Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello...

I am new here, I am scheduled with Dr Jose Rodriguez in Mexico on May 4. I am 5'0 and weigh 199, that puts me at a BMI of 38.9. Many of my friends and family keep commenting that they don't think I am "big"enough for this...Many failed diets...Input??

I had surgery and my BMI was 35.3, also many, many failed diets. The push for me was watching a Bowl game over the holidays and realizing that I weighed more than a LSU linebacker. My friends also say things like, "you're not THAT big." Yes, I am(was), and I did something about it.

Can't let everyone make your own decisions. If you feel that this is what you need, and the surgeon considers you a candidate then go for it. :)

how we see ourselves is how we see ourselves. i am 6 feet tall and at my heaviest weighed 350lbs i was a very big girl. . .when i got the surgery people would tell me that they never saw me as big . . . but i sure did. . . even now after losing 150 lbs i see myself as a big person. . you have to be happy with your choice, i'm so happy i did this surgery even though I still see myself as large there are so many things that don't . . like fitting comfortably on a plane seat, crossing my legs, being able to shop in a regular store and not in a women's plus store, bending over without feeling like my eyeballs are going to fall out from the pressure and so on. . so these surgery decision are for you to make, no one can make them for you. . . but make sure you research everything, go to the seminars and talk to the surgeon in length. . . good luck

I had a BMI of 38 when I decided to have my surgery, it was one of the best desicions ever, go for it!

I did mine at just about 35 BMI. Why wait til you can't even get out of bed on your own? I'm glad I missed out on some "joys" of being 300+ lbs, such as not being able to fit into an airplane seat or wipe your own @$$ properly.

Stay focused on your own goals! I, too, was only 38.5 BMI and everyone told me that I didn't need to get surgery. I could just diet and go to the gym! Well, I did all that and then some and still was overweight!

I am 3 weeks post-op and I am so happy that I did the surgery. Don't worry about the non-supporters. They will always be there and you don't need to worry about what they think. Look for support from you cheering squad (those who do support you) and remember that this is your choice and you will look great! I really don't care what anyone things about it anymore. It's easier to say that after you have the surgery. I was 214 and I am only 5'1". I was miserable. I am already down to 179 and I feel great!

STay strong and know that there are many of us on here that will support you 100%:rolleyes:

Stay focused on your own goals! I, too, was only 38.5 BMI and everyone told me that I didn't need to get surgery. I could just diet and go to the gym! Well, I did all that and then some and still was overweight!

I am 3 weeks post-op and I am so happy that I did the surgery. Don't worry about the non-supporters. They will always be there and you don't need to worry about what they think. Look for support from you cheering squad (those who do support you) and remember that this is your choice and you will look great! I really don't care what anyone things about it anymore. It's easier to say that after you have the surgery. I was 214 and I am only 5'1". I was miserable. I am already down to 179 and I feel great!

STay strong and know that there are many of us on here that will support you 100%:rolleyes:

Thanks to all who responded..it is a personal decision, and it's MY decision. I cant wait!!!

I too got a lot of comments from friends and family about how they didn't think I needed to something that "crazy" but I knew what I needed to do! I was a BMI of 38-39 too! It was the BEST decision I've made in a LONG time when it comes to ME!

If you are crazy, I must have been psychotic!!!!!

My BMI was 32.8 ... but my entire family is obese or morbidly obese, I couldn't keep off weight and I was gaining more and more each year. 30.0 is considered obese. Just how "obese" do you need to be to make this decision? That's for everyone to decide for themselves.

But, I am not looking back. I love being "normal", feeling comfortable in my own skin, and enjoying movement again.

I was around 33. 5'3" and 186 lbs. I'm 5 weeks out and down to 164 right now. I'm not sure why anyone would think that you have to wait until you are 300 lbs. I've paid enough dues. I know myself too well. I certainly could have gotten the weight off (once again), kept it off for a few months and go right back to gaining and add a few more. I just know myself too well. I think the VSG is a perfect option for the low BMI'er. For once in my life, I have control over my eating habits. I almost feel as if I purchased a "potion control" insurance policy. I don't really see it as weight loss surgery.

Hello...

I am new here, I am scheduled with Dr Jose Rodriguez in Mexico on May 4. I am 5'0 and weigh 199, that puts me at a BMI of 38.9. Many of my friends and family keep commenting that they don't think I am "big"enough for this...Many failed diets...Input??

I'm under a 40 BMI too and I've had the same question. So I think its a very valid question that you need to answer for you. Yes, many failed diets, yes lots of lost weight to come back again with extra pounds, yes I worry about surgery. But you have to weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for you. I'm doing it. There are many reasons but the one thing that keeps nagging at me is that as I get older (and we all are getting older) when those diets fail I seem to gain more weight back. I don't want to keep adding an additional 10-20 lbs every year and then realize I have a much larger BMI. I just want to take care of it now and get that BMI down where it should be and keep it there. I'm scheduled for April 11. Yes I'm scared but this is the best decision for me.

No way you are not too small. I think majority of the world thinks you have to be bedridden fat to consider WLS as an option. Some wait that long, others don't. You are good to go, and lucky you decided to do it now. You don't have a lot to lose, so your skin issues will be minimal at best. You will likely have better results than those who need to lose 200+ Lbs, and you will make your goal really quickly and you can be about your business and living your life.

I always did wish I would've had this option when I was smaller and not wasted 20 years of my life being so big...

Good luck to you!! I'm glad you have decided not to allow anyone else's decisions for you affect your decision for yourself.