Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here and I have a question!

Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking for a few days and finally worked up the courage to join!

Not banded yet, working on saving up the cash!

My big question to all you bandies out there is this:

I have to go out of town for my procedure. Is it feasible for me to go by myself, stay in a hotel for a couple days after the procedure, and then drive the three hours home? Obviously I would cab it to and from the clinic/hotel, and will have brought along everything i could possibly need, food, meds, etc... Just wondering if I would be so ill that this was not practical.

Sorry to ramble, what do you all think?

I'm so happy I found this site!!!

My doctor wouldn't let me drive for a week, post-op. Yours might be different. I would ask before hand.

PS...Welcome to our tree.

My doc didn't say that I couldn't drive but he did say that most patients wait 3 - 5 days before driving.

I could have driven within a couple of days but didn't have to.

How far of a drive are you going to have to make?

M

Sorry, but there is no way you should or would be able to make a 3 hour drive solo after surgery. It takes a while for the effects of the anesthesia to go away and it's not wise for you (or the other people on the road) to consider this option.

Hi mvpo8961, thanks for responding:)

It's about 350 kms. I'm mostly concerned about being in the hotel by myself right after surgery. Did you do it alone?

Hi Elizabethsew, thanks for your reply.

What if I stayed in a hotel by myself for two days, and then went to stay with a friend who lives in the area? Would I manage okay by myself for the first two days?

Thanks again

I stayed in the hospital until the next afternoon. I managed on my own after I got home because my husband works long hours. So I think you'll be alright. My doctor didn't allow me to drive for two weeks.

Congratulations on your decision to get Banded.

Roberta

Because of the effects of the anesthesia my Dr. insists you cannot be left alone for 24 hours post op. People can become very dizzy and disoriented and perhaps fall and hit their head, or are not thinking clearly etc. You shouldn't make any important decisions for the first 24 hours too, as it can effect some peoples thought processes. Even if you feel awake, clear and alert, anesthesia will effect your bodies reflexes and coordination for at least 24 hours, so driving ability is impaired, even though you may feel perfectly normal. Some people will have all the anesthetic out of their system in as little as 12 hours, but other people it takes a few days for them to feel back to normal again.

I know someone who went to Mexico by herself, got banded, and then flew home alone. I think she spent the first night in the hospital.

I went to Mexico by myself. I was driven to the hotel after leaving the surgery center and also driven to the airport. I flew home and drove to my mom's house from O'Hare. Then the next day I drove two and a half hours home. It was tiring but the only thing that was horrible was dragging my own suitcase to my car at the airport. I asked people to pick it up off the conveyor and up into my trunk. Good luck! Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Hi Elizabethsew, thanks for your reply.

What if I stayed in a hotel by myself for two days, and then went to stay with a friend who lives in the area? Would I manage okay by myself for the first two days?

Thanks again

Can the friend who lives in the area come and stay with you in the hotel? You really should not be alone for the first day or two. After that, your body will tell YOU whether or not it's ready to progress with a long drive home.

Heck no! You will be weak and will not know how everythng is going until that evening (if done in Mexico) . Also the person who comes with you can go walking with you to get the gas out and get you ice chips if needed and help with the fun of going to the restroom (squatting). Dont try to do this on your own , plan this out talk to/ confide in someone and take them with. It is worth it. My banding partner took the family best friend as his wife couldnt come. seemed weird but it worked for them! Think out all you options!

It appears we all have our own experiences and so you will definitely have to make the best decision for you; however, for myself, I would not attempt to drive home alone at all. I had sharp pains, spasms, gas etc. If I had been behind a wheel of a car it really isn't any telling if I would have survived much less anyone else.

Also, what if you have complications later that night. My coordinator was a lifesaver because she was able to bring things to me and in general made me feel safe.

Can the friend come over? Perhaps teh friend knows a someone who can spend the night with you. Nurse's Aides are usually pretty affordable. A teenage babysitter, etc.

HI! Ceparano, Leila, Carlene, JulieLu,ElisabethSew, Julissa1974, and ljones4521.

Just what I needed...some honest opinions based on personal experience. So I guess its on to plan B. I will get my dh to come with me and stay for the surg, and have him deposit me at my friend's place (she lives in Mississauga) for the recovery. My problem is, I hate to ask for help! silly, I know.

Thanks again everyone.