Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone tried Slim Fast Low Carb Shakes

Hello Everyone, I have been looking for a ready to drink protiein shake that I can have for lunch and may be sometimes for Breakfast on the weekends. I have tried Muscle Milk, Muscle Milk Light, EAS, Premier Protein, Synthia-6 and Atkins ready to drink protien shakes. I dont like any of them so I just happened come across an add for these Slim Fast Low Carb drinks which come in chcololate and vanilla flavors. When I was doing my 2 week pre-op diet, I was allowed the Slim Fast Optima drinks and I really enjoyed the taste but they have way too many carbs for post-op. I have not found them anywhere is the stores in Bakersfield, CA so I will have to order them online in bulk; you get 6 boxes of 6 cans for about $40. I dont want to waste $40 if they taste horrible. The nutritional value is listed below and I think that it will fit into my diet perfectly. Please all comments and opinions welcome.

Calories: 190

Calories from Fat: 80

Saturated Fat: 1.5g

Trans Fat: 0g

Cholesterol: 15mg

Sodium: 260mg

Potassium: 550mg

Total Carbohydrate: 6g

Dietary Fiber: 4g

Sugars: 1g

Protein: 20g

Thank you in advance for all of you input.

Jen

I have tried them and they are ok- its an aquired test- but all Protein Shakes are! Cost wise- great! Plus - I drank 3-4 a day a year or two ago and lost 30 lbs in one month on them! lol

I think the nutrition info looks pretty good on those! I've also been looking for a good RTD shake. I think it'd be nice to have on hand but I think all of the RTD stuff is horrible. I think they would be worth a try. But you are right, $40 is a lot on a risk. I'd try to find some locally, or buy online in a smaller quantity if you could. I might look for them myself though to try them out. You figure a Protein Powder is going to be around 120 calories, 24g of Protein and about 4 carbs (mine is anyway). But when you add that to a cup of milk you add on another 12g of carbs. I just hate blowing that many carbs in one go personally. Thanks for posting, i'll look for them locally and report back with what I find out!

It doesn't look like they carry them locally for me either. But you can order them online from walmart.com and just buy one pack to see how they taste. Might be worth a shot!

Here's the link

My link

Actually yes I have tried the Slim Fast Low Carb shakes. They are really good, thick and tasty. I like them. I don't think it would hurt to give them a try - but try the chocolate first and if you can only buy one six pack. Everyone's tastes are different and you don't want to be stuck with a bunch if you don't like them.

Thanks for the input Irene. The reviews looked pretty good so I went ahead and ordered a 4 pack from Walmart for $7. I'll try them out as soon as they arrive!

Thank you so much, I didn't know that you could order an individual box from Walmart online. I am going to order them right now. I will post my review at I get the shipment.

Jen

I found some at the 99cent store but have not tried them yet....

I received my shippment of Slim Fast Low Carb Drink and I did not like it. Thank God I only spent $15 on the order, they won't go to waste cause my husband will be taking them to work. My review is don't waste your money on these drinks.< /p>

Ibejjo, did you try the chocolate or the vanilla? Walmart.com only carried the chocolate so that is what I bought. I'm curious to know how the vanilla is, but Walmart doesn't have it.

I have been drinking these for my 2-week pre-op diet. It took about three days before I got used to them, but now I actually look forward to my Slimfast. I looked at the Slimfast High Protein but they had a ridiculous amount of carbs in them. The Low Carb actually has MORE Protein than the High Protein version.

I haven't tried the vanilla. I get mine at Sam's in the 15-pack.

I looked at the Slimfast High Protein but they had a ridiculous amount of carbs in them. The Low Carb actually has MORE Protein than the High Protein version.

That is true! Why it's always good to read the Nutrition Facts and compare.

I received my shippment of Slim Fast Low Carb Drink and I did not like it. Thank God I only spent $15 on the order, they won't go to waste cause my husband will be taking them to work. My review is don't waste your money on these drinks.

I've never tried the Low carb Slimfast, but back in the day, I used to drink the regular Slim Fast and I would always get the french vanilla and I started adding flavorings to them. Like banana, coconut (yummy pina colada taste), pineapple, even orange for a dreamsicle type taste. They weren't great but they were pretty good. It gives you a broader choice instead of the same old chocolate, vanilla and strawberry choices.

I've never tried the Low carb Slimfast, but back in the day, I used to drink the regular Slim Fast and I would always get the french vanilla and I started adding flavorings to them. Like banana, coconut (yummy pina colada taste), pineapple, even orange for a dreamsicle type taste. They weren't great but they were pretty good. It gives you a broader choice instead of the same old chocolate, vanilla and strawberry choices.

I agree - sometimes you need to add to the shakes to give them a flavor boost. I have added SF dry pudding mix or Crystal Light to change up the taste. I personally enjoy Slim Fast and Atkins shakes. I have used the shakes on and off for years to lose weight. Actually, the Atkins ones are so tasty I drink the Cafe Latte for Breakfast and I am not even on a pre op diet :) I got my shipment of Syntrex Protein Nectars - the variety sample pack - and some of the flavors are wild!!! I just hope they taste as good as they sound.

One thing I have noticed is that every person has very different taste. I seem to like more of the Protein drinks than other people. But I have always been big into SF products so the after-taste doesn't even register anymore. This may or may not change post op :eek: Best to buy sample size and do a test run than to sink tons of money into drinks you may or may not like.

I bet if you took a poll on who likes this brand Protein Drink vs that brand.. it would be split evenly.