Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been reading and learning from all of you for a couple of months now and appreciate the thoughtful support and valuable information .provided by this community. It has played a significant role in my decision to have the surgery. My impression, though, is that most folks who take this step are somewhere in their 20's - 40's. If there's anyone who has experience or perspective on getting sleeved a little later in life (say 60+), I would love to hear it. Thanks!

I have been reading and learning from all of you for a couple of months now and appreciate the thoughtful support and valuable information .provided by this community. It has played a significant role in my decision to have the surgery. My impression, though, is that most folks who take this step are somewhere in their 20's - 40's. If there's anyone who has experience or perspective on getting sleeved a little later in life (say 60+), I would love to hear it. Thanks!

I am having it done on April 4 and I am 60 going on 61. I was scheduled for a Roux en Y 2 years ago, but decided to have triple bypass instead(LOL).

Will let you know..........

I think it is all conditional. You can have a 70 year old who acts like a 50 year old. Then again you see some 40 year olds who seem like they are 80. If you are healthy enough otherwise, I'm sure a doctor will see what can be done.

Go with it, i was told at time there was an age limit on WLS, now there isn't. Consider your health risk versus gain.

You be glad you did, as I did. I am Fifty Plus

Lash

I am 57 and hope to have my sleeve in April or May if I can remove all the roadbocks!

I have to admit I find myself having pangs of regret about not having done this sooner. However, I have always been young at heart and now my body will be that way too.

I will be You Tubing my journey eventually so as to help others.

I am 57 and hope to have my sleeve in April or May if I can remove all the roadbocks!

I have to admit I find myself having pangs of regret about not having done this sooner. However, I have always been young at heart and now my body will be that way too.

I will be You Tubing my journey eventually so as to help others.

I find myself regretting that I didn't get this sooner, but then I realize it really hasn't been available THAT long. We're only now starting to get 5 year studies on the VSG and many insurance companies didn't even cover it until very recently.

So I tell myself I"m getting it done now because now is the earliest I could have done it. And now that I have the opportunity, I'm grabbing it.

:)

I am scheduled for surgery on 3/25, and I am 51. If your doctor is ok with it, I say go for it - I would love to get my Mom to have it. Maybe after she sees my results (hopefully) she will think about it.

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I have been wondering if older folks have experienced slower healing, slower/less weight loss, etc. While we've yet to hear from anyone 60+ who's had the surgery, it doesn't sound like anyone anticipates issues specifically related to age. Hey - maybe I can set some kind of a record for Old Sleeve Rock Star!

Hi I had surgery June 29 last summer. I had/ sleep apnea and severe osteoarthritis in knees but otherwise no comorbidities. Oh forgot to say I was 62 at tome of surgery.

Of course everyone is different but all went fine. No problems. My surgeon said I did better than a lot of his younger patients. Still doing fine. No complications. Of course I picked the VSG because of my age and the lower risk of complications it posed compared to bypass.

The only problem for me has been not being able to execise as vigorously as people who don't need knee replacement.

P.s. If you haven't done so suggest you read the age-related subforum for those in their 60s and 70s

P.s. If you haven't done so suggest you read the age-related subforum for those in their 60s and 70s

Roseib, thanks so much. For all my reading on this site, I never saw the subforum and will check it out. We have a bit in common. I'm 61 with sleep apnea and have been putting off a recommended knee replacement for about two years. I've been concerned about what I can do for exercise, with the best option appearing to be Water aerobics. May i ask how you have dealt with it? Congratulations on your success to date - I hope I do as well!

Hi I had surgery June 29 last summer. I had/ sleep apnea and severe osteoarthritis in knees but otherwise no comorbidities. Oh forgot to say I was 62 at tome of surgery.

Of course everyone is different but all went fine. No problems. My surgeon said I did better than a lot of his younger patients. Still doing fine. No complications. Of course I picked the VSG because of my age and the lower risk of complications it posed compared to bypass.

The only problem for me has been not being able to execise as vigorously as people who don't need knee replacement.

Rose,

You must be doing something right--you've lost 125 lbs!!!!!!! I'm thinking you are exercising just fine. Keep up the good work!

Thanks to all for the encouragement. I have been wondering if older folks have experienced slower healing, slower/less weight loss, etc. While we've yet to hear from anyone 60+ who's had the surgery, it doesn't sound like anyone anticipates issues specifically related to age. Hey - maybe I can set some kind of a record for Old Sleeve Rock Star!

:) Hey. Believe it or not there are some studies that show that older patients do better with major surgery than younger people do. I can't quite remember all the studies but one thing they pointed to was a less urgent response to stress. Stress is actually an immune response -- older peoples' immune systems aren't always worse but often different -- more flexible and acclimatory. One thing older people have learned how to do is adjust -- that seems to help with health challenges, including surgery.

I am 58 and I have been sleeved nearly 2 years. I wish I could say it's been 5 years since the 5 year studies are just starting to come out.

I love the sleeve and all I can say is I wish I had the VS instead of the lap band. I could have saved myself 10 grand!

Roseib, thanks so much. For all my reading on this site, I never saw the subforum and will check it out. We have a bit in common. I'm 61 with sleep apnea and have been putting off a recommended knee replacement for about two years. I've been concerned about what I can do for exercise, with the best option appearing to be Water aerobics. May i ask how you have dealt with it? Congratulations on your success to date - I hope I do as well!

I'm sure you'll do fine. A lot of it is attitude and how one deals with any problems that arise (if they do). At least that's my opinion.

With respect to exercise, I have been using seated exercise DVDs. I particularly like the Chair Dancing series by Jody Stolove. They are a lot of fun and more vigorous than the other seated DVDs I have. She has both aerobic exercise and toning and resistance ones. There are many others out there, though, that are for elderly or disabled people who can't stand up to exercise. I'm also thinking about ordering Chair Boxing to work on upper body. Sounds like a good way to deal with work stress as well as helping body! (I found these on amazon.com)

I think you are right about Water aerobics being the best option for us folks with terrible knees. I want to use a particular gym and given my schedule this academic year (I'm in education), I can't make most of the water aerobics class times. I plan to join and get involved as soon as school lets out in May.

Oh, there is also a DVD a friend got for me that has many seated positions -- it's called Yoga for Arthritis but I don't remember the name of the woman who made it. It's good for relaxation and reducing stress and working on flexibility.

I will say that even though I have a lot of weight left to lose, despite the person I have already lost, I do get around a lot better, take less pain med, and can stand for longer periods of time. My balance is better.

Good luck on your journey!