Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This pre-op roller coaster ride is the most unfair ride to be on. I started in Oct 29, 2010 by going to my first appt with WLS doctor. I was given a list of pre-op test to be done before I can call for my second appt with WLS doctor. For me I was requested to see the following:

1) LABS (Blood test/Urine) done 10/29/10 Cleared 2) Nutritional Consultation done 10/29/10 Cleared

3) Psychological assessment done 3/4/11 Cleared 4) Support Groups (2) 1st 2/1/11

5) Ultrasound done 1/15/11 Cleared 6) 6 month diet letter/PCP Letter Cleared

7) Cardiology done 1/26/11 Cleared 8) Neurology done 2/15/11 Cleared

9) Pulmonary done 3/28/11

So the first time I found out that I was not full informed about what was going on was in Dec 2010. I thought that I need to do 6 month diet I put off calling to schedule my appts. When I call the nutritionist to schedule another appt I was told I did not need the 6 month diet because my insurance did not require the wait. I was so mad that I was not clearly told this. So I started to get on the phone and make as many appts as I could. While waiting for my appts I kept going to my doctor to take car of my health like the diabetes, high blood pressure, Neuropathy in my feet, thyroids and anything else that was becoming worse as the days and wait went by. I started at 228 pound and now I am 240 pound and doing diabetic weight watcher diet with no cheating I have gained weight in stead of losing it. I was also put on an insulin pump to control my sugars better and I now take more medicine.

So when I think things can’t get worse it does. I went to see the pulmonary doctor she told me that I need to do test before she could clear me for my WLS. She started to tell me that it may take 3 month before I could call the doctor for my second appt. I was holding back the tears. I was told to understand that it was for my own good. My own good, I thought that when I made the choice to have this surgery done that I was thinking about my own good! I guess she saw my face and suggest that she will put me her cancel list and call me to fill that spot. I went along with that but confused why I need a sleep study done. I never complained about any sleep problems.

I have always sleep with my mouth open and snored because of it. Was never told I had a problem with stopping breathing at night. So when I went for the test I thought I was going to sleep like I do at home but that was not the issue they hook u up to a lot of things and tell you to sleep on you back. Well that was problem one because I sleep on my side. The bed was uncomfortable for me too. So I really could not sleep. When I finally went to sleep the tech came in and woke me up and put a machine that blows air in you noise and while this is on you can’t really open your mouth because the air hit the back of your throat which I found painful. They said this is because I snore and at times it is loud. Well I have always snored because I have always breathed through my mouth not my noise. Finally I am sad again that I now need to sleep with a machine.

Crying because I am scared to go to the doctors, what else are they going to find wrong with me. Thinking about calling it quits.

I understand you feel like it may never end, however be grateful you have these doctors who want the best for you. Unresolved breathing issues could cause you to stay on a ventilator after surgery.

Finish mourning this set back and then try to turn your thinking around, rather than feeling like victim when you go to the doctor think of it as you are taking charge of your health and not matter what they may or may not find with your tests, knowelge lets you empower yourself take charge of the situation and do what is best for your body!

Just think of all this as hoops you have to jump through to get to the prize of surgery! Once the weight starts coming off you sugars will be more controlled and you will probably loose the cpap all together!

After climbing the hill there is one direction on the other side!

I also understand. I had to do the sleep study and was diagnosed with a mild case of sleep apnea. I had to be 2 week compliant on my machine before the doctor scheduled surgery. I also had to take my machine to the hospital the night of surgery. After one month after surgery, I returned the machine. I had already stopped snoring. So just do what you have to do to get the surgery, it will be worth it. Don't give up!

Thanks for your replies but it is hard to live your whole life doing something and to be told that that is a problem. Why didn't my mother correct it? and it is mild and it is not that first time i have surgery it has never been the issue. But i don't have the machine yet because I don't see the doctor again till July. Had the test on Friday and now I have a sore throat. Still hate this but i will do it anyway if it gets me closer to my date. I have changed everything else. I eat with a baby spoon, cut my food to the size of a eraser top, sip all my drinks, and don't drink when i eat so mentally I am ready

If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea....DO NOT BLOW IT OFF. That is serious. There is a reason you snore and its not just because you sleep with your mouth open. You can easily stop breathing in your sleep and not have any idea you are doing it. You just wake up not feeling refreshed. My wife had it and never had a clue that she was doing that in her sleep.

The reason the surgeon may require treatment before surgery is that sleep apnea can present problems for anesthesia and make it riskier to give you anesthesia and pain meds. I know it sucks but they are making you jump through these hoops for a reason.

Thanks for your replies but it is hard to live your whole life doing something and to be told that that is a problem. Why didn't my mother correct it? and it is mild and it is not that first time i have surgery it has never been the issue. But i don't have the machine yet because I don't see the doctor again till July. Had the test on Friday and now I have a sore throat. Still hate this but i will do it anyway if it gets me closer to my date. I have changed everything else. I eat with a baby spoon, cut my food to the size of a eraser top, sip all my drinks, and don't drink when i eat so mentally I am ready

I totally sympathize about the pre-op nightmare- it seemed that every test found something that had to be investigated further and deayed me more. I had to really fight for some things- for example my colonoscopy doctor decided that because I use a fentany patch for pain I would not be susceptible to fentanyl twilight sleep and therefore I needed to have a general anesthetic , and that was going to delay my March 24th appointment to June, and therefore would delay my surgery. I knew he was wrong as I use the smallest dose possible, and when I was upped to the next highest dose it knocked me out so I cut back again. I had to make a appointment and plead my case- and he agreed and I had the procedure this past week. This i one example of the roadblocks that have come up and that I have had to push against to get to my goal.

