Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm just ending my 3rd week post op and I've noticed this past week that I have had horrible hunger pangs throughout most of the day. If I eat something, the symptoms usually, but not always, go away. I've been trying not to drink for at least 30 minutes after I eat, but it just seems like the pangs come back really soon, like within a couple of hours. Some of the previous posts have implied that it might actually be stomach acid pains instead, but I've tried both Tums and Pepcid and neither have really helped much. I'm really worried these hunger sensations are going to continue because they come on suddenly and I have to eat something NOW and I'm finding that I'm eating a lot more throughout the day because of them. I've only lost 1 lb this week and think that might be why, also. Anybody else experience this?

It may be excessive stomach acid, do you take a PPI like Prilosec? Beware taking Calcium carbonate (Tums) as it can lead to kidney stones. Try a few saltine crackers to see if they reduce your acid enough, they won't spoil your diet too much.

yes, yes, yes, yes,,,,,, I had that problem BIG time, and have not really heard much about others dealing with that. It was very frustrating, I even had to go to bed with some applesauce next to the bed because the stomach hunger pangs would wake me up. I would eat something, and be hungry, very very hungry in about two hours. This went on for about the first 6 weeks. I don't have that problem as much anymore, but I can eat a lot more. I tried everything, even a prescription from the doc, but nothing other than eating helped me. So, I wish i could tell you how to make it better, I can't, but I can tell you that you are certainly not along! Anyone else have this problem?

Maybe it's not HUNGER pangs as much as stomach spasms? I don't know how you'd tell the difference, but are you actually feeling hungry, or are you just feeling your stomach clenching?

It may be hunger or it may not be. But it would probably be good to take a close evaluation of the sensations to tell for certain. Do you feel like you HAVE to eat, or do you eat because it helps the symptoms?

It may be excessive stomach acid, do you take a PPI like Prilosec? Beware taking Calcium carbonate (Tums) as it can lead to kidney stones. Try a few saltine crackers to see if they reduce your acid enough, they won't spoil your diet too much.

Rootman,

Thanks for the info about the Tums! I'll watch my intake of those. Also, I'll try switching to Prilosec as Pepcid is NOT a PPI and maybe that might make the difference. Haven't tried the crackers, yet, but that's a good idea, too.

yes, yes, yes, yes,,,,,, I had that problem BIG time, and have not really heard much about others dealing with that. It was very frustrating, I even had to go to bed with some applesauce next to the bed because the stomach hunger pangs would wake me up. I would eat something, and be hungry, very very hungry in about two hours. This went on for about the first 6 weeks. I don't have that problem as much anymore, but I can eat a lot more. I tried everything, even a prescription from the doc, but nothing other than eating helped me. So, I wish i could tell you how to make it better, I can't, but I can tell you that you are certainly not along! Anyone else have this problem?

Karen,

Thanks so much for posting! It did actually make me feel better to know that I'm not alone in this regarding these weird symptoms. Sorry to hear a prescription didn't even help, but glad it's at least somewhat better for you. I'll still try a PPI as I haven't tried that, yet. It's really frustrating and it sounds like you can totally relate! :)

Maybe it's not HUNGER pangs as much as stomach spasms? I don't know how you'd tell the difference, but are you actually feeling hungry, or are you just feeling your stomach clenching?

It may be hunger or it may not be. But it would probably be good to take a close evaluation of the sensations to tell for certain. Do you feel like you HAVE to eat, or do you eat because it helps the symptoms?

Hi Dawn,

That is a good point that you bring up about not being exactly sure what the sensations are or mean. I know it was hard the first couple of weeks to figure out what each "pain" was. So, no, I'm not totally sure it's hunger pangs, but I do know it feels like the way I felt before the surgery when I went a LONG time without eating (didn't happen often) and I would get so hungry I would feel sick. Only it's much worse. However, I don't get shaky or headachy like my blood sugar is low, but it feels like I HAVE to eat right now! And I have noticed that the symptoms don't always go away when I eat, but most of the time they do.

Thanks for your input.

Hi!

I have been on a PPI since the day of surgery. With PPIs you need to take them daily to be the most effective so if you aren't taking one daily, you should see if you can get a prescription. Also make sure you take it on an empty stomach. I have noticed that my stomach is very noisy and active as compared to before surgery. I haven't really had any hunger pangs yet (6 weeks out) but I do feel empty and cranky if I don't eat. I also eat about every 2-3 hours and eat something high in Protein (lf string cheese w/ a piece of turkey) about 20 minutes before bed. This seems to help settle everything. Hopefully this will be resolved for you!

Here's some info:

patients take their PPI on an EMPTY stomach...30 to 60 minutes BEFORE meals.

that it can take up to 3 or 4 days of daily medication before they'll have full benefit.

more info here:

http://www.stopheartburn.com/channels/treatment/when-should-i-take-my-heartburn-medication

Hi!

I have been on a PPI since the day of surgery. With PPIs you need to take them daily to be the most effective so if you aren't taking one daily, you should see if you can get a prescription. Also make sure you take it on an empty stomach. I have noticed that my stomach is very noisy and active as compared to before surgery. I haven't really had any hunger pangs yet (6 weeks out) but I do feel empty and cranky if I don't eat. I also eat about every 2-3 hours and eat something high in Protein (lf string cheese w/ a piece of turkey) about 20 minutes before bed. This seems to help settle everything. Hopefully this will be resolved for you!

Here's some info:

patients take their PPI on an EMPTY stomach...30 to 60 minutes BEFORE meals.

that it can take up to 3 or 4 days of daily medication before they'll have full benefit.

more info here:

http://www.stopheart...burn-medication

Thanks for the link and the info! I just bought some Prilosec, so I'll see how it works for me. I sure hope it works as these sensations are driving me crazy!

The same thing happened to me, it was more intense for a few weeks after the surgery and has lessened now. I took the Prilosec and it helped quite a bit and I always had to have a little bit of Protein (two bites of cottage cheese, some string cheese) before bed so I could sleep. Protein takes longer to digest so it stays in your stomach longer keeping the hunger pangs at bay for the night usually. Genepha is right, you have to take the prilosec consistently for it to work. It took two to three days for it really to take effect. I am about seven weeks out and I no longer need to take it.

chewable Gaviscon is allowed (over Tums). It helps me... (the PPIs did not help me) .

Good Luck!

Thanks! I'll give that a try, also. I've tried a week of Pepcid, which helped, but not enough, so I'm switching to Prilosec and will see how that works. I'll grab some Gaviscon, though, too. Anything to stop these frustrating sensations!

The same thing happened to me, it was more intense for a few weeks after the surgery and has lessened now. I took the Prilosec and it helped quite a bit and I always had to have a little bit of Protein (two bites of cottage cheese, some string cheese) before bed so I could sleep. Protein takes longer to digest so it stays in your stomach longer keeping the hunger pangs at bay for the night usually. Genepha is right, you have to take the prilosec consistently for it to work. It took two to three days for it really to take effect. I am about seven weeks out and I no longer need to take it.

I'm glad to hear it might ease up eventually! Yeah, I have noticed I don't get it as frequently if I heat a high protien, more filling meal. sugar free Jello doesn't do a thing for it! :)

We're happy to announce the launch of www.SleevePlicationTalk.com ! A new community for pre or post Gastric Sleeve Plication surgery support.