Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you manage to cook for family right after?

I have 3 kids and DH to cook for. DH works long hours and I'm unemployed. After surgery how on earth will I manage to still cook regular dinners while I'm eating just liquids and mushies? We stay on a very strict budget and eating out is just not in the budget very often, especially after all the dr. bills! I was thinking about getting some freezer meals made up ahead of time but I'm not very good at that. How did you do with having to fix food for the family when you couldn't eat it yourself?

Maybe you can set a day where you make some meals to freeze. I made a big pot of sauce and Soup and put it in small containers. My family bought over some meals after surgery also. But for me the second week I was home I just wanted to feel normal and was cooking, I wasn't tempted by the food. 5 months later we seldom go out to eat now because I enjoy cooking so much and we eat so healthy. Good Luck!

I have 3 kids and DH to cook for. DH works long hours and I'm unemployed. After surgery how on earth will I manage to still cook regular dinners while I'm eating just liquids and mushies? We stay on a very strict budget and eating out is just not in the budget very often, especially after all the dr. bills! I was thinking about getting some freezer meals made up ahead of time but I'm not very good at that. How did you do with having to fix food for the family when you couldn't eat it yourself?

Made four Entrees yesterday and have plans to make more the next few days. Most will go in the freezer for my mom to feed the kids while I'm in the hospital in MX and the rest is for after surgery. I'm getting a bunch of frozen veggies for sides. My big kids are fairly competent with lunch and Breakfast as long as I have some easy fixes around. It's a challenge, for sure. I don't like doing all that cooking, but I think I will really be glad I did. Don't forget frozen meals, like Stouffer's lasagna and such. I'll likely grab a couple of those, too! You can do it!!

I have had friends offer to make freezer meals for me which I accepted and will be picking up on Thursday (day before surgery) I also bought some things that I know my 4 kids and hubby will like but I absolutely will not eat ever (Hamburger helper blech)

I have made 3 different types of Soup (then blended and strained them) and frozen them in ice cube trays then transfered the cubes to freezer bags so I have a quick meal should I feel the need to make a hasty retreat from the kitchen.

I have to admit that I had a lot of help. My husband took a week off of work and then my mo-in-law flew in to help also. I have 3 little ones under 6, so this was a huge help! However, some of the things that were helpful since were buying lots of fruits and veggies at the beginning of the week and had them all cut up in storage containers in the fridge for easy grab and go healthy Snacks or sides. Buying lots of easy grab and go healthy snacks...string cheese, yogurt, lunch meat, gold fish, etc...Those things usually got them through morning and afternoon. You said that you don't want to freeze things and are looking for inexpensive, but you can still have "leftover" type things...a big rice dish, or a big noodle dish that they can eat on for a couple of days will cut your time down in the kitchen. After 3-5 weeks or so you should be ok to cook normal healthy things for your family and you should be able to pick out some of the things within your meal family meal for you to eat too :) Good luck. I know it seems hard and a bit overwhelming right now, but I promise the time actually goes fast and you will adjust. At 6 weeks out I am now cooking completely normally and my family is benefiting from my healthy choices as well!

Not sure how old and capable your kids are but for mine, I bought a bag of frozen burgers that the could make on their own, I bought some hotdogs and metts, frozen pizza, etc. I told them they had to do it on their own for awhile. It worked out fine, and my daughter actually made a comment that she really missed my home cooking (I would have never heard that before!) They didn't eat the most healthy meals but it was only for 1 week so they survived!

I would just do cold cut sandwiches and chips, pb & j, eggs & toast or canned Soup or nuggets. They also have microwave meals for kids. I know not the best, but easy and cheap! at least for the first week!

Are any of your kids old enough to cook?

It would not be forever and would give you time to get better!

best of luck to you.

kelly :D

I bought corn dogs, frozen pizza's, canned Soups, mac & cheese......easy stuff my family could fix themselves. I didn't feel like cooking for about 2 weeks and it was hard for me not to taste the food I was cooking after I got back to cooking meals again (while on liquids). I felt bad feeding my family such junk, but I really didn't feel like cooking for the first 2 weeks. Btw, I'm a SAHM and my family is used to home cooked meals.....needless to say, they were VERY ready for me to start cooking again after 2 weeks of "instant" food!! LOL!

For while I was in the hospital, my family had stuff like frozen pizza, lunch meat, and Soups. I kept that all on hand for after I got home in case I didn't feel like cooking. I really enjoy cooking and ended up cooking dinner on my 4th day after the surgery. I didn't mind at all not being able to eat, but I haven't had any kind of appetite. I've been cooking since. I found it beneficial for me to stay moving around, plus I was absolutely bored out of my mind and had fun with some new recipes because I had the extra time.

You will manage just fine. Like everyone has said, cooking ahead and freezing it is a fabulous idea. Plan ahead and you everything will work out!! Best of luck!!!

I got home Monday evening and have 2 young children and a husband to cook for as well as a home bakery. For the first time ever, the smell of food did NOT make my mouth Water and once I got out of the kitchen and couldn't see it, i completely forgot about wanting to eat! Before surgery i would have totally obsessed about the box of doughnuts on the counter or the pork loin I had just cooked. Once I was reading in the living room, it didn't even cross my mind to eat. Very nice experience! I do have a cookie order I'm working on today and I'm finding it hard to beak my habit of taste-testing as I go.

Lots of great advice. My kids are 11, 9 and 7. They can manage scrambled eggs, mac & cheese, frozen pizza, hotdogs etc. It'll probably be in the summer when I have surgery so they will be home all day. I think I will get off my butt and actually do some freezer cooking and make sure I have easy stuff on hand too. Thanks!