Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study -- check

I had the sleep study last night that is required as part of my surgeon's preop protocol. I can't believe how tired a sleep test made me. Not sure if I passed or failed because I was wiped out today. I never imagined "sleeping" could make me so tired!:blink:

Last night just before the test began I had my final weewee break and when I looked at myself in the mirror, I had to laugh because I looked like I had been abducted by aliens and the "probing" was about to begin.

The tech came in around 2 am and had to put the mask on me for the remainder of the test. It's kind of funny that I was more annoyed by the finger clip for the oxygen levels than the mask and all the wires.

I slept most of today and am only starting to feel like my abbienormal self.

I'm hoping that I don't have to have a CPAP machine and, knowing myself, don't think I would be fully compliant if I was told I need one.

Anyone have any insights on the CPAP apnea issue they'd care to share? I'm hoping that being sleeved shortly will mitigate the need to go down the CPAP path ever...

I have been sleeping with a CPAP machine for about 4 years now. At first I didn't want anything to do with it, but now it is habit and if I want any kind of restful sleep I wear it. Without the CPAP machine I am always exhausted.

I thought I would have a hard time with it because I use the full nose mask, it's triangle in shape and I am a stomach sleeper but I have managed to work with it just fine. I don't think I could sleep with the ones that just plug your nostrils.

I hope that once I start losing weight that I will eventually be able to get rid of it. My insurance covered the machine and I get supplies all covered by insurance every 6 months.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I was totally shocked when my sleep study ended with a dx of apnea. I got my machine last Friday and to my shock I actually found there was a difference almost immediately in the quality of rest I got. Often it takes me a while to wake up in the morning and after using the machine I was much more alert in the morning. My brother (tall and skinny dang him!) has apnea and told me the machine will change my life and health so I will definitely use it regularly. In fact if dxed with apnea one requirement for the sleeve is using it for at least two weeks before the surgery, and also having it with you for surgery.

I have been sleeping with a CPAP machine for about 4 years now. At first I didn't want anything to do with it, but now it is habit and if I want any kind of restful sleep I wear it. Without the CPAP machine I am always exhausted.

I thought I would have a hard time with it because I use the full nose mask, it's triangle in shape and I am a stomach sleeper but I have managed to work with it just fine. I don't think I could sleep with the ones that just plug your nostrils.

I hope that once I start losing weight that I will eventually be able to get rid of it. My insurance covered the machine and I get supplies all covered by insurance every 6 months.

Let me know if you have any questions.

BTW I have the full mask too, and I sleep on my side. The only problem I have is it seems fitted perfectly when I go to sleep but sometimes slips to allow air to come up the side. I just have to tweak it a bit I think. My insurance paid 50% and the $350 was OUCH- but I got a fancy sleek metal machine with all kinds of bells and whistles. My supplies are covered.

i have had my cpap since late january and i sleep better w/o it than with it. i've tried every type of mask, nasal pillow etc. nothing helps. takes me 15 minutes to fall asleep with it. I am not a back sleeper at all, more tummy and side, but the mask always ends up being repositioned as i sleep, so it's pointless. and at times i end up taking it off in my sleep. so i only sleep with it around 3 hours.

the sleep doc said i should wear it about 20 mins before going to bed (while reading, watching tv, etc.) so i get use to it; been doing it about 2 weeks and it still doesn't help. ironically though via the machine card, i sleep perfectly normal with it. I'm no longer tired throughout the day thought but that's because i'm exercising.

doc said as i lose more weight, there's a big possibility i won't need the machine, so i have a 6 month check up in sept. cpap is quite annoying to me though

hopefully you don't find it as irritating as some, because overall it does help!!. good luck

I have a CPAP (Actually a BiPAP as I need two different pressures as I sleep). I got mine in August 2010, long before I thought about VSG. I had the sleep test done in 08 and was told I didn't have sleep apnea but disruptive snoring. The dental device was going to cost me about $500. That was $500 I didn't have. When I went back in '10, I had gained about 50 pounds thanks to my mental meds. My sleep doctor said he has NEVER seen such a severe difference between two sleep studys. I have the ResMed Nasal Pillows. I am a stomach/side sleeper. It did take several weeks to get used to the mask, but waking up rested really helped.

