Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TMI shaving before surgery?

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I'm getting sleeved on 3/29 and I was wondering if any women shaved "down there" before surgery? I was thinking that with a catheter being put in I might want to, but didn't know if I could or should. Anyone deal with this? Thanks!

I had a pedicure done before my surgery LOL. I'm a firm believer that those prep nurses and docs have seen it ALL, but they don't have to see MY ALL. I'm of the thought process that if I wasn't "presentable" in any area that it was just icky.

Kind of like when my mom told me to never leave the house with dirty panties on. . . I just wanted to be presentable, I don't care what they've seen or how many body parts they've shaved, scrubbed, none of them were MY body parts, and mine needed to be in pristine condition before anyone ventured down there ;)

Agree. Landscaping is a must with me. (Thats my personal opinion.) To each their own. :D

Deb

It really depends on how bad of a bush you got going on LOL.. If it's so bad that it's going to take like two nurses just to put in a cath, one to hold back the hair and one to open the labia (i am exaggerating a lil bit here)... then trim it up LOL... If it's just a lil stubbly and a lil hair but not afro-like, then no big deal.. no one cares.. it's only when it's CLEARLY never been taken care of that some nurses might have a thought or two to the effect of "you could have at least shaved your tw*t ok" LOL.. Most of the time, we don't care.. Caths take like 2 seconds to do so we aren't down there long enough to really notice or care... When I had my c-section in 2010, I shaved my stuff completely but it's just personal choice... if u aren't wanting to shave (and it isn't a bush that sticks out of ur panties), then dont lol..

Oh, and I also had a pedicure before my c-section lol.. Just my choice =)

Um, I don't do this and I have never EVER done this ever in my whole life. Actually it's not true, I did do it once and from what I recall it itched like I had fireants in my shorts. Am I completely behind the times here? Is a nurse really going to cluck over my chocha while she's inserting my catheter? Do you think they talk in the breakroom about the various foliage they've seen?

Um, I don't do this and I have never EVER done this ever in my whole life. Actually it's not true, I did do it once and from what I recall it itched like I had fireants in my shorts. Am I completely behind the times here? Is a nurse really going to cluck over my chocha while she's inserting my catheter? Do you think they talk in the breakroom about the various foliage they've seen?

LOL!!!!!!!!! RARELY..... Unless it's so appalling that we have NO choice but to laugh... but usually, nurses don't care... honestly.. if you aren't comfortable with shaving, then just trim.. We've all let our bush get out of control at some point.. It's just for those that have never tidied up and have a ginormous bush then we might get a laugh out of it lol..And I think I've only had ONE thought that someone should tidy their stuff up out of like 2398948 caths that I've done lol.. Caths are so quick that it really doesn't matter.. She will have inserted it and moved on within about two minutes lol

We might discuss things like "EAT THIS" tattooed above your vagina or something else to that effect.. but pubes are rarely a topic of discussion LOL

I didn't care.... and I followed the preop instructions which were to shower the night before, no shaving, no lotions, no powders (!).

From a dude point of view, I did not know they put in catheters for sleevers. Can someone tell my why?

Also if the surgery is done at the upper abdomen area why shave the ta ta.

Is this just a gal thing or is this something I can discus in the man cave (lol).

Lash

If you get a catheter, its going right down that hole at the tip of your peepee. You really wouldn't need to shave.

From a dude point of view, I did not know they put in catheters for sleevers. Can someone tell my why?

Also if the surgery is done at the upper abdomen area why shave the ta ta.

Is this just a gal thing or is this something I can discus in the man cave (lol).

Lash

They typically DON'T as the operation is so short that it doesn't require it. It may be more prevalent in women if they do, as it is harder for a woman to go wee while in bed than it is a man.

I never shaved specifically for the surgery, as I always keep it shaved. Just preference I guess, feels so much cleaner to me & easier to keep clean "down there" if it's shaved! Some of my co-workers said that "the drapes need to match the carpet".....I told them if that was the case, then I'd have to shave my head! laugh.gif

I mowed the lawn a few a days before surgery!

This is hilarious!!! I have seen tattoos that women have of a little stick figure with a lawnmower just above their vagina... and they leave a lil bit of hair to show where the "lawnmower" has and has not been... hilarious =)

And you are right about the time.. My surgeon said the surgery lasts about 35 mins... I don't EXPECT to have one... They should make you urinate prior to surgery..

I did get a cath. They put it in after I was put to sleep, and took it out before I woke back up. Was worried the first time I pee'd, as I felt like I was getting a bladder infection. The nurses said "Oh that's just from the cath... It should go away really quick" (and it did).

Best Of Luck!!