Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disapointed and venting...

I'm so bummed this morning. I typically weigh every Tuesday and Friday. Between last Friday's weigh in and yesterday's I have gained 5 lbs. For some reason I lost my mind last weekend and slipped back into old habits (habits that involve pizza and donuts). It should never have happened, but I thought I could (and was) controlling myself. I didn't eat large amounts, just ate them often. Not only did it cause a bad result on the scale, but I also felt like crap. Lesson learned.... I just didn't realize it would have that large of an impact, but I should have known and it was a dumb thing to do. I'm sure i'll be flamed for it too.

Here's the REALLY disappointing part.... I weighed again today since I am going way off track and I've gained another 2 lbs. Yesterday I got my Protein, Water and exercise. My carbs were a little higher than normal (around 50 instead of the normal 30), but I couldn't believe I had gained. I thought I'd be down a little... but nope. Guess you can just never tell what our bodies will do. I just didn't have the heart to change my ticker.

I can't let it get me down though. I messed up, and I know it. But I have to turn it around and get back on track. Honest journaling, eating well and upping my Water is on the agenda for today. But I can't help but still feel a little bummed! Just another friendly reminder that we've only been given a tool and that it really is up to us. Thanks for the vent.... onward and downward!

I'm so bummed this morning. I typically weigh every Tuesday and Friday. Between last Friday's weigh in and yesterday's I have gained 5 lbs. For some reason I lost my mind last weekend and slipped back into old habits (habits that involve pizza and donuts). It should never have happened, but I thought I could (and was) controlling myself. I didn't eat large amounts, just ate them often. Not only did it cause a bad result on the scale, but I also felt like crap. Lesson learned.... I just didn't realize it would have that large of an impact, but I should have known and it was a dumb thing to do. I'm sure i'll be flamed for it too.

Here's the REALLY disappointing part.... I weighed again today since I am going way off track and I've gained another 2 lbs. Yesterday I got my Protein, Water and exercise. My carbs were a little higher than normal (around 50 instead of the normal 30), but I couldn't believe I had gained. I thought I'd be down a little... but nope. Guess you can just never tell what our bodies will do. I just didn't have the heart to change my ticker.

I can't let it get me down though. I messed up, and I know it. But I have to turn it around and get back on track. Honest journaling, eating well and upping my Water is on the agenda for today. But I can't help but still feel a little bummed! Just another friendly reminder that we've only been given a tool and that it really is up to us. Thanks for the vent.... onward and downward!

I understand how you feel but please don't beat yourself up about it. At least you admit that you had a few hiccups and you're doing the right thing now. 4-5 lbs isn't a big deal, it can be water weight. Just continue doing what you are doing and you'll continue with the weight loss!

Hello, I am feeling your pain. That happened to me as well. I left for spring break and weighed in and when i came back i gained 5 lbs. I am so sad and upset. I cannot seem to stay on this diet anymore. I am craving all kinds of food and I am always hungry. I think I need to do the 5 day pouch test.

Hi Valleygirl... I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm thinking of doing the 5 day pouch test too, but I've heard it's only for people 6 months out. I'm not sure why though...

Hi Ladies,

Whats done is done... no sense in crying over spilled milk. You admitted that you could've done better and *that* is the first step to recovery. *I* am a food addict, I know!!!

They did surgery to remove our stomach - they didn't do anything to keep the head hunger from happening. Only ourselves will be able to over come that.

I don't think you gained 5 Lbs of fat, you'd have had to eaten 17,500 calories above what you burned on those two days... I say it's just not possible. Not with the sleeve. Some of us are just much more sensitive than others to carbohydrates of all types. You are probably one of them. The only thing to do now is to get back on track and start over. Don't let this hiccup keep you feeling down and low, instead feel empowered that you realized your mistake and are willing to correct it.

You can still do the 5 day pouch test, you don't have to wait until you're six months post op. For us, it would mostly be to curb the carb demon right now. I personally just eat super low carbs for a few days to get over it. I've never been good at sticking to liquids unless there is the threat of physical harm to me... like my staples busting open.

Good wishes on your journeys!!!

Hello, I am feeling your pain. That happened to me as well. I left for spring break and weighed in and when i came back i gained 5 lbs. I am so sad and upset. I cannot seem to stay on this diet anymore. I am craving all kinds of food and I am always hungry. I think I need to do the 5 day pouch test.

What is the 5 day pouch test???? Valleygirl, when were you sleeved? I haven't heard a lot of complaints about being hungry, when did your hunger come back?

