Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reasonable weight loss goals, surgery is April 12th.

Hi! This is my first post and I am 1 week away from my surgery date. I see the doc for my preop appt tomorrow. I have so many questions! I want to set some goals for mysel, but I want to be realistic. I am 5'5" and weigh 242lbs. I want to set some short term goals, although my end goal is 130lbs. I hope to reach that by my wedding on March 17th 2012. Is that crazy? What can I expect in a month, 3 months, 6months? I want to be realistic so I feel like I have finally have success with anything weight loss related! Every diet has added to me in the end! This is where I win!

Do you have any conditions that would make you be a slower loser? Your wedding is a year away and it is possible to lose your 100lbs in 6 months heck some have lost in shorter times. But to be reasonable I would say 6 months 10 months to lose your excess weight. That is if you are not a slow loser. If you stick to your surgeons/nuts post wls eating plan then I do not see why you could not reach you goal long before your wedding.

Welcome to the group and keep us posted on your progress.

eek...what condition makes me a slow loser??? Other than the fact I am convinced my metabolism DIED about 10 years ago??? LOL

Do you have any conditions that would make you be a slower loser? Your wedding is a year away and it is possible to lose your 100lbs in 6 months heck some have lost in shorter times. But to be reasonable I would say 6 months 10 months to lose your excess weight. That is if you are not a slow loser. If you stick to your surgeons/nuts post wls eating plan then I do not see why you could not reach you goal long before your wedding.

Welcome to the group and keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you...I appreciate the help. I have not been to any support groups. They were not required and in my infinite stubborn-ness I didn't think I would need them! Now, since they meet once a month...there isn't one until after. UGH. So I'm CLUELESS and a week away from the beginning of my new lease on life! Any and all help and advice is APPRECIATED so much!

eek...what condition makes me a slow loser??? Other than the fact I am convinced my metabolism DIED about 10 years ago??? LOL

PCOS, hypothyroid I can not remember all that have been listed here but these two pop up a lot on the boards.

Depending on how much you have to lose and how closely you follow the doctors plan as well as how willing your body is to relent the weight you can expect a weight loss variance.

I asked my doctor when I had surgery and he said the first month that I would lose a lot and I did about 50 lbs then he said about 10-15 lbs a month, after 6 months I stalled for 7 weeks actually gaining 2 lbs in that time and since then i've lost another 12...

You should set your only goals but I think reasonably you could lose

1st month 17 lbs

Months 2-3 25-30 lbs

Months 4-6 25-30 lbs

Months 6-9 25-30 lbs

You could also stall at any time and you can also blow those goals out of the Water but I know it's important to have mini goals and something to strive for in the short and long term good luck!!!

Great question. I'm so glad you asked it. My surgery is scheduled for April 21. I do have hypothyroidism so now I'm a little concerned about the slow-losing. Yikes. Have to ask my Dr. about that. Good luck to you. You're totally going to hit your goal weight by that wedding.

Hi kids05;

No matter what you weight loss, you will be a beautiful bride. Don't do the surgery to lose weight rather to get healthy...okay and look GREAT. :)

Can you lose 100 lbs in 11 months? Yes would be for most although some on site are slow losers and not by choice. You must follow nutritional guidelines to achieve weight loss goals. I would look at some of Tiff'ykins posts. While following my surgeons guidelines I also was always on guard to get in enough Water, Protein, take all needed suppliments, exercise (with weights too) and dramatically limit carbs to 30 or less a day. Stop gasping this is a lot easier my friends once you have the sleeve - but it does require will power to pass up the pumpkin pie, cake, Cookies, chips. Caloric intake needs to be adjusted as you move along in journey and not always my limiting calories but adding calories. Yep, I have to now add calories to maintain sometimes. What a cross to bear, right? HA HA

I lost 65 lbs in 5 months and 75 by my 6 month sleeve anniversary. Good luck next week and keep us posted on your success.

Im sure You'll be a beautiful bride ... No matter if you meet your goal in a year or not... Most people on here say slow and steady ... Is the way to go because if you lose too quickly it could cause loose skin....

Congrats... And Good Luck!!!!

I know. I met with my surgeon today and he rushed through the appt. Literally with him MAYBE 20 minutes. I am afraid to make him mad by telling him how rushed I was...I don't want to jeopardize my surgery date. I didn't ask him half of my questions, the more important ones seemed rushed and silly with him. Did not help my anxiety at all!

Try to browse the boards for answers to the questions people here may have asked before. It's a shame you didn't ask your surgeon, though, if you have real concerns or questions. Don't go into surgery with unanswered questions, no matter how silly or stupid you might feel for asking them.

