Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone watch OWN last night?

Did anyone watch the new show "Addicted to Food" on Oprah Winfrey network last night? It follows a group of people with eating disorders through an inpatient treatment center, including a few people who have compulsive overeating disorder. Two of them said that they had undergone gastric by-pass, but it hadn't worked and they were still morbidly obese. I was kind of surprised by this, because I thought gastric by-pass was supposed to be pretty much foolproof.

Being my natural pessimistic self, I started worrying about maybe my plication won't work. I don't think I could stand the disappointment if it doesn't. This was my last chance effort to get healthy and skinny, and I don't know where I'd go if this were to fail.

Anyone else have these worries? I swear, if I didn't come up with something to worry about, I don't think I'd be breathing. It's just my nature, and I hate it.

On the plus side of things, I broke 200 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the first time in 2 years. Just barely at 199.8, but I did it!!! So excited. It gives me motiviation to try to up my walking routine so I can take even more off. That makes a little bit over 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Not the fastest weight loss I've seen on the boards, but better than my usual efforts, and I'll take it.

Amy

i watched it too, i was getting a little irratated at the one lady that was a purger, and i think she needs to find a new career..i wouldnt want someone who binges and purges, to be a counselor on eating disorders.. but i guess we'll see how she does with treatment. hah

i dont think any of the surgeries are fool-proof... all i keep hearing is that theyre a 'tool', and they showed the one lady that had rny eating all kinds of crap.. so i guess thats why hers failed :-p

and 10lbs in 2 weeks, thats great! whats the normal avg. like 1-2lbs per week? and congrats on breaking under 200.. i cant wait till i can say the same!

n this is my last chance effort too, im still preop, but heres to hoping that we're successful in this :biggrin:

Any WLS can fail if the person just continues to stuff their face continually and slowly with high calorie foods. Just goes to show how truly messed up we can get.

Did anyone watch the new show "Addicted to Food" on Oprah Winfrey network last night? It follows a group of people with eating disorders through an inpatient treatment center, including a few people who have compulsive overeating disorder. Two of them said that they had undergone gastric by-pass, but it hadn't worked and they were still morbidly obese. I was kind of surprised by this, because I thought gastric by-pass was supposed to be pretty much foolproof.

Being my natural pessimistic self, I started worrying about maybe my plication won't work. I don't think I could stand the disappointment if it doesn't. This was my last chance effort to get healthy and skinny, and I don't know where I'd go if this were to fail.

Anyone else have these worries? I swear, if I didn't come up with something to worry about, I don't think I'd be breathing. It's just my nature, and I hate it.

On the plus side of things, I broke 200 today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For the first time in 2 years. Just barely at 199.8, but I did it!!! So excited. It gives me motiviation to try to up my walking routine so I can take even more off. That makes a little bit over 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Not the fastest weight loss I've seen on the boards, but better than my usual efforts, and I'll take it.

Amy

Amy,

I missed last nights episode and I really wanted to see it :( I think that every WLS has the potential to fail - or should I say - every patient has the potential to fail. If we eat crap food that slides through then of course it will fail. You on the other hand, have a great attitude and motivation that will keep you losing. Everyone here on the forums will encourage and motivate you.

Congrats on your 10lb loss!!!

Happy Dance Time

:party4:

Oh I saw it alright I set my autotune just so I would not miss it. I agree with the others anything can fail if you are abusing it, and the way those two women were stuffing their faces with crap food it's no wonder surgery did not work. I keep saying to people no this is not a magical thing that happens and you instantly lose weight with no effort from you, no you will have to make good choices and work your butt off to get your "tool" to help you. And that is all it does and is; A tool to help you achieve your weight-loss goals/needs.

I will definately be watching this show through to the end. Interested to see who gets their head issues straight.

Okay so here's my take on the whole "it's just a tool thing"...while I would agree to some degree I'm not completely sold on that philosophy. I think we are all looking for more than just a tool. We have had plenty of "tools" throughout our weight loss journey like fad diets, pre packaged meals etc...this surgery is more than just a tool. I would have considered myself somewhat of a food addict, maybe a full blown one I'm not completely sure, but this surgery has helped me lose weight in ways I never thought possible. It has not been a struggle, I don't find myself dieting. I count my calories and log them daily, but I eat what I want. Luckily my food desires have changed so that certainly helps. I am just over 7 weeks post op and I have lost over 25 lbs. and I have done that PREGNANT!

