Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide on your goal weight?

I actually talked to my nutritionist, whom I am seeing once a month. We decided that 58 kgs (128 lbs) will be fine. I have no idea what I'll look like then. I don't remember being that light in my life; the lightest I have ever been at high school was 148 (overweight anyway for my height).

This way I shouldn't have much fat left and won't be insulin resistant. I am 166 cm (which should be 5.45 feet).

My surgeon set my goal weight at 150. I started at 228 (at the seminar) and the day before surgery I was at 205. I wanted to get 5 lbs below his goal so I'd have a "pad". Initially, in the very beginning before I knew HIS goal (i learned it at my 3 month check up) I really under estimated what this surgery could help me do....I thought I'd be 'happy' at 165 or 170! Then I had surgery and wow......it's amazing!!!! I saw what was possible, but I really did NOT know what was possible. How low I could go!!

My mom always said I was 'big boned'. What the heck does that even mean??!!! :) I am NOT big boned!!! I am a lot smaller framed than I'd have ever thought. People say I'm small, tiny, skinny!!! Oh my gosh! ME?????!!!! Surely not, but I am just now beginning to see it....yes, me!!! I don't look bad, like a scare crow, or any of the things I THOUGHT i'd look like at 136, seriously!!! I went from a size 20, 18 on a good day, to buying jeans in 4's and 6's. Shocking, and fun, fun, fun!!!!!!!!!!! I still look at them right out of the dryer and think, NO WAY!!! I slip right into them, I never have to lay on the bed to zip them!!! You know what I mean!!!! Everyone does!! I'm just over 5'6". I'm about 12 lbs below my surgeon's goal. My BMI is 21.94 today! (I weighed in at 137)

All I can tell you is don't under estimate what you can do.....what this surgery can help you do!!! It's hard for us to imagine ourselves as thin, even when we get there, it is difficult for our minds to catch up, it takes a while to see ourselves that way. You won't look like a stick, I promise!!! Go for it! Set the bar low...or high, depends on how you want to look at it, and good luck!!!!

Reading the different posts, I notice almost all have a goal weight. I am curious as to how you choose the number you did. I haven't been under 200 lbs. since I was 17 so that is what I most care about but BMI charts say I should be about 165 to be at a healthy weight (I'm 5'9"). However, when I was down to 235 a few years ago I was literally wearing a 12/14. I can't imagine what size I would be at 160- I don't want to be a scare crow.

In a side note, my sister is 5'10", 135 and a size 2 (yes, I'd hate her if I didn't love her so much) but her bone structure has always seemed much smaller than mine . Not sure if that because she's so much thinner or if we're really built differently. And, at 135, she is "bony-looking" which isn't what I want

I'm wondering if not having a set goal weight will negatively affect my weight loss and, if so, how in the heck do I go about picking the magic number? Would love some thoughts on the subject!

Thanks!

Amanda

This is so funny! Initially, before my surgeon set a goal, when I started losing weight, I got to a fourteen so quickly.....my goal was not a weight, I wanted to get to a size 8. I had no idea what I would weigh at a size eight, and it really didn't seem possible, it seemed so far away, but it wasn't!!! I got there and kept going!!! I bet you can lose even more if you want to.....I never thought I could or would. Size 4 and 6 jeans, never in my wildest dreams!! My current BMI (today is 21.94) I feel great, at 51, I'm healthier than I've ever been!

I did not have a weight goal in the beginning I just wanted to be a size 10, now that I'm wearing a size 10 at 175lbs I've scheduled an appt. with my doctor so we can discuss a goal weight I'm thinking 165 would work for me I'm 5'4" I can not imagine being any smaller. I don't focus on the BMI chart, personally I don't think that chart takes into account the different body types that are out there any ways.

Take Care

Reading the different posts, I notice almost all have a goal weight. I am curious as to how you choose the number you did. I haven't been under 200 lbs. since I was 17 so that is what I most care about but BMI charts say I should be about 165 to be at a healthy weight (I'm 5'9"). However, when I was down to 235 a few years ago I was literally wearing a 12/14. I can't imagine what size I would be at 160- I don't want to be a scare crow.

In a side note, my sister is 5'10", 135 and a size 2 (yes, I'd hate her if I didn't love her so much) but her bone structure has always seemed much smaller than mine . Not sure if that because she's so much thinner or if we're really built differently. And, at 135, she is "bony-looking" which isn't what I want

I'm wondering if not having a set goal weight will negatively affect my weight loss and, if so, how in the heck do I go about picking the magic number? Would love some thoughts on the subject!

Thanks!

Amanda

My goal is a healthy BMI and I am overweight accoring to the charts but I was a size 12 in High School and early 20's so I'm very comfortable at this weight and size, plus my PCP agrees with me. I am 11 months out and trying to maintain is harder than I thought.