Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

blood pressure really dropping

I'm doing so well. I had my surgery on April 8th. My bp rose and has flopped around a good bit. I'm on bp meds and yesterday and today it was much lower. I found myself with 105 over something around 6pm and really couldn't do anything but go to bed. Do you think tomorrow I should cut a bp pill in half and see how it goes? I do NOT want to get that tired feeling again. On Monday I can call my doctors. (of course, I'd call tomorrow if I had to). I'm getting my liquids and Protein in and I'm positive it's not dehydration that has made me so exhausted. I was great all morning, took a nap, pressed on with things, and then it hit me bigtime. Suggestions?

Call the doctor's office ASAP and speak to a nurse or doctor on call. Don't wait for Monday if you're blood pressure is dropping and going hay-wire. I don't want to be an alarmist, but my lead nurse told me about a woman who felt sick on a Friday night and didn't want to have to go to the ER, so she waited till Monday to come in. Well, she was septic by that point and she died that day because she had a major leak. She told us this story to stress how important it is to listen to your body and alert the medical professionals if you have any doubts. So if you are feeling off, better safe than sorry and talk to health professionals and not this bulletin board. We're here to help and chat and share, but we can't give you medical advice. It's your doctor's job to listen to you. You won't be bothering them! You're worth the attention!

My blood pressure dropped to an alaming low because the nurses were still giving me my BP meds. The doctor had a fit when he saw that I was still on them and took me off them immediately,. I went from taking two per day to none. t\They couldn't even get a BP reading on me when I went in for my post op at 11 days after surgery and finally got 73/.42 and then couldn't get one again. My BP has been down ever since and the pills are no longer needed.

Hi, I think mine was 90/57 when I finally got in to see my regular doctor to get the all clear on stopping my B/P meds. If there is a way to either talk to your doctor or even pharmacist and make sure the b/p med you are on does not have a rebound affect if stopped suddenly.

Thank you-----I feel too terrific and can eat things so easily that I'm not at all worried about a leak. My bp was 125/83 this morning without meds. I will call someone before taking them today. Or just take half .....thanks

Call the doctor's office ASAP and speak to a nurse or doctor on call. Don't wait for Monday if you're blood pressure is dropping and going hay-wire. I don't want to be an alarmist, but my lead nurse told me about a woman who felt sick on a Friday night and didn't want to have to go to the ER, so she waited till Monday to come in. Well, she was septic by that point and she died that day because she had a major leak. She told us this story to stress how important it is to listen to your body and alert the medical professionals if you have any doubts. So if you are feeling off, better safe than sorry and talk to health professionals and not this bulletin board. We're here to help and chat and share, but we can't give you medical advice. It's your doctor's job to listen to you. You won't be bothering them! You're worth the attention!

Thank you----very encouraging. I feel too good to think anything is wrong except I don't need the meds as much. I'll call my dr. before taking anything today or just take a half of one.

My blood pressure dropped to an alaming low because the nurses were still giving me my BP meds. The doctor had a fit when he saw that I was still on them and took me off them immediately,. I went from taking two per day to none. t\They couldn't even get a BP reading on me when I went in for my post op at 11 days after surgery and finally got 73/.42 and then couldn't get one again. My BP has been down ever since and the pills are no longer needed.

My husband was sleeved March 7, 2011...and they told him to keep taking his BP meds. Well, 10 days post-op he blacked out. Went to the dr. that same day and they immediately took him off all BP meds. HAPPY DANCE. He has been monitoring his at home and getting really terrific readings. He is shocked out how low it is without meds. It was one the big reasons he wanted to have the sleeve...get off those meds. I hope this is the case with you too!

Yes, I too had lower BP immediately after my GSV. I think the rapid lowering of caloric intake and perhaps not getting enough fluids might be the reason. I had stopped taking BP meds prior to surgery because they were making me nauseas and was surprised when my BP dropped to acceptable levels right after discharge.

I also would encourage you to see the doc or an ER at the earliest convenience as there is also a possibility of internal bleeding, although you don't mention any other symtoms ther is an outside chance. Better safe than sorry.

I also want to add that it is good you keep checking your bp. We routinely check bps before giving bp meds. So long as systolic (the first number) is >90, it is usually ok to give. Some bp meds also can drop the heart rate so it is good to check that as well and make sure you don't go below 50. Some doctors may put different restrictions on the meds if you are prone to having you bp drop so it is always good to check. ;)

It certainly is my plan! I drank some oj---could be a bit of a low-blood sugar deal, too. Feeling GREAT today!

My husband was sleeved March 7, 2011...and they told him to keep taking his BP meds. Well, 10 days post-op he blacked out. Went to the dr. that same day and they immediately took him off all BP meds. HAPPY DANCE. He has been monitoring his at home and getting really terrific readings. He is shocked out how low it is without meds. It was one the big reasons he wanted to have the sleeve...get off those meds. I hope this is the case with you too!