Amw, I too am a worrier and I was so worried that I would be the one statistic that didn't lose weight after WLS. What I learned from that is that the negative feelings alone were what would hold me back. Being positive and telling yourself that THIS WILL WORK FOR ME is what will make all the difference in the world. Don't even let the "what if's" creep in, and when they do, replace that thought with one that says I WILL NOT FAIL. You can do this, and you will not be like the people on that show. Workout, log your daily calories and you will be a total success I just know it!

Okay so here's my take on the whole "it's just a tool thing"...while I would agree to some degree I'm not completely sold on that philosophy. I think we are all looking for more than just a tool. We have had plenty of "tools" throughout our weight loss journey like fad diets, pre packaged meals etc...this surgery is more than just a tool. I would have considered myself somewhat of a food addict, maybe a full blown one I'm not completely sure, but this surgery has helped me lose weight in ways I never thought possible. It has not been a struggle, I don't find myself dieting. I count my calories and log them daily, but I eat what I want. Luckily my food desires have changed so that certainly helps. I am just over 7 weeks post op and I have lost over 25 lbs. and I have done that PREGNANT!

Ok, we are all entitled to our own opinion and here's mine. I personally still stand by my belief that this is simply a tool that we can choose to make work for each of us or not. Fad diets and pre packed meals are not tools they are convienent and dont require a true lifestyle change. If you have a gated driveway to keep unsavory characters out it only works if you keep it closed and locked. This surgery only works if you work with it by eating right and exercise. If you leave that gate open or unlock it's like it is not even there, what you don't want to happen probably will. It is not a magical pill or magical solution you have to work it. I dont know about the next sleever but AnewMe@28 has to go to the gym and she makes good choices to keep her "tool" working in the right direction for her.

I would agree that WLS of any kind is a tool to use, but lets face it some tools are better than others. This tool has multiple fuctions in that it allows me to eat less and feel full, not have binges, not really make food a huge part of my life anymore etc.. but you do have to stop and realize that everyone is so different. Personally I think Gastric Bypass (RnY) is not a great tool because it allows bad habits to creep in much easier than with VSG, Plication, or the Duodenal Switch. The permanent restriction on quantity is a key for MY success, and I personally know 3 bypass patients that can eat just like they did before and are gaining wieght again because they have stretched out the stomach and learned to tolerate lots of food dumping into the intestine directly. I know another 2 bypass people who have kept off the weight for years--it really is about picking the best possible tool for you and your needs. No weight loss surgery is 100% successful wich means clearly that there are issues wich these tools do not address--I will challenge anyone who is deciding on WLS to look into your bad habits and then pick the absolute best tool for you and your needs where it be just restriction (VSG,Plication) or malabsorption or both (DS)

The worst tools percentage wise are Lab band and Gastric Bypass. It is just a fact that many of these fail and are far from fool-proof. Lap Band stats seem to get worse and worse with time in even when they don't fail for wieght loss they have failed with erosions, scarring etc. very bad failure rate--however some of the people do great with it--just too bad of odds for my bet. And if I was going to even consider malabsorption DS is the best tool there by far over the Bypass.

I think it is a tool, but as another pointed out, a BETTER tool! I know that it can "fail" if we rely totally on the surgery without doing our part food and exercise wise. How do I know? Because my father had a gastrectomy in the early 60s and gained weight after it. Now in his case, the procedure was done because he had stomach disease, rather than needing to lose weight. He actually worked at stretching his remnant stomach back to "normal" size under his physicians instructions, but it just goes to show that if you don't exercise control, if you continue eating the same amounts, if you graze the whole day, you can circumvent the benefits of your WLS.

I don't think any of us gone through all this, spent all the time and money, dealt with others disapproval and judgment, to intentionally sabotage our weight loss. But I keep my Dad's story as a reminder that It is possible to gain weight even with stomach surgery. The tiny stomach I have, thanks to my doctor, is a TREMENDOUS help, but I still have to do the work.

We're happy to announce the launch of www.SleevePlicationTalk.com ! A new community for pre or post Gastric Sleeve Plication surgery support.