there is a mixture of people- some pre-op, just had surgery, and those that are more than 5 years out (there was one 10 years post at the last meeting). This is open to all who had surgery, want to learn about the surgery and the support people in your life if they want to attend. We have a wife who had RnY who husband always attend, a daughter who's mother had surgery.

jbtcat -- I missed this post! Thanks for posting this! It is good to know there is support with "skin on" when we get home. THANK YOU.

:D HEY! Yep -- I feel good about my choice. You know how many "day surgery" clinics there are in Houston?!?! The term "real hospital" doesn't mean much to me since I live in a town FULL of "Day Clinics" (and some of the best medical facilities in the world). I've looked at the reports from 2009, 2010, and 2011. I also feel comfortable with my choice. Texas girls can be tough. hahaha Let's keep in touch!

This is truth! I live in Pasadena and there are probably like 15 surgical centers within a 10 mile radius of my apartment. Texas girls are tough. Houston girls are tough-er.

Yes I did mean there were eight surgeries that day all throughout the day

:huh: holybananas, that's quite a few. I don't think I'd want to be his last patient of the day, just in case he didn't wanna be late for a golf game or something. All kidding aside though, I mean, surgeons get tired and burnt out and worn out too, right? Are you SURE about this? Like 100% sure? I'm kinda wanting to reach through the monitor right now and tug you back LOL

Renee`