Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there everyone! My name is Billie Jo and I just registered to the site yesterday. I have to say that I have found many inspiring stories here and I joined because I believe this could truly be the only place I can go where everyone will understand just how incredible this journey really will be. Yes I will get thinner, healthier, but its about a lifestyle that will change everything about me. Mind, Body, and Soul. Nobody understands like those going through the same thing right? I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to say here so I guess I will just share my story... and my fears. :D

I am 35 years old, 5'6" and 333lbs, the heaviest I have ever been. I have PCOS, and an under-active thyroid. I have always been overweight but ever since I developed the thyroid issue I have gained weight rapidly and havent had much luck shutting it off.

My mother and sister in law had the bypass several years ago and my sister in law gained much of it back by not continuing to follow her dietary requirements. My mother kept the weight off but ended up very weak because she failed to exercise or take in the Protein requirements to keep her healthy.

When you go in - you go in ALL THE WAY or you let yourself down. I have decided I am ready to take that leap. I went to a seminar on the surgery options about 2 years ago and then my insurance ran out and I was unable to move forward. Last month I decided to go for it. Luckily my insurance's only requirements are to have a medical condition that could improve with the surgery, and have a BMI over 50 for the last 5 years... HA! that was the easier test I ever passed! This month I attended all the nutrition classes, psych eval, testing etc needed and now I am just waiting on the insurance approval. I have a tentative pre-op appointment date of 4/27 and a surgery date of 5/4!! And I have to say I am super excited to be on the losing side of the surgery!

I have been reading this book 'before & after' by Susan Leach and its very inspiring. Her mantra seems to be 'nothing tastes as good as thin' I have to AGREE and I think that will help through also.

I have only 2 worries about all of this. One is the anesthesia, as I have never had any type of surgery so that scares me and then the second fear is not losing. What happens if I do all of this and then never lose weight lol is feeling this way normal? I just cannot ever in a million years see myself getting down to a manageable size let alone thin. I fear I will always be this way. I would imagine that there are others that had that fear too and were able to overcome. I will too. So I am putting myself out here and telling you things some of my closest friends dont even know because aside from my husband you are probably the only ones that would ever understand. :rolleyes:

I look forward to sharing more in time. And I wish all of you luck whether at the beginning or end of your journeys!

Welcome Billie Jo,

I hope that you have a great outcome with your insurance! Having the sleeve done is one of the best things I've ever did. It's a life changer! I know that once you are approved, it's only up from that point for you! Good Luck :)

Welcome! You are among friends- the best group of loving supporting people ever.

If your approval-I will say WHEN your approval goes through you and I will have our surgeries very close together- I am on May 9th. I would be happy to be along with you on your journey as support buddies.

As for your fears- this will be fourth surgery, and I understand your fear of anesthesia. I was terrified my first time too- wrote a will, and went through a lot of emotional trauma - and though I wont tell you there is no risk you need to remember all the tests you have just gone through- I have NEVER been so completely evaluated as far as my ability to do the surgery! Actually now that I have had all these tests I am kind of surprised how little they tested me for my back, knee, and elbow surgeries! The other thing to remember is that you face a possible early death if you don;t do this- you are going for LIFE and health- have faith.

As for the fear of not losing- I think we all feel that way. I have this fear that I will have every single bad complication, and will hardly lose any weight. That is really not likely! Though your PCOS may slow you down a bit- just know that if you are faithful to the rules- take your Protein in, drink your Water, limit your carbs, and exercise- you WILL lose. You will be give a wonderful tool that will make you full really fast and that is fabulous- that will end up doing the trick for you in a new and better way than any other time in your life.

Don't be afraid! We are all here to help you along the way.

Hello Billie Jo and welcome!

I think we all shared your fears before surgery.

I "only" have to lose 81 lbs and it's going down slowly compared to other people, but it keeps going down and it's an amazing feeling. You will lose because you have decided to turn your life aorund. And you'll love yourself more when you start seeing all the weight coming off.

I still can't imagine myself weighing 128 lbs, I still can't believe I am going to get there one day seriously!

All you feel is absolutely normal.

About anesthesia... I don't know... I wasn't scared at all and I remember it as the best dreamless sleep of my life!

Hi Billie Jo,

My surgery is on 5/4 also. I start pre op diet on Monday. Also I have my pre op appointment on Tuesday. I trying to get organize and get the house together. Between work and school I am so busy. I think that being busy will make things go fast. The best of luck to you. Let me know how things are going. This forum is great. I am so looking forward of starting my new life.

Connie

Welcome!

You found a great place to ask any question imaginable!

My sleeve surgery was my FIRST real surgery (other than my wisdom teeth removal)

And, I didn't have any real issues.

As for not losing, everyone loses at different rates so you may be a quick loser, or you may lose slowly. But you will lose if you're following the guidelines set!

good luck and congratulations