Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just cant get use to eating new food. Any advice

Hello Everyone,

I had my sleeve done 02/22/2011 so I am almost a month post-op. I have been trying some different foods to eat and some of the things I have tried are not setting well with my stomach so it comes right back up, is this normal? Also, sometimes when I eat I feel like I am having a stomach heart-attack (stomach spasm type pains) sorry that is the only way I can describe it. I feel I am doing good with weight loss so far and before I was having problems with dehydration and couldn't get enough liquids in but that has all worked out but now its the food thing. Any reccommendations would be great. What can I eat? I feel like I am not doing something right. Thanks for any input.

If you are having problems with foods coming back up your may not be ready for solids. Go back to things that go down easy. Then a couple of days go back to foods that your having problems with. You doctor can prescribe you Hyoscyamine for he stomach spasms. Your stomach is going to take some time with gettting back to real foods. Listen to your body. I had sugery on Feb 1st and I Just now getting to solid food that I was having a hard time with..

When adding in new foods, it can be a lot of trial and error. Something that bothers you, or causes discomfort should be avoided for a couple of weeks. You can even go back a stage in the food progression. For example, I couldn't tolerate scrambled eggs until just recently and I'm over 21 months out. They always sit extremely heavy in my sleeve, and even now I can barely eat 1 scrambled egg, but I can easily eat 1 solid cup of egg salad or 2 fried eggs. Go figure, right?

I relied heavily on mushy/soft solids such egg/tuna/chicken salad because those things went down just fine and I could get enough in to hit my Protein goals. Ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef) with Pasta sauces, ground meat with taco or fajita seasoning with greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute were all things that were on my menu every day for months on end. Stick with things that your body likes, and every week will get better. Sometimes progressing to more solid foods is more difficult for some of us, but that doesn't mean we aren't doing something "right". Our bodies just need time.

Hang in there, and know it gets better! ! !

Thanks for the help. I guess I am just expecting higher expectations on eating foods I was able to eat before. I just figured that I was going to be able to eat some of the same things I ate before but just in smaller portions and that just isn't happening...lol I am going to go back to the soft stuff again (Sugar free jellos and puddings) until I can figure out what will work for me. I appreciate the advice.

I had my sleeve on Oct.27th 2010 and up until the last few weeks my foods were extremely limited! My stomach wouldn't take any veggies but broccoli and spinach, I became severely lactose intolerant and the only meat I could eat with out vomiting was pork loin baked and that was only 1-maybe 2oz a day for almost 2 months I lived on tangerines( the only thing my stomach would tolerate weird but true) and pork loin! I became malnutrition and Vitamin deficient! the Surgeon upped my prilosec to 3 a day but I take on average 4-5 so I can eat! I avoid greasy and spicy but I am eating chicken, turkey lunch meat from the deli cut in shavings, egg beaters and even some dairy now! But I take it very slow when I eat and I listen to my body if within the first bite or 2 my stomach feels funny I quit eating whatever it is and try something different! I wish you luck and hope all goes great for you!!

I had my sleeve on Oct.27th 2010 and up until the last few weeks my foods were extremely limited! My stomach wouldn't take any veggies but broccoli and spinach, I became severely lactose intolerant and the only meat I could eat with out vomiting was pork loin baked and that was only 1-maybe 2oz a day for almost 2 months I lived on tangerines( the only thing my stomach would tolerate weird but true) and pork loin! I became malnutrition and Vitamin deficient! the Surgeon upped my prilosec to 3 a day but I take on average 4-5 so I can eat! I avoid greasy and spicy but I am eating chicken, turkey lunch meat from the deli cut in shavings, egg beaters and even some dairy now! But I take it very slow when I eat and I listen to my body if within the first bite or 2 my stomach feels funny I quit eating whatever it is and try something different! I wish you luck and hope all goes great for you!!

Yeah its so fustrating because I love food but it doesn't love me right now, and I love spicy food too but I am scared to eat certain things right now. Maybe I will have to take the spasm meds and prilosec to help. I am really bad about taking medications, I always forget. That is probably why I have the problems I do but thanks for the input and thanks for the luck, I will need it :)