Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stress Relief without Comfort Food

Presurgery I would use food as a stress reliever. Long day at work? Oh some ice cream will make that better. Now post Op I seem to be much more reactionary and little things really seem to get to me, especially when stressed. Anyone else notice this? Found any good quick stress relievers?

All I can offer is I was a stress eater, and a happy eater, and a boredom eater, and a sad eater....I had reasons for everything to eat. That's why I weighed 350lbs. So, that being said....I still feel like eating when all of these things happen. The difference? I may pop a Hersey's kiss instead of the whole bag. I may eat 2-3 doritos instead of half the bag. I still have my "fixes" but I'm ok with just a few things instead of totally giving myself a food coma. I also try and distract myself by getting away from the thing that is stressing me. It doesn't always work, but it helps.

I just ate for the pure hell of it so it didn't matter what was going on, I ate.

For me, keeping myself distracted was my coping skill when I couldn't eat. I would journal, clean house, go for a walk, throw myself into a little project, or I would just wait it out.

If you have no restrictions on snacking, or tossing in a snack (within your caloric/protein guidelines), try a cheesestick, some beef Jerky, Pork rinds something Protein focused that you can at least eat that won't be considered junk food.

I remember very clearly the feelings you describe. I was a biotch and flew off the handle at any little thing after surgery. I had to appologize to my husband after I realized how rude I was to him.

I felt my reaction could have been due to hormonal changes. You might be doing more than your body can handle right now. I took almost a month off work, and I'm glad I did! I've had numerous surgeries, but never had this reaction before. It caught me off guard. I did not turn to food during these times.

While still in the hospital, one nurse gave me some advice, she said you will have good days and bad. Remember to enjoy the good days and to pamper yourself on the bad.

When I remembered this it helped tremendously. When I wanted to wig out I would think, okay this is one of the bad days, so I will let hubby know this and take things alot more easy and be more thankful for those in my life that love me and take care of me.

Hope this helps. I'm feeling back to "normal" at 2 1/2 months out now.

Hey,

I get stressed really easily... through a variety of different reasons... and I try to deal with it in a positive way. Pre sleeve, I would eat chocolate or junk food and sit and watch telly sulking!

Now, I try to exercise the stress out of me... we have a free gym in work, so if I know I have a heavy day of stress ahead of me I take my kit and jog on the machine ... if at home, I tend to take the dog out for a walk or run up and down stairs a couple of times... might be cliched but works for me...lol

=]

There is so much good advice on this board. For me this board alone helps me with stress. Another way is find someone you can talk to even if its not about your stress but just to bs with.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions. Because I know that I would have typically tried to satisfy my emotional needs with food, I don't even want to try anything small. I have a real slippery slope fear. If I start out with an M&M, it could likely end up being a bag. Nope, need to learn how to find other ways to sooth. Maybe meditation or chanting....uummmmm.....ummmmm. Thanks again.

Some other ideas that have helped me are to pour a nice cold glass of juice to enjoy while I take a nice hot bath or shower. Alone time and the hot Water always help melt my stress away.

If hubby didn't work that day he will usually be happy to give me a nice long massage too. That usually results in........well you can use your imagination there! LOL

I was an anytime eater but frustration could always be soothed by eating. Yep, I was so soothed and weighed over 250 pounds.

My husband has recently gone through bypass surgery - but before surgery - anything and everything stressed me. I found out my old way of "soothing" myself wasn't going to work any longer - in fact, I laughed when I realized that I couldn't stuff myself with anything!!! Two bites and I would be growling - I was so full. But the lightbulb went off! I finally had to find another way to get rid of the frustration. What do I do? I walk, do housework, or hula hoop - it's a great cardio exercise (it only goes around three or four times but it's better than when I started and it only went around once. Granted it's going to be a while before I can keep it going for 30 seconds but it's something I did as a kid and I really want to do it again). The one thing I really like is getting into my closet and trying on clothes. Not only are you moving and stretching, each time I try on an item and it feels a bit looser - I think - do I really want to return to my old ways. Then I start smiling, because I know this is a victory for me!

The point is... find something positive to do with your frustration - work it off. In the long run, you're going to overcome one of the worst habits most of us have had - feeding our frustrations!