Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice about life 12 days out!

I accidentally put this question in pre-op - d'uh maybe because I am in a tizzy finding out I Might have surgery in two weeks. If I do , I will have 12 days to be ready for working a full day-and would love to know what condition y'all were in around that time.

MY original thread- http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/15836-advice-needed-what-is-life-like-12-days-post-op/

I was off for 3 weeks, but I could easily have gone back after 12 days. It's so different for everyone, though. It also depends on what kind of work you do. I sit at a desk all day, so it was pretty easy for me :-)

I think it probably depends on what you do for a living. I work from home so I went back at one week. I have felt great since starting full liquids and getting some Protein in. I am still pretty wiped out at night though. I would have loved to have been able to have 2 weeks, but probably would have been a little stir crazy this week b/c I feel so good.

This will be one day of work as a wedding photographer. Then I will have eight days before one day of work.

I have had such physical problems for a few years that my husband and son do the bulk of the physical stuff at the weddings and I do things like sit and back up our CF discs, etc. I have a few times I am on my feet shooting, and usually adrenaline (and pain meds) see me through.

I would probably have my surgery around the 18th and the wedding is the 30th, then we have one on the 6th of May and then nothing until May 30th (the recession has not been kind to our business!)

I think it probably depends on what you do for a living. I work from home so I went back at one week. I have felt great since starting full liquids and getting some Protein in. I am still pretty wiped out at night though. I would have loved to have been able to have 2 weeks, but probably would have been a little stir crazy this week b/c I feel so good.

Lanette,

I work from home too and my surgery is on Monday, Apr 11 and I'm going back Monday, Apr 18, but I only have to work for 3 days that week. I'm sooooo hoping I'm in as good a shage as you are!

This will be one day of work as a wedding photographer. Then I will have eight days before one day of work.

I have had such physical problems for a few years that my husband and son do the bulk of the physical stuff at the weddings and I do things like sit and back up our CF discs, etc. I have a few times I am on my feet shooting, and usually adrenaline (and pain meds) see me through.

I would probably have my surgery around the 18th and the wedding is the 30th, then we have one on the 6th of May and then nothing until May 30th (the recession has not been kind to our business!)

Meggiep,

Sounds like, assuming you have no complications, you would probably be okay for that wedding on the 30th, since its only a one day event then you get time off again. Based on what I've read on here, I would say to make sure you are well hydrated going into the wedding and take drinks with you, even Protein drinks so you can nurish during the wedding. But just in case you have a rough time and are one of the ones who can't get enough Fluid or have excess pain, is there a backup you can have standing reading just in case? Might be a good idea. And you should be able to give that backup a heads up on how your doing in the days before.

I'm sure you'll do great! I got up and started walking as soon as they would let me and even did laps around our house when we got home. I really think that helped. I also kicked the pain meds to the curb on day 4 post op b/c I realized they were hurting more than helping. I think they were upsetting my stomach b/c I was still on Clear Liquids. Oh...and I also switched to taking my PPI at night before bed instead of the morning. I don't know what others do, but I was waking up with horrible acid issues b/c it had been 24 hours since taking it AND 8-12 hours since putting anything in my tummy. Made sense to me to take it before bed so that when it was wearing off (late evening) I would be up and could eat, etc. I really think that has helped as well. Good luck to both of you and keep us posted!!

Lanette,

I work from home too and my surgery is on Monday, Apr 11 and I'm going back Monday, Apr 18, but I only have to work for 3 days that week. I'm sooooo hoping I'm in as good a shage as you are!

Sleeved on Monday, flew back Thursday and went back to work Friday - waaaayy too early. I was miserable but had no vacation left. I work in an office but occasionally have to lug PCs around.

I am 12 days out today and feeling good. I could probably go to work, but took 2 weeks off - so I am napping as needed and taking it easy - besides walking. I agree with the previous poster who suggested a back-up just in case, it will all depend on your recovery ? have you had any other surgeries, so you could gauge your recovery? If you do go, you would probably be at the full liquids stage - depending on instructions - and you must stay hydrated!! Jean