I was sleeved on dec 29. And was 277 and know I am 250..I get hungry often and feel I have streched my sleeve...so sad

If you had your sleeve done in Dec of 2010 there is no way that you have stretched your tummy this soon. That is less than 3 months ago. It is possible that a lot of swelling and inflammation has gone away and your tummy has healed, which may be allowing you to eat a little more and you may not be feeling quite as much restriction. This is completely normal. How much are you able to eat? Don't go by Soups, but measure how many oz of dense meat like tuna or chicken you can eat. It probably won't be very much.

The 5-day pouch test was created for thw RNY gastric bypass, and usually they were pretty far out from surgery, The pouch of the GB is much easier to stretch out because it is made from the intestines, which is thinner and stretchier tissue. The sleeve is your actual tummy with the greater curvature removed(which is also the stretchiest part of our tummies).

I am not saying the sleeve cannot be eventually stretched over time. Just not usually within the first yr. And not very much or very easy. A lot of people report having great restriction yrs out. But it's all in what you put in the sleeve that counts. If you do what most surgeons recommend and eat your Protein first, you should do great.

Good Luck!

Kelly

Hi Ladies,

Whats done is done... no sense in crying over spilled milk. You admitted that you could've done better and *that* is the first step to recovery. *I* am a food addict, I know!!!

They did surgery to remove our stomach - they didn't do anything to keep the head hunger from happening. Only ourselves will be able to over come that.

I don't think you gained 5 Lbs of fat, you'd have had to eaten 17,500 calories above what you burned on those two days... I say it's just not possible. Not with the sleeve. Some of us are just much more sensitive than others to carbohydrates of all types. You are probably one of them. The only thing to do now is to get back on track and start over. Don't let this hiccup keep you feeling down and low, instead feel empowered that you realized your mistake and are willing to correct it.

You can still do the 5 day pouch test, you don't have to wait until you're six months post op. For us, it would mostly be to curb the carb demon right now. I personally just eat super low carbs for a few days to get over it. I've never been good at sticking to liquids unless there is the threat of physical harm to me... like my staples busting open.

Good wishes on your journeys!!!

Couldn't agree more with Diva -- I too am a carb/food addict and cannot eat much of them (veggies, fruits, yes-- processed, refined carbs NO!) -- and like she said, you really don't need to do the pouch test, just lower your carbs for a couple of days (sometimes it takes me 5 days to get over too much carb intake) and DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! Can't stress the Water part enough -- and you may too be very sensitive to carbs -- it's actually good to know this now as opposed to later when you've reached goal and start increasing your food intake -- I know that even when I hit goal, carbs will just not be a big part of my food life. I just go gonzo with them and can't stop thinking about them. So, for me, they don't have a place in my life.

And, don't beat yourself up -- sounds like you learned your lesson -- that's the important part. As a teacher, I always tell my students that if you don't make mistakes, you can't learn. I expect them to make mistakes, otherwise they wouldn't need to be in my class . . . and the same is true for all of us! If we don't figure out through trial and error what is right for us, then what's the point of doing the surgery??

So, stop the beating up of yourself and say to yourself that you learned something about your journey! We've all been there, trust us! ;) Big hugs!

Ladies, thank you so much for your words of encouragement. They do mean alot to me. Today I did 2 miles on the treadmill and am trying to stay away from carbs. My problem is that I get tired of the same foods. Any suggestions?

We are very much so in the same boat! I'm so tired of eating nothing but protein... but I've seen what happens when I do indulge in the carbs I want... so I've decided it's not worth it. Today I had 3 turkey sausage links. Very boring, but low cal and lots of protein! I think it's only natural to get tired of the repetition, but I'm trying to bear in mind that this isn't forever. Once I reach my goal I can have the occasional bad carb treat, but I have to stick with it for now. My goal is 100lbs down by 6 months out. So far I'm almost 3 months out and only down 45lbs. But I'm happy with that, it just makes me want more! I constantly read the "Whatcha eating today" posts for new food ideas.

We had birthday cake two days in a row at work.. I indulged, about two tablespoons each day... this added around a hundred calories extra to my day.... I did gain a pound... but know I just need to get back on track. Really the worst part is how much those carbs call me name after I eat them! I love my sleeve because it is really helping with damage control when those unhealthy treats are out there. I thinking gaining so many pounds is all about the carbs and salt, it will come off as quick as it went on if you get on it right now, lots of Water and eat really clean a few days. Thats what I'm up to too today.