Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

water & liquids post-op

Sorry, I know this is a common question, and read a great thread about it before my surgery, but now I'm sitting in the hospital and cant find it....

I had my surgery 2 days ago, and today is my first day on liquids... all they've given me is barley tea.. :(

So, can you tell me what you were drinking 3,4,5, or 6 days post-op.... Anyway, what were you drinking and how much, and how often??? Thanks in advance!!!!

could I drink a little Vitamin Water??

Yeah you had it done!! So happy for you!!

I have 3oz of chicken broth with unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein 3 times a day it takes a good 20/30 mins to get it down and in-between i will have a sugar free Popsicle which during the whole day I have my favorite crystal light with my Water and sip sip all day ;)

I'm 9 days out saw my Dr today I've lost 17lbs since surgery he said I was doing everything great ;)

So proudly you!!

Starr

I did this as an outpatient surgery, so I had surgery at 10AM, home by 5PM that night. Was it easy? No. Was I happier in my own bed? Yes.

So, I had lukewarm tea, peppermint was my favorite (caffine free), G2 gatorade the first 2 days. Third day on I did add in clear liquid Protein and chicken Soup. There is a great thread on here - under general sleeve surgery discussion called "what you will need for surgery." Or google "cornell sleeve diet" which has some great information for after surgery diet.

The only thing I seemed to tolarate straight after getting out of the hospital was iced coffeine free coffee with skinny milk and sweetener.

Once I got home I had broth often and found out the only way I could drink Water was adding effervescent Vitamins to it and I still do it twice a day.

I also had s/f jell-o.

I couldn't tolerate popsicles and still can't (weird)

One of my favorite things right after surgery was diluted apple juice. It was all natural, no sugar added apple juice and I diluted it half and half with Water. Hit the spot for me.

Sorry, I know this is a common question, and read a great thread about it before my surgery, but now I'm sitting in the hospital and cant find it....

I had my surgery 2 days ago, and today is my first day on liquids... all they've given me is barley tea.. :(

So, can you tell me what you were drinking 3,4,5, or 6 days post-op.... Anyway, what were you drinking and how much, and how often??? Thanks in advance!!!!

could I drink a little Vitamin Water??

Glad to hear you got through surgery Starygirl!! They gave me Propel Vitamin Water and chicken broth to drink in the hospital after I passed my leak test on Wednesday. (Surg on Tues) I was discharged that afternoon and if my fuzzy narcotic influenced memory is correct...I drank only water at home. Thursday I drank plain water, had a popsicle and drank some of the unjury chicken Soup. Friday I had an Atkins chocolate Royale shake, a few ounces of creamed red pepper soup which I re-blended in the VitaMix to get any bits out, diet green tea and of course...more water! Today I am in the process of slowing having another Atkins shake and I drank more vitamin water when I took a walk this morning. I don't love the vitamin water but hubby says I need the electrolytes so I my goals is to drink 12 oz of it over the whole day. Barley tea doesn't seem like much to have at your stage of the game but I am also assuming that you still have an IV so you are not going to get dehydrated. Keep us posted! :thumbs_up:

And YEA to the other glitter peeing (that makes me smile every time I see it) Starry here for her fabulous success!! Way to go! :cheer2:

I had a tough time with clears (first 10 days for my doctor). Hot tea, chicken broth, apple juice, and Gatorade in the hospital. Propel Zero, Gatorade G2, Vitamin Water, unjury and nectar Protein powders (only certain ones, and with Water only) at home. Some drink Isopure, but I found it revolting. Any clear liquid was ok by my doctor, as long as it was low carb and/or sugar free (and alcohol free!).

Due to gas discomfort and swelling, I didn't hit my recommended Fluid or Protein intake levels until I got on "full liquids" (days 11-20). Once I was allowed to have milk and once the gas disomfort subsided, hitting my daily protein goals was easy. I still have problems hitting my 64 ounces per day Fluid goal, however that's only because I forget to drink when I'm sitting at my desk at work.

The key (especially early) is small, frequent sips - max 2 oz. per 15 minutes according to my surgeon. I always have some sort of protein or water drink in front of me, as I'm still not on mushies yet (day 18). My best day before day 11 was 48 ounces, and I felt like that was pushing it. Some have an easier time, some tougher. Just be patient.

As for protein powders during my clear phase, Unjury strawberry sorbet mixed with lemon Propel Zero or Crystal Light wasn't too bad, kinda like pink lemonade. Also, I liked a couple of the nectar protein powders (I bought a sample pack from bariatricpantry.com to get me through the clears and to try them before buying a tub).

Oh, and you might find plain water boring now. I used to drink 3/4 gallon of ice water per day, now I don't like it. I must spruce it up with lemon, Crystal Light, or drink one of the aforementioned bottled brands.

Good luck and welcome to the post-op world!

Glad you're doing great...

I had chicken broth, i had a sugar free Popsicle and I have my favorite crystal light.

G

Sleeved April 11th and I am still having a hard time getting ALL the liquids/proteins in. I am more concerned with hydration at this point and want to stick to clear as much as possible. In the hospital they gave a variety of liquids to try, I choose the Protein Shake which was okay but a bit slimey/thick and I could only get in 2oz at a time. I would be full for hours after the shake and well ...dry.gif it just didn't make sense to me.

At home I mix a Protein Water cocktail. I use a product called ProteinBlitz, I think it is IsoPures competition (found at vitam-shoppee). I made the mistake of trying the Isopure smoothie (yuck) so now I won't touch any of their stuff. Any how I grab a large glass and crushed ice and pore in three different flavors: Grape,Mango and Punch and top it off with sugarfree orange/grape poweraid. A regular bottle is 20 Fluid oz and has 30 grams protein. So Now I can have my protein and fluidstongue.gif

I also sleep with a water bottle...since I can't stretch to the night stand-- for now.

And YEA to the other glitter peeing (that makes me smile every time I see it) Starry here for her fabulous success!! Way to go! :cheer2:

AH thanks so much... I'm still nervous over everything still worried about screwing up but hey I can't learn it if I don't feel it ;) Besides I have ALOT of support here from everyone how can any of us fail with so much knowledge and everyone is so NICE without drama crap...

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!

:success1:

Thank you everyone for your responses!!!!! biggrin.gif They have been so very very helpful~!!!!!!

Since I got home 2 days ago, I've been downing G2.... or G2 mixed with a little bit of cranberry juice (it's cocktail though, so just a little cuz of the amount of sugar)... the cranberry really goes surprisingly well with G2 kinda grapefruit taste... I've been doing chicken broth.. and nothing has EVER tasted so good!! I tried beef broth= gross.. and then beef broth with mushroom broth= okay....

I've also been drinking some Korean brand of Protein shake made with milk, but I think I'm going to switch to Water cuz of the amount of carbs I've been getting.. about 40 a day... I want to stay under 30.... The main thing for me is that I'm not drinking regular water... I've been using Smart Water... even in my Protein shakes (cuz I use powdered skim milk and just blend in my little blender). biggrin.gif

@Starry--- I feel the same way!! I love how supportive you all are!!! My family and the majority of my friends don't know, so you all have been a lifesaver to me!! oh, and someone else said this before, and I feel the same... every time I read your glitter comment, I cant help but smile.... thanks!! biggrin.gif

@TijuanaPlication--- I'm so glad you recommended miso!! I love miso so much and never thought about it!!! I'm off to make some miso now!!! Yippee!!!