Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

a tiny babystep...but still lots of roadblocks

Well, I turned in my paperwork to the surgeon's office yesterday, which is a tiny babystep on my WLS journey. Then, last night over dinner, i brought up the topic again to my always skeptical husband, and again got the "why can't you just save us $12,000 and do this on your own? $12,000 is such a lot of money, thats like what a car is worth" wow, anybody want to guess that he doesn't have a weight problem? Of course he doesn't. This is so frusterating. Roadblocks: 1) skeptical husband 2) big ole $12,000 bill. Yes, I can get financing, already qualified in fact, however we'll get to tack on a $350 a month bill to our already stretched finances.3)don't really want to tell my family and co-workers, however I'll have to since I'll need help with the kids, and I'm not fond of making up cover stories , just dreading spilling the Beans and letting them into this very personal decision. However, I know that this is what I want, I WILL do it, roadblocks or not. post-47116-13813668080189_thumb.jpg

post-8459-13813656503603_thumb.jpg

Hi Sophie, Wow do I feel your pain...almost same story with me. It took 6-8 mos for my husband to support me, he doesn't have weight issue either. We have 2 1/2 yr old twins and only a MIL to who will play with the kids once in a while (like once a month). I decided to tell no one, my family back East has little sympathy and can be judgmental. Fortunatly my VSG was covered under my ins, but I had to be over 40 BMI, I was 38BMI at first and rejected. So I gained 15 pounds and made it happen (much easier for dh to accept then for sure). Just wondering if you tried that route? When it came time for my surgery, my dh took the week off from work to care for the babies. He really didn't need to, I recovered in about 4 days. Long weekend would have been enough. Although everyone recovers at a different rate. I am a SAH Mom so I'm not really around anybody when it comes time to eat, except dh. As far as telling co-workers, I might say that I had my gallbladder removed and am on a strict diet (though its no ones business really). I had road blocks too, but now I'm 4 weeks out today with 28 lbs lost. Some days easy, some not. But all in all I'm glad I did it, I'm already feeling the benefits. Hope this helps and keep me posted on your journey. Kelly

Well, I turned in my paperwork to the surgeon's office yesterday, which is a tiny babystep on my WLS journey. Then, last night over dinner, i brought up the topic again to my always skeptical husband, and again got the "why can't you just save us $12,000 and do this on your own? $12,000 is such a lot of money, thats like what a car is worth" wow, anybody want to guess that he doesn't have a weight problem? Of course he doesn't. This is so frusterating. Roadblocks: 1) skeptical husband 2) big ole $12,000 bill. Yes, I can get financing, already qualified in fact, however we'll get to tack on a $350 a month bill to our already stretched finances.3)don't really want to tell my family and co-workers, however I'll have to since I'll need help with the kids, and I'm not fond of making up cover stories , just dreading spilling the Beans and letting them into this very personal decision. However, I know that this is what I want, I WILL do it, roadblocks or not. post-8459-13813656503603_thumb.jpg

Well, I turned in my paperwork to the surgeon's office yesterday, which is a tiny babystep on my WLS journey. Then, last night over dinner, i brought up the topic again to my always skeptical husband, and again got the "why can't you just save us $12,000 and do this on your own? $12,000 is such a lot of money, thats like what a car is worth" wow, anybody want to guess that he doesn't have a weight problem? Of course he doesn't. This is so frusterating. Roadblocks: 1) skeptical husband 2) big ole $12,000 bill. Yes, I can get financing, already qualified in fact, however we'll get to tack on a $350 a month bill to our already stretched finances.3)don't really want to tell my family and co-workers, however I'll have to since I'll need help with the kids, and I'm not fond of making up cover stories , just dreading spilling the Beans and letting them into this very personal decision. However, I know that this is what I want, I WILL do it, roadblocks or not. post-8459-13813656503603_thumb.jpg

Hello SohieJaneB, I was in the same situation. I was going to use a well known surgeon in the Dallas area and I had the same situation with my wife. I have been researching this for a long time. The first thing i did was i get my wife on the forums and tried to educate her on the procedure. I then researched surgeons in Mexico since i was self pay. The first thing people think about when they hear Mexico is "underground". I have found that is not the case at all. The surgery cost 4.500.00 in Mexico instead of 12,000 in the states because we do not have to pay for the fancy hospitalsor the ridiculous mal-practice insurance premiums docotrs have to carry because of the suit happy people and the culture here in the states. I would never tell someone they should use a certain surgeon or go to a foreign country to have their surgery, that is research and a decision you must make with your family. It is the decision that was right for me and my family. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and i would be happy to give you any information.

Good luck on your decision.

I love the idea of him getting on this forum and reading up on all the information and success stories. I don't know what he has against mexico, but when I brought it up, he said, people disappear in mexico! it's not safe! I've been to Tijuana when I was in the military and it is a dirty town. --I hated to hear him say all that because it pretty much shut the door to the mexico option. But maybe if he reads up on these boards it will open his mind up a little bit. Education is the key.

I love the idea of him getting on this forum and reading up on all the information and success stories. I don't know what he has against Mexico, but when I brought it up, he said, people disappear in mexico! it's not safe! I've been to Tijuana when I was in the military and it is a dirty town. --I hated to hear him say all that because it pretty much shut the door to the mexico option. But maybe if he reads up on these boards it will open his mind up a little bit. Education is the key.

Tijuana is not the only option in Mexico, though. Neither is Juarez. They both have been getting a lot of media for violence lately, too. I have been to both and they are kinda scary to me. I went to Mexicali with Dr. Aceves. So have 100's of others here. Just search his name here and you will find nothing but good things. He is not as cheap as the others there though. Right around $9000 but that's $3000 saved and worth every penny. I had never heard of him till I came here in November and I was having surgery by March. I researched every post I could and knew he was the one.

Good luck to you, wherever you decide to go. Glad you have your mind made up to do it. You won't regret it and I hope you get your husband on board, it will be so much easier.smile.gif

Thanks DIsney! That is good information. I am so excited, I am now scheduled for consult in Houston on Sept. 1st~ :) SO EXCITED!!! Time to work hard and save $$!!

I'm going to TJ to dr. Ponce de leon and have only read good things about him. He teaches bariatrics and has proformed this surgery on other doctors. I'm like how cool that other doctors would go to him, right. Anyway his price is 4,500 or so. Not only this doctor but most will pick you up at the airport and take you right to the hospital. Its not as scary as some would think.

My hubby was a little nervous too and sure its a big investment to spend that kind of money. He reminded himself outloud one night that his purpose in our married life was to worship and make me happy. I didn't know to cry or laugh. Getting this surgery for me and the expense of it is the most selfish thing I've done. I got over those feelings though. I'm worth every penny! Good luck to you. Can't wait to see you post " I've been sleeved!!"

Dr. Marvin is a great doctor. He is the doctor who revised me to a sleeve from the Lap-Band. I like the fact he use to be a trauma surgeon so he has experiences when things are difficult.