Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously need some advice

I was sleeved on 3/9 and so far it has been a horrible experience. I had a lot of nausea at the beginning and really did not tolerate eating or drinking. Last weekend I was readmitted to the hospital for dehydration and intense stomach acid issues. I had a swallow test and an EGD and the doctors say everything is fine. I am still burning up with acid everyday. I can feel it swishing in my stomach. I contantly dry heave or spit up foam. Today it felt like I had to burp but then I just started spitting up and could not stop. It was the consistency of egg whites and i could barely breath while i coughed this stuff up. It was very, very scary. Drinking makes me queasy and I can eat very very little. I take 40 mg of omeprazole a day and have tried protonix and carafate too. Tomorrow I go to the doctor to discuss my options. Do I have ANY hope of this getting better? I am miserable, so much so if changing to RNY will really make me feel better I would seriously consider it. I chose sleeve because I thought it was the best choice but this has been a nightmare.

I know exactly what you are going through! I had the same problems and still do now from time to time. I am 4 1/2 months out. It does get better, I was about 4 months out before I felt better. I ended up going to a gastorial intensial doctor. I was put on Dexilant which is the strongest (and newest) medicine for the acid. I also take 1 pepcid every 6 hours and tums as needed. I have finally started to wean off the pepcid. I have a very hard time drinking anything also, if I get 32 ozs a day I have done good. Eating is easier for me by far. Hang in there it WILL get better, probably not as fast as you would like!

I hope you start to feel better soon. Maybe check what Shine1075 said about Dexilant with your doc and see if he will prescibe the medicine for you. I know that in the early stages my nexium worked for so many hours and then bam I would wake up in the early morning (couple of hours before I should get up) and it would bug me. As time went on the acid subsided and I have been able to get through till the next day.

Hope you find a solution soon.

I am so sorry you are so miserable!

I was about to start a thread about acid problems because I was talking to someone at Water aerobics about my fear of having to take an anti acid medication for my whole life- fearful because they are not great for our bones.

She mentioned that she had done a lot of research in order to try and treat hers without taking education and found that f she takes a teaspoon of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm Water every morning it really helped and in fact she went from having even water cause acid to hardly ever having reflux.

Maybe that could help you? Make sure it is unfiltered organic, not just regular apple cider vinegar.

I am sending you a big hug and keeping you in my prayers.

Please give it some time before you consider the rny, I think it is so extreme to divert your intestiines and you might be able to solve this.

One thing I forgot to mention...I started seeing an acupuncturist. I know it might sound weird but I know she has helped me. I wish I went to her months before!!

{{{Missy G}}}

You poor thing, you have had a hell of a time post-op. :(

I really do believe things will still get better, I hope you can find some relief in the meantime. Reading all the boards I do, it's clear that, regardless of which surgery people have (and I'm talking any surgery, not just WLS), some people just recover very differently and on very different timelines to others, regardless of any "reasons." Maybe try and do some cheesy positive thinking and picturing things healing and getting better; imagine yourself hugging your new little sleeve and making it feel better. Feel like you're on the same side as your body, not like it's against you. I don't know, try acupuncture too. And definitely that newer acid-preventer.

I do believe things WILL get better. Which doesn't help right now, but will at least offer a little hope?

I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult recovery. I hope things improve for you soon. You're in my thoughts.

Missy so sorry that you're so miserable!! I have read that we may have to try different acid meds before we find the one that helps us the most. Also taking more than 1 dose a day till we adjust. The swelling is probably making it worse, so when that goes down it shoild help. Do you know if you have a hiatal hernia? Usually the drs repair it during your surgery. I hope you find relief soon!!

IMaybe that could help you? Make sure it is unfiltered organic, not just regular apple cider vinegar.

Meg, I use organic apple cider vinegar for other homeopathic remedies; however, I know quite a few people that use it for heartburn or GERD. One thing, I would check with a bariatric surgeon to verify how the vinegar will treat the new tender tummy (especially newly post op).

Melissa,

Oh hun, it sounds horrible. I will send some prayers up for this to resolve. Try to stay positive; I know it is hard. They will figure out what is wrong or find the right meds for you. Good luck <3

This is some literature:

Vinegar and Acid Reflux - The Natural Home Treatment

A third approach (a popular natural home remedy) to help reduce or eliminate acid reflux is to take the following apple cider vinegar tonic:

Natural ACV Tonic

2 or 3 teaspoons (10-15 ml) in an 8 ounce glass of Water,

before meals or whenever heartburn is experienced.

One underlying theory here is that the acetic acid in vinegar lowers stomach acidity (increases its pH) since acetic acid is a weaker acid than hydrochloric acid. It is also believed that vinegar (acetic acid along with its acetate salt) may help buffer and maintain stomach acid at a pH level of about 3.0. In this milder acidic environment, the stomach can still efficiently digest food but it causes less problems with the esophagus and thus less heartburn.

Another theory contends that the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) is a pH sensitive valve.

When there is food in the stomach with insufficient acid present, the LES valve can periodically flop open, causing acid reflux.