No matter how bad it seems.... the alternative is much worse! There was an auditor that worked with our company that died in his sleep due to undiagnosed apnea. I wear mine every night and for every nap! I'll take the annoyance to wake up!

I had to do the sleep study because the doctor required it. I ended up doing 2 nights as the first it was a mild case so they did not put on the mask so I had to do another test night with the mask. Of course each test cost $1500. My doctor required 2 week compliance which meant a min of 4 hrs a night with at least 70% compliance. I got my cpap in November. I had surgery Dec 1st and returned my machine by the end of December. I had already stopped snoring with the lost of 20 lbs. My husband's also had a sleep study and I think everyone is diagnosed with sleep apnea so they can charge insurance the machine and supplies. He had his surgery on Wednesday and we returned his machine today. Neither of our cases were severe or life threatening that we really needed a machine. Good Luck and know that unless you have other medical issues most likely you can discontinue at some point when you have lost enough weight.

I was told during the first night of my study that if they saw sinificant Apnea they would wake me up and put the mask on me...turns out they didnt wake me up that night, but when I went for my second study with the mask, they said I had significant Apnea...:blink:

Please be don't be surprised if they call you back for a second night. I did not hardly sleep at all the first test, and I made the mistake of doing it in the middle of the week. For the second test, I went on a Friday, slept better, but still came home and slept some more. I was diagnosed with 'Severe Sleep Apnea' (and so has every person I know who has been tested'. My insurance aid $1200 for a super special CPAP machine, after 2 weeks of trying to sleep with it, it is just sitting in it's case until my surgery date.

Please be don't be surprised if they call you back for a second night. I did not hardly sleep at all the first test, and I made the mistake of doing it in the middle of the week. For the second test, I went on a Friday, slept better, but still came home and slept some more. I was diagnosed with 'Severe sleep Apnea' (and so has every person I know who has been tested'. My insurance aid $1200 for a super special CPAP machine, after 2 weeks of trying to sleep with it, it is just sitting in it's case until my surgery date.

Is your super special machine sleek and metal? I have that one.

SInce we all support one another I feel like I should tell you that If you do have severe apnea ( I was diagnosed with mild end of moderate apnea) it is actually possible to die in your sleep. In addition it can contribute to many health issues (diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol), as well as slow your metabolism. The woman who fitted me said that 50% of the people dxed with severe apnea who do not comply with CPAP use die of an apnea related incident, from falling asleep behind the wheel to an apnea caused health condition to sleep asphyxia. Please be careful! For one thing- suppose it speeds you metabolism- you will lose more weight after the sleeve ;-P Not wanting to nag, just wanting you to know.

Also, if your doctor does require use of your machine, the fancy ones have a CF card the tells your use and all the phases of sleep you enter, etc. So just saying you did it wont work!

I had my sleep study Friday and don't know the results yet. The tech told me that a cpap machine would speed recovery from surgery because it allows more oxygen in while you're sleeping. So if they tell me I need it I suppose I'll give it my best try. But I really really hope i don't!

Thanks maggiep, yes mine is all sleek and silver with a humidifier. I came straight out and told them, 'I can't sleep with it, and it is what it is.' My primary care dr did not really care. The sleep apnea people seemed unconcerned, they got paid already. I will try again on the weekends, but I can't be a zombie at work anymore :)

Thank you all for your insight and the information. I know that while I might not be compliant if it was just a "good idea" to have one, I'll be toeing every line drawn when it comes to the surgical requirements. If my Doc says I have to do it before and after I will. However, I will ditch the sucker at the first opportunity once the pounds start dropping. (with Doc's approval of course.) My brother has a CPAP so I shouldn't be surprised by any of this....

I can't begin to express how much I love this site and how wonderful it is to have found such a caring, compassionate and generous group. I'm better informed and more confident because of what I've learned from all of you.

Many, many, many thanks!!:P