I'm 5'1" (and a little change - maybe an extra half inch) and my weight the day of surgery was 242 pounds. I'm now nine days from nine months post op. I'm a slow loser. It doesn't matter what I do to tweak my diet or how much exercise I add...nothing really makes much difference to my slow but steady loss. I've lost almost eighty pounds in those nine months, though. Without surgery, it would have been absolutely impossible. Despite my slower loss, I have gone from a tight 18 pant and XL (sometimes XXL) shirt to a size 8 or 10 in jeans and M tops. Honestly, even though I'm still "overweight" I think that with plastics I'd look awesome, right now - and I'd definitely be a six, maybe even a four with my tummy apron gone. So, numeric goals aren't all they're cracked up to be, and they don't tell the whole story. I look a helluva lot better at age 30 and 164 pounds than I looked at 22 and 164 pounds...for whatever reason my weight is distributed much differently this go round.

There is no way to predict how quickly you'll lose. However, rest assured that if you do your part and try to change your current lifestyle, you WILL lose. Please, don't set a numeric goal as your only measure of success. I lurked on these boards for months before I made an account, and while I visit regularly I hardly ever post. It gets wearying to see post after post after post about how upset people are that they've "only lost 70 pounds in three months." So please, set a goal to be a gorgeous bride, because that's one you will definitely meet. I guarantee you'll be a lot smaller one year from now, how's that? Everyone loses at a different rate, even month to month! Some months I was down 12 pounds...and others, with the same diet and exercise program I'd lose 1-4 pounds.

You are going to do great on surgery day, and I swear you're going to do great on your sleeve journey afterward. You'll be a beautiful, glowing bride - and every pound you lose will only make you feel more beautiful. Aim for your goal, but don't get ridiculously focused on the number. Set a lower number that you'd be happy with as your average monthly goal and go from there.

Best wishes and good luck!

~Cheri

Thank you! I have poked around on these message boards and this was the first time I posted something. I guess I just feel a little lonely in all this. My fiance is SKINNY and very athletic and I just cannot keep up. I hate it. I want to hike, travel....heck even walk...without pain. I have let it get so bad and I think being unhappy is my issue. I mean how can I be a good mom, nurse and soon, a wife if I don't like ME! This is my taking control to like ME! I think I am going to need a support group or counseling afterwards..I eat for MANY reasons. Its just where I am having surgery is newer to the bariatric surgery stuff and they only have one meeting a month and I don't think I can go. (personal reasons or should I say person there that I am having a very difficult time with currently) The affordability of counseling has me winging it and seeking online advice. Am I feeling this way to redirect my fears?? HELP! I might go crazy before tuesday!

Try to browse the boards for answers to the questions people here may have asked before. It's a shame you didn't ask your surgeon, though, if you have real concerns or questions. Don't go into surgery with unanswered questions, no matter how silly or stupid you might feel for asking them.

I'm 5'1" (and a little change - maybe an extra half inch) and my weight the day of surgery was 242 pounds. I'm now nine days from nine months post op. I'm a slow loser. It doesn't matter what I do to tweak my diet or how much exercise I add...nothing really makes much difference to my slow but steady loss. I've lost almost eighty pounds in those nine months, though. Without surgery, it would have been absolutely impossible. Despite my slower loss, I have gone from a tight 18 pant and XL (sometimes XXL) shirt to a size 8 or 10 in jeans and M tops. Honestly, even though I'm still "overweight" I think that with plastics I'd look awesome, right now - and I'd definitely be a six, maybe even a four with my tummy apron gone. So, numeric goals aren't all they're cracked up to be, and they don't tell the whole story. I look a helluva lot better at age 30 and 164 pounds than I looked at 22 and 164 pounds...for whatever reason my weight is distributed much differently this go round.

There is no way to predict how quickly you'll lose. However, rest assured that if you do your part and try to change your current lifestyle, you WILL lose. Please, don't set a numeric goal as your only measure of success. I lurked on these boards for months before I made an account, and while I visit regularly I hardly ever post. It gets wearying to see post after post after post about how upset people are that they've "only lost 70 pounds in three months." So please, set a goal to be a gorgeous bride, because that's one you will definitely meet. I guarantee you'll be a lot smaller one year from now, how's that? Everyone loses at a different rate, even month to month! Some months I was down 12 pounds...and others, with the same diet and exercise program I'd lose 1-4 pounds.

You are going to do great on surgery day, and I swear you're going to do great on your sleeve journey afterward. You'll be a beautiful, glowing bride - and every pound you lose will only make you feel more beautiful. Aim for your goal, but don't get ridiculously focused on the number. Set a lower number that you'd be happy with as your average monthly goal and go from there.

Best wishes and good luck!

~Cheri