Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A scary post-fill event

This evening I had a very scary thing happen to me, and I'm wondering whether other bandsters have ever experienced anything remotely like this.

I was banded just under two months ago and had my second fill four days ago. For the first two days I consumed only Protein shakes, followed by a day of mushies. Today, the fourth day, I had hot Cereal for Breakfast with milk and yogurt. In the afternoon I ate a slice of watermelon. Then for supper I was planning to eat a small piece of fish, mashed yam and steamed broccoli. I tasted the yam, ate one spear of broccoli, then a forkful of fish. It all happened VERY fast. Suddenly I felt restriction -- something I had never felt before. Almost immediately I felt superhot and dizzy. The room began to spin, I put my head down on the table, and at that point I lost consciousness. My daughter says I lost all color, my face turned grey, and I slid off my chair onto the floor; my eyes rolled back in my head, I was gasping for air and wheezing, then not breathing at all (or so she thinks). 911 was called, and paramedics arrived within 5-7 minutes. But by that time I had regained consciousness, and I recovered very quickly -- the entire episode lasted only a few minutes -- no residual pain, normal blood pressure.

It being a Sunday night, I have only been able to speak to the on-call doctor at my medical practice, someone I do not know. He could not explain what happened to me and at first suggested that it had nothing at all to do with the band! I don't believe that for a moment, and I will talk to my own doctor tomorrow. It was NOT A GOOD THING to pass out. I have never in my life fainted. What if I had been alone? Very scary.

Before you were banded or now did you have diabetes or anytime of glycemic problems??? It may have been that your blood sugar was too low. But most of your symptoms sound like you had a seizure. This may have been caused by the little that you ate for lunch, a watermelon probably didnt help very much. (Im not scolding, believe me I've made my share of mistakes.) Or it could be that he did in fact do something wrong during your fill, and now you cant tolerate foods, though the covering MD would never admit to that one. Another thing is the broccoli may have gotten stuck and you could have w/out realizing choked on it by getting it stuck in your windpipe and it could have caused what happened. Im not a MD, only an MA but I've heard of and seen some of these things happen before.

Hope you find our answers, and everything is ok.

Oh my gosh, how scary! I'm glad that you recovered fast and that your pressure was normal. I wonder what it was? Keep us posted.

Thanks for responding, lighter. Yes, I have Type 2 diabetes. But the medics tested my blood sugar, and it was not low. In fact it was somewhat elevated, reflecting the distress I had just experienced. One of the great things about lap-band surgery is that I am now completely off diabetes meds and maintaining normal blood sugar levels.

This is such a mystery to me. I was prepared for some of the problems associated with restriction, but not losing consciousness! I sure hope my doctor will be able to explain what happened to me, because this is seriously creeping me out.

I have not experienced anything like that, but I have heard of & from others who have experienced lightheadedness and loss of consciousness from "restriction". What did the paramedics say? Perhaps you can call your surgeon or PCP? There should be a bare minimum of an on call system available to you.

Here's what I think happened - only my opinion but.....

I think what happened to you is called a vaso-vagal episode. This can happen when your vagus nerve is stimulated and causes your blood pressure to drop quickly.

How was this nerve stimulated? I'm going to guess that with your higher level of restriction maybe the food bolus (dry clump of fish) put pressure on this nerve on the way down causing your b/p to drop and the color to leave your face. Fainting is the end result.

How to avoid this in the future? I'm not banded yet so I won't give you lots of advice but I'm thinking smaller bites might help and allowing plenty of time between bites.

Be sure to call your doctor and let us know what he/she says. Good luck and take it easy until then!

Andy Liz

Thanks, everyone, for your immediate support. You were as quick as the paramedics!

I will call my surgeon tomorrow and report back. As for now, I'm off to bed and hopefully some sweet dreams.

So What did the Dr. say???

I had a few dizzy spells after my 2nd fill but thought it was due to finally having restriction and my body not being used to not being overfed.. just my body crying for its food it had gotten to love so much!! lol

It only happened a few times and I never actually fainted but I did get dizzy...

Let us know what the dr said!!

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow (Tuesday). He thinks I may have too much restriction. But I ate the same food this evening with no problem, so I'm not so sure. Perhaps it was my carelessness in the way I ate. Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow after my appointment.

Here's what I think happened - only my opinion but.....

I think what happened to you is called a vaso-vagal episode. This can happen when your vagus nerve is stimulated and causes your blood pressure to drop quickly.

How was this nerve stimulated? I'm going to guess that with your higher level of restriction maybe the food bolus (dry clump of fish) put pressure on this nerve on the way down causing your b/p to drop and the color to leave your face. Fainting is the end result.

How to avoid this in the future? I'm not banded yet so I won't give you lots of advice but I'm thinking smaller bites might help and allowing plenty of time between bites.

Be sure to call your doctor and let us know what he/she says. Good luck and take it easy until then!

Andy Liz

Andy, you were dead on with this diagnosis! At least that's what the doctor confirmed at today's appointment. He had me drink a cup of Water and observed that I did not have a restriction problem. But he was not able to determine the cause of the vasovagal (fainting) episode that I experienced on Sunday. However, he did give me exactly the same advice: Take smaller bites and allow plenty of time between bites.

I'm now exploring the google results for vasovagal to learn more, but what I'm reading is so much mumbojumbo to me. Sympathetic/Parasympathetic nervous systems, yadda yadda.

Didn't read all before I posted. I'm very happy we know what it is now Blue. Thank god it's nothing that can't be fixed.

So glad all looks ok blue hill! Here's to smaller bites being the answer, it can't get much easier than that. :) Just to be safe are you checking your blood sugar levels? Take care!