Too little acid in the stomach may be caused by different factors, but one of the most common one is that, as we grow older, our body does not produce as much stomach acid.

As a result the LES valve, sensing less acid, periodically flops open causing acid reflux.

Drinking apple cider vinegar supplies the LES valve with the acidity it needs to function properly.

Ref: http://issuu.com/thebestoftimes/docs/december2008/34

As like everyone on here said.. I'm sorry about what you are going thru.. and I can RELATE IMMENSELY. But I want you to know there is HOPE and give your body TIME to adjust. TIME is a big major factor here as well.

I had my surgery on Feb. 15th. I too had the same expereience of dry heaving, throwing up foam, barely can breath, the feeling of being intoxicated but you have no control, scared to eat or drink anything. the burning acidic feeling.. Everything you explained I went thru during the first month after surgery. I even went thru Depression.. wondering if this was the right thing I did? And YES for me.. it IS.

BUT.. I learned aside from my sleeve acting up.. it was all in me. I started reading my binder again. (Kaiser patients receive a VSG bible prior before surgery to prepare yourself)

My conclusion? This is a life style change. I wasn't sipping my Water like I should. I was drinking like I normally do. The food I was consuming was either too fatty, oily, sugary.. and of course this was is a BIG NO NO.. So I readjusted. I started eating SLOWER. Making sure I take 30 bites or more and also Sipping slowly helped me BIG TIME. After eating any meal I MAKE MYSELF either walk or stand because it helps me digest better for some reason.

I hope this helps.. I know it sounds really like basic. BUT in reality by mastering eating slowly and sipping on your drink really reduces those symptoms you're going thru.. also.. I think because you just recently had surgery.. your body is still re-adjusting.Take time, watch yourself and how you might be consuming your drink and food intake. Give yourself TIME..it will workout. I hope this helps.

My mom in law did the vinegar thing and it actually was the wrong thing for her because instead of it being heartburn, she was having signs of a heart attack. Not trying to scare you but like others have said, please ask your doctor before trying anything for symptoms like those. You are in my prayers and please let us know how everything comes out.

I was sleeved on 3/9 and so far it has been a horrible experience. I had a lot of nausea at the beginning and really did not tolerate eating or drinking. Last weekend I was readmitted to the hospital for dehydration and intense stomach acid issues. I had a swallow test and an EGD and the doctors say everything is fine. I am still burning up with acid everyday. I can feel it swishing in my stomach. I contantly dry heave or spit up foam. Today it felt like I had to burp but then I just started spitting up and could not stop. It was the consistency of egg whites and i could barely breath while i coughed this stuff up. It was very, very scary. Drinking makes me queasy and I can eat very very little. I take 40 mg of omeprazole a day and have tried protonix and carafate too. Tomorrow I go to the doctor to discuss my options. Do I have ANY hope of this getting better? I am miserable, so much so if changing to RNY will really make me feel better I would seriously consider it. I chose sleeve because I thought it was the best choice but this has been a nightmare.

My VSG Surgery was on 4/6. Fortunately, I knew pretty much what kind of possible discomforts I might experience. So far, the only real bother is the Acid Reflex issue. I was told I could try an antacid (i.e., Tums, Rolaids, Zantec). The Tums didn't really work and the Zantec is disappointing as well. I'm scheduled to meet on the 19th to discuss any problems I may have had. Hopefully, the acid issue will have ended by then. I was also told to walk, and sit upright to help control the stomach acid. Most of my occurrences have happened at bedtime or when I was lying down. Keep in mind that you're stomach is now less than 1/4th what is use to be so you just don't have the room to eat a full meal. What's really amazing to me is the amount of followup information that Doctors have failed to provide to VSG patients. This forum appears to be the best bet at getting what you're looking for (if you can't get what you need from your doctor). Good Luck .... I'm confident it'll get better!

I went through that as well for the first couple of weeks.. It got to the point of me wanting to just give up and never eat again. My doctor put me on Nexium and within a week I noticed a big HUGE difference. He also recommened drinking hot tea to help break up the foamy stuff.. I used the peppermint tea and it did wonderful.. You will get better over time, it's just getting you to that point before you decide to through in the towel.. Did your doctor scope you before surgery? I was scoped the day before and they found the H. Pylori bacteria in my stomach.. After surgery I had more then normal acid amounts in my stomach. He said it could have been caused from the acid trying to kill/breakup the bacteria.. I hope you get some relief soon. It's miserable I know from experience, but it DOES get better..

So sorry to hear you are going through all of this...what does your doctor say about having the RNY done? Maybe you should consider it.

Ugh - sorry to hear about your pain! I had a bad experience too.

As per my Doc - I am on 40mg of Nexium 2x/day, Zantac 300mg, and Maalox as needed (helps with those foamie gas bubbles).

He gave me Carafete, every 6 hours which helped, but gave me bad diarrhea, so I stopped and the Maalox helps now when I need quick relief.

Had an endoscopy which turned out normal. Had an esophageal manometry (tests esophagus function) and still waiting for those results.

Eating food helped me - if I just drink shakes, Water, etc. it seems to be worse.

Good luck to you - hope you find some relief SOON!!