I do want to talk to you about the CPAP machine though . I too had a sleep evaluation same kind you had with the machine in the middle of the night. I would have SWORN I did not have apnea. WRONG! I do- mild to moderate. My doctor requires that you use the machine for at least two weeks before surgery, with at least 4 hours a night. Please make sure whether your doctor has requirements once you are dxed as I would hate to see you be delayed again.

The thing is, sure as I was it was not a factor in my life- I actually have noticed a total difference now that I am using the machine! I usually am so tired when I wake up that it takes me a long time to wake up- and I find I am much more alert in the morning now. I also feel more energy! SO don't be sure it will not help you. My husband watched me sleeping and was also sure I did not have it. Apnea can affect many health conditions as well as metabolism!

Also- call every day to remind them you are on the waiting list. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the appointment. I got my psych eval moved up by calling all the time.

Good luck!

I totally sympathize about the pre-op nightmare- it seemed that every test found something that had to be investigated further and deayed me more. I had to really fight for some things- for example my colonoscopy doctor decided that because I use a fentany patch for pain I would not be susceptible to fentanyl twilight sleep and therefore I needed to have a general anesthetic , and that was going to delay my March 24th appointment to June, and therefore would delay my surgery. I knew he was wrong as I use the smallest dose possible, and when I was upped to the next highest dose it knocked me out so I cut back again. I had to make a appointment and plead my case- and he agreed and I had the procedure this past week. This i one example of the roadblocks that have come up and that I have had to push against to get to my goal.

I do want to talk to you about the CPAP machine though . I too had a sleep evaluation same kind you had with the machine in the middle of the night. I would have SWORN I did not have apnea. WRONG! I do- mild to moderate. My doctor requires that you use the machine for at least two weeks before surgery, with at least 4 hours a night. Please make sure whether your doctor has requirements once you are dxed as I would hate to see you be delayed again.

The thing is, sure as I was it was not a factor in my life- I actually have noticed a total difference now that I am using the machine! I usually am so tired when I wake up that it takes me a long time to wake up- and I find I am much more alert in the morning now. I also feel more energy! SO don't be sure it will not help you. My husband watched me sleeping and was also sure I did not have it. Apnea can affect many health conditions as well as metabolism!

Also- call every day to remind them you are on the waiting list. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the appointment. I got my psych eval moved up by calling all the time.

Good luck!

Thank you I am soaking in what everyone is telling me but I am confused due to the fact that I am never tired in the morning and always wake up at 4 am and I am bright and alert. Can't take a nap during the day no matter how hard I try. go to sleep at 12 am and fall a sleep right away don't wait up during my sleep. If the tech say I have mild sleep apnea what can I do just do what they say for me to do until I get my surgery date. My brother has sleep apnea and it went from mild to serve as he gain weight. So I now how important this is.

Have another test (breathing) on the 11th of april I will try too get an earlier appt after the test.

Disappointed that I have to suffer in pain a little longer. Every time I think I make to the top something always kicks me back down.

I feel for you. I just had a sleep study Friday as well but don't have the results yet.

But seriously, is there ANYone here that has had a sleep study and NOT been told they have apnea? I haven't seen anyone say that their test was negative. I'm wondering if it's just a racket to soak the insurance companies for the cpap machines! (I'm only slightly joking).

I feel for you. I just had a sleep study Friday as well but don't have the results yet.

But seriously, is there ANYone here that has had a sleep study and NOT been told they have apnea? I haven't seen anyone say that their test was negative. I'm wondering if it's just a racket to soak the insurance companies for the cpap machines! (I'm only slightly joking).

I actually was thinking the same thing! Then tonight at Water aerobics thr woman in my class who is also progressing towards the sleeve told me she had the study and does not have apnea!

For the OP- often thy will do another study after you lose the weight and you will no longer need the machine.

I went yesterday to the ENT doctor because the sore throat was not improving. And now I am more confused. I explained how I got the sore throat and he told me why did i try the cpap treatment? I said the tech found I have a slight breathing problem and felt i need the machine. He has been my doctor since 2003 when he operated on me. He told me did you tell him that you breath through your mouth and your nostril holes are very small which cause you to breath through your mouth. He wants me to repeat the test at another place and get a second opinion. He feels it was not up to the tech to make that call and there should have been doctor there. Well schedule for another sleep test next friday. He gave me some meds for my throat.

Getting older and being heavy does not work so many health problems.

Keep it coming I am ready I will have sleeve done even if it happens next year. I will not stop

I did a sleep study and they found I don't have sleep apnea but I do have a very mild case of restrictive airway syndrome. They gave me a machine anyway and want me to use it before surgery. I do when I can. I also have horrible hay fever so if my nose is stuffy, it doesn't get used.

Good luck with your journey. No one ever said it was easy and it will make you stronger.

Take care!

I did a sleep study and they found I don't have sleep apnea but I do have a very mild case of restrictive airway syndrome. They gave me a machine anyway and want me to use it before surgery. I do when I can. I also have horrible hay fever so if my nose is stuffy, it doesn't get used.

Good luck with your journey. No one ever said it was easy and it will make you stronger.

Take care!

Thank u good to hear that someone does not have apnea, but hay fever and strong allergies is a problem. But I know it was not going to be easy I will use the machine so that I can complete my journey. I feel better after going to the support group for pre-op at Montifore Hospital and hearing from online support group. :)

It's good to hear that there are those who get tested and don't have it. I still haven't heard from mine so keeping my fingers crossed! Hang in there Lilu! We'll make it yet!

It's good to hear that there are those who get tested and don't have it. I still haven't heard from mine so keeping my fingers crossed! Hang in there Lilu! We'll make it yet!

you are so right. yes we will make it. The wait is going to be worth it