Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Afraid and need advice

Hello LilMissDiva

Thank u so much!! for the reply and words of encouragement, Best of luck on ur 5k!! it is the best feeling in the whole world! you must already be so proud of urself for taking this huge step but let me tell u, as soon u cross the finish line that day "no matter when and how fast" you will be totally a new different person with new attitude! even better than the one u already have now! just keep going and keep visualizing ur dream:)

Oh man I remember when I ran those 5k I kept cheering at myself alone and going "YES YES I DID IT!" for so long lol

I fell down on that marathon, it took place by the pyramids where I live in Egypt and the road there isnt a good running one! and I dragged my friends along and I kept looking back to check on them, and then bammm! I fell!! but I got up and kept going and then after I was done I discovered how bruised my knees were and that I already bent my ankle! but the pain was not felt during the marathon!! adrenaline rush! LOL

BEST OF LUCK SWEETY!!!

WOWWW!! Thanks for the story and the encouragement. I can only imagine the sense of completion and exhilaration one must feel when getting accross that finish line. I just keep thinking that its tough doing it on the treadmill, but once you get that gleam of the FINISH line ahead I can see me sprinting as fast as I can for it!! :D :D :D

Sorry your knees got bruised up tho... :o

You have such a journey with your band and then now the sleeve! you sound like u are truly in love with the sleeve and all of the good vibe I keep getting out of this board about the sleeve is just breath taking!!

Kudos for keeping ur back there to remind u lol ... I seem to be worried if I took off my band I will gain all the weight! It is just the fear of becoming that old girl again!! I think I will need mental therapy lol

Absolutely yes, I'm mad over my sleeve!! Best thing I've ever done for myself, without a doubt. I do understand your reservations though, it's a scary thought gaining all your weight back, let alone even a few. It is absolutely your choice on what to do with your own body... but my personal opinion is that you really won't need it. It is a miracle in the way they cut our stomachs, it does not stretch back much, if at all.

I have few questions for you, u seem to be hooked on exercise just like I love it too, so how is your energy levels?

Yes, I do love to work out. I have always been that way since I was a young teen though, and it's something that I've always been able to stick with. That said, when one is obese such as myself it goes so much deeper than working out every day. It's always what we fuel our bodies with that makes us fat or fit. Something I had to learn the hard way over the years.

My energy levels are really good. I have my lazy moments though, but honestly its no more than I think what a normal person goes through. There will be moments where I just don't want to do any workout or do anything really, but then I'll wake up one day and I'll be back at it full steam ahead. I just think that is my body's way of telling me it's time for a break. LOL!! If it didn't do this, I'd workout 7/365... I pull in hours worth of workout time too, it's nothing to me. I really REALLY love it. :)

I get in about 12-1300 calories a day when I'm doing this. I get in much less though if I don't workout. I seem to supplement with higher calorie and high Protein shakes, so even two right there will bump it up enough to sustain my workout schedule.

Cause honestly I feel like I eat soooo little now and fighting with my levels! so what if I got the sleeve and ate fewer than now as some of you are reporting on the board that you can go for only 800 calories a day! .. do u still feel active and ready for ur run?

This last week I have not felt like training. I'd been training hard for the last two months steady and my body was telling me its time for rest... so that's what I did. But I was back at it as of early this morning.

My only fear now is that I will do the surgery and I will still eat the same small amound and never lose the weight!! but ofcourse I will just gain the benfit of not feeling hungry all the time!

#1 believe me, you WILL lose weight!! Trust me... ;) #2 yes most of us get rid of the hunger pangs. It's pretty nice, not gonna lie. Sure don't miss that. I really would feel physical hunger ALL THE TIME!! I do not anymore. Sometimes I even have to remember to eat. I try to never skip a meal though because the best way to keep a fire burning (your metabolism) is to feed that fire (healthy of course!)

how much time did ur surgery took?

My total surgery revision time was about 90 minutes.

How much time did u need to recover and go down and then also be able to run?

I am six months out and I so far have lost about 65 Lbs. I still need to lose about 45 lbs to hit goal. However I was even heavier pre-band weight and from my highest I've lost 121 Lbs. I was able to start running again about 2 months ago. I think I was about 20 Lbs heaver than I am now. So 230 Lbs there abouts, and I'm 5'6".

Do u have any pain?

like on my band I always have a shoulder pain after I eat especially if I had too much!?

If I understand your question correctly, then yes I did have band pain. My port pain was so chronic and terrible, my surgeon (at that time, not the same surgeon I have now TG) never wanted to do anything about it. Also eating was so tough and painful for me, even after one single of the tiniest bite chewed to mush anyone can do... so naturally I opted for softer (also known as slider) foods. Not good, defeats the purpose of the band!!!

However now, no I do not have any pain. I do feel discomfort sometimes if I take too big a bite, don't chew good enough or eat too fast or even too much. But it takes awhile to get there, its not after one swallow, if you know what I mean.

does the Water rule apply to the sleeve as the band?

Yes, you should not drink at least 30 minutes after your meals. However, I do drink Water all the way up to meal time. I will wait about 10 minutes then eat. It has not affected my fullness factor nor my satiety at all.

:)

I hope this helps!!!

Welcom to the board and congratulations on your success!

I am another lap-band to sleeve conversion. I am only 3 weeks out from my revision and all is going well so far. I wanted to mention that the article you posted earlier was written in 2007. I am not sure what the stats were for sleeve in 2007, but I can assure you that the stats are very favorable for the sleeve now. You have already read through Tiffy's stuff. She is a wealth of information. You will find that those of us who used to have the lap-band and now have the sleeve are a bit fanatical about how bad the band was for us.

Most important things (like everyone else has said): do your research, find an EXCELLENT surgeon that has experience with the revision. Not just sleeve experience, but experience taking the band out and then creating the sleeve. The stomach you are left with is so small - there would be no point in keeping the band there. I did not have any major band complications, but I had the shoulder pain, I could not bend over with pants on (because of the port), and I had 10 fills/unfills in a period of 3 years. I also couldn't eat chicken (always stuck). The band literaly prevented me from eating healthy food and encouraged me to eat bad foods to prevent pain. The day I had my revision, they stuck that needle in my port (OUCH!) for the last time and I was so excited that it would never happen again.

This is a very personal journey and you will find what is best for you.

Very best of luck to you--

Lara

@Little Miss Diva: Band in a hat box in her closet! LOL! I kept the pins that fixed my shattered finger tip (till the box fell down and they got vacumed up!). Sleeve for me on Monday, the sight of that big ole foreign object in my body made me go to Sleeve. I thought about Band, for someone (You) who's Band is failing, I'd go for Sleeve.

Good luck

Hatbox! haahaa

WOWWW!! Thanks for the story and the encouragement. I can only imagine the sense of completion and exhilaration one must feel when getting accross that finish line. I just keep thinking that its tough doing it on the treadmill, but once you get that gleam of the FINISH line ahead I can see me sprinting as fast as I can for it!! :D :D :D

Dear LilMissDiva ..

I will be cheering for you and dont forget to take the before and after pix of ur 5K!! I dont know why most ppl find that that the treadmill is easier than the real road! but I found it totally the opposite:) oh and the fresh air!

BEST BEST OF LUCK!!

My energy levels are really good. I have my lazy moments though, but honestly its no more than I think what a normal person goes through.

I can totally appreciate normal lazy moments as we are just human beings!! I was afraid I will be dizzy and out of mood all day, U have no idea or may be you do ofcourse how the band sometimes put me in a state of starvation! Yes I eat! but it is either unhealthy "Slider" as you all call it here food or just I avoid the terrible pain of eating!

and sometimes when I am really mad! I use the Water cheat:( and feel bloated!and irritated afterward!

Your experience made things seem so normal! and I will be considering the Vitamins Texas mentioned here.

However now, no I do not have any pain. I do feel discomfort sometimes if I take too big a bite, don't chew good enough or eat too fast or even too much. But it takes awhile to get there, its not after one swallow, if you know what I mean.

Oh I totally now what you mean!! its like you are crazy hungry and the first thing you put in ur mouth is stuck there!!

Mornings have been my worst nightmare! so do you feel tight too on ur sleeve in the mornings?

I hope this helps!!!

OMG! you have no idea!!! Thank you so much:))) now I am starting to have sleepless nights remembering my last surgery and what I went through due to pain and how I look now .. and how I will look later!! I am really not asking for not more than 70 LBS down! lol I am sick of being stuck and sick of being called FAT! and really want to start living my life!!

I will keep you posted and I have added u on FB:)

I wanted to mention that the article you posted earlier was written in 2007. I am not sure what the stats were for sleeve in 2007

Hello Lara, Oh yeah I just paid attention to the date!! I am sure with all the good reviwes down here things have totally change:) thanks for the reassurance:) you are all are great help really :)

I also couldn't eat chicken (always stuck)

Oh chicken and steak are nightmare to me too!!

. I did not have any major band complications,

honestly me too! but being stuck and eating poorly as u mentioned can drive anyone mentally crazy

Thanks a lot Lara!! truly